My Civ 4 Modifications, Opinions wanted

Exavier

Destroyer of Worlds
Yes this is probobly not the proper forum for this but it doesn't qualify as complete yet and i wanted the opinion of regular players (not just the ppl who read the customization forum)

Any as i have been asked by several ppl to post this here is the current state of my modifications to Civ 4. unzip to <installation folder>\Mods

Mod Moved Here, New Name

Be aware that this mod is neither complete nor balanced and I am willing to make more changes to it. My main reason for posting it is to get some new ideas. I am just a basic modder so nothing in here is anything more then xml editing (and a few skins borrowed from other mods)

Changes:
-Destroyers - No Longer see subs, Though can still kill them
-Submarine - increased strength, given specific bonuses vs other ships
-Nuclear Sub - stronger then smaller sub, can carry 5 Tactical ICBMs, weak vs normal subs.
-Aegis Cruiser - From "Lost Units" Mod, only changes from this are promotions.
-Mark V Tank - From "Lost Units" Mod, WW1 style tank
-Privateer - From "Lost Units" Mod, Early wooden combat ship
-Ship of the Line - From "Lost Units" Mod, Upgrade from Privateer
-Bazooka - From "Lost Units" Mod, Anti-Armor infantry avalible at rocketry
-ICBM - Increased cost (by alot) and blast radius to 2
-Tactical ICBM - cheap nuke, single square target, designed for swarmign over SDI
-SDI - reduced effectivness to 60%, changed build cost to 2500 hammers
-Missle Silo - Building required before city can build nukes
-Fighters - Recon can see submarines (the early balance to destroyers not seeing them)
-Bombers - gave ship specific and land based class specific bonuses (makes it seem more realistic with carpet bombing and precision strikes)
-Fighters/Bombers - Can kill units (exept for WW2 Fighter, it can't)
-Cargo Plane - Airborne transport, carries 5 units, can rebase/load/unload to allied cities (open borders)
-Cannon - Changed to require Gunpowder and Engineering techs
-Sentry 2 and 3 Promotion - Upgrade from sentry to allow even longer sight range, useful for setting up early warning grids.
-Epic Speed - I modified epic speed so that all build/development times are the same as normal exept research costs are double normal. Ends up with normal construction but longer times between techs (more time to impliment new techs and war with them)
-Agressive Trait - I modifyed agressive train to apply to all unit types instead of just melee/gun. Seems to work well imo but haven't fully tested it for balance.
-Smaller Graphics - I reduced the size of the units by about 30% to help recude cpu load a little :p

I am probobly missing a few of them but thats most of the changes I have made so far. As I said i am always looking for more ideas, comments, suggestions... Feel free to post them or PM them to me :p

Again sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum.

EDIT: And yes the AI will use these changes (exept maybe the cargo plane)

EDIT 2: Further explanation of installation - Unzip this file set into <Civ4 installation folder>\Mods\
after thats done just boot up the game, go to Advanced in the menu and select Load a Mod... it will display a list, select my mod and hit ok. it will tell you in needs to restart the game, when its done it will load back up with the mod name in the upper right corner of screen. Now any game you start/play will be under the new mod.

Multiplayer games can be started as well as long as everyone who is gona be joining has the mod enabled.

These mods sound great. Just to confirm, they don't "mess" with the original game files in any way, correct?

You saw my suggestion on "subs picking target" mod, but I think it needs to be enhanced such that the sub cannot pick a target IF there is a sub in the defending stack (it MUST fight the sub).

I'll think on some more, and I will download your mods and try 'em out. Keep up the good work.

I think you should add a torpedo bomber: WWII fighter type plane that can attack and destroy ships.

I think destroyers should be able to see subs.

Destroyer can see sub ONLY if the sub attacks. That's real life.

Sub can choose which vessel to attack in a stack, but if a Destroyer or Aegis are in the stack, odds are highly against the sub getting it's wishes. If it looses the dice roll, it fights the Destroyer/Aegis (and probably loses, but CAN win). Not like the current game, where subs are even worse than cruise missiles, used for inflicting damage at best.

al_thor said:
These mods sound great. Just to confirm, they don't "mess" with the original game files in any way, correct?

You saw my suggestion on "subs picking target" mod, but I think it needs to be enhanced such that the sub cannot pick a target IF there is a sub in the defending stack (it MUST fight the sub).

I'll think on some more, and I will download your mods and try 'em out. Keep up the good work.

yea if you put it in the mods folder you just go into the advanced menu (ingame) and choose load a mod to activate this

Kolyana said:
I think you should add a torpedo bomber: WWII fighter type plane that can attack and destroy ships.

I think destroyers should be able to see subs.

Thought about it but My computer has problems with aircraft so i decided not to... might ad a bonus vs specific ships to the fighter later (it could double as a torpedo bomber)

As for Destroyers not seeing subs... True a sub hunting ship should but trust me this makes it more fun... During WW2 sonar wasn't a big thing bu planes use to run recon for ship to see U-Boats... thats what i was trying to simulate. early war sub combat... the Aegis is the Modern times sub hunter (at least thats how i consider it in my mod)

Sounds great:goodjob:. So how do I put it in the game and take it out for multiplayer or stuff (sorry forgot already)?

I believe that the defensive abilities of Forts need to be improved. Also the
bomb shelters are too effective against nuclear weapons.

Thanks so much for offering these alterations. I believe they go a very long way in correcting aspects of Civ that so many have complained about in these forums.

I must confess that I know nothing about modding. Can you please tell me exactly what I need to do to apply these changes? Also is there any downside to adopting these changes?

The Condor said:
Sounds great:goodjob:. So how do I put it in the game and take it out for multiplayer or stuff (sorry forgot already)?

thats it i am definatly gona nuke you :p

Unzip this file set into <Civ4 installation folder>\Mods\
after thats done just boot up the game, go to Advanced in the menu and select Load a Mod... it will display a list, select my mod and hit ok. it will tell you in needs to restart the game, when its done it will load back up with the mod name in the upper right corner of screen. Now any game you start/play will be under the new mod.

Multiplayer games can be started as well as long as everyone who is gona be joining has the mod enabled.

All right ... how does this work if I already have the Lost Units mod? Can I pick *BOTH* mods without ill effect, or just one?

Thanks, but however remember I still have my old bomb shelter and SDI defense so :p! Also, you left out how to take it out in case everyone doesn't have it *quickly runs back in bomb shelter and turns on SDI*.

Marshall Thomas said:
I believe that the defensive abilities of Forts need to be improved. Also the
bomb shelters are too effective against nuclear weapons.

Thanks so much for offering these alterations. I believe they go a very long way in correcting aspects of Civ that so many have complained about in these forums.

I must confess that I know nothing about modding. Can you please tell me exactly what I need to do to apply these changes? Also is there any downside to adopting these changes?

I need to do something with forts but honestly i never built one in Civ4 yet :p
As for the Bomb shelters I should do something about them... for now though a decent stack of the 200 hammer Tactical ICBM can overcome nuke bunkers very well :p

Kolyana said:
All right ... how does this work if I already have the Lost Units mod? Can I pick *BOTH* mods without ill effect, or just one?

I merged the mods... basicly i went in and manually copied the units i wanted out of that mod into mine (i didn't take them all). The reason i put the mod name in discription is to give them credit for the units I did take.

I don't take credit for work thats not mine :p

The Condor said:
Thanks, but however remember I still have my old bomb shelter and SDI defense so :p! Also, you left out how to take it out in case everyone doesn't have it *quickly runs back in bomb shelter and turns on SDI*.

Reboot the game and the mod will no longer be in effect unless you activate it again :p

EDIT: hmm now that i think about it I wish i could merge these 3 posts into one... i need to think before i reply :p

Wait... So we can only have one mod at a time oh and thanks?

yes you can only have 1 mod active at a time... thats why i took the time to copy the units I wanted out of the "Lost Units" mod into my mod... so when you activate mine you get those units i listed as being borrowed :p

Basicly all these mods ppl are making someone will eventually have to start merging them if you want more then one active.

FORTS:
I really dislike the fact that building one destroys the improvements. Why? I should be able to erect some sort of defensive bonus on top of my luxury/food/resource without also LOSING it. I might as well pilliage the square myself then!

Possible to mod this?

al_thor said:
FORTS:
I really dislike the fact that building one destroys the improvements. Why? I should be able to erect some sort of defensive bonus on top of my luxury/food/resource without also LOSING it. I might as well pilliage the square myself then!

Possible to mod this?

quite ossibly... i'll take a look and see.

One mod at a time?

Oh yeah, "Most modable game ever" ... please, do me a favor ... I should be able to combine mods for a truly flexible system. *sighs* thanks for combining Lost Units with yours, I can see why you've done that now.

Top Bottom