My Civ V Adventures

Turjo

Warlord
Recently I have started exploring into the world of MP games. I am hoping that this thread will not only have an entertainment factor as I tell the story of my MP adventures from my perspective, but also serve as a journal to record "lessons learned" for myself and other new MP players as well.

The adventure begins...

Turjo: Russia
Fellsen: Iroquois
rebecca_cesilie: England
jamesil: Greece
Luckystrike: France
Koenig(?): China (I can't remember for sure if it was Koenig...if you see that and it is incorrect, please let me know)

I, Turjo, mighty ruler of Russia, start off on the north western corner of an oval shaped continent. There is a mountain range that extends north-south along the entire continent with openings at the top, bottom, and a tiny one in the middle. To the far north-east of the island, England is founded. Just under me about halfway down the continent's coast, China finds a start, and on the southern tip, Greece.

I place my second city on a river to the south of me, just before I place it, I see China's settler approaching the same spot. I already know that this is going to lead to relationship complications. I immediately build 5 warriors and start on archers. I figure that I'll need insurance, so I contact Greece and propose a joint attack that will hit China's northern and southern border simultaneously. Greece agrees. China has its own plans and a DoW is issued just as my first archer is trained. Upon the declaration, I push into China's borders without support from the ranged unit. However, China already has at least two archers and a spearman waiting for me. I can see that I will not win the battle and begin a retreat back into my own borders with minimal losses. China pursues, but I have my own, newly trained archers arriving at the border at the same time. I ambush the units and have clear sailing to the northern-most Chinese city. Our joint attack works because Greece is then able to capture the Chinese capitol, located near the southern border. China GGs and exits the world.

Now I am sitting face to face with Greece, our primitive armies looking at each other across a very close border. We strike a gentleman's agreement to make it a demilitarized zone. Any aggression on passing through that border will require a 20 turn notice. I leave a single warrior and an archer stationed in the city to hold the border, just in case, and the rest of my army starts their trek northward towards a CS that looks like it would make a nice addition to my empire. In the meantime, I place two more cities towards the north, taking up the whole of the land on the entire western half of the continent. England is in conquest on the eastern half, but is still relatively small, but Greece has an expansion explosion and quickly balloons to cover the entire southern portion of the continent, allowing Greece to become game leader.

My efforts go mainly towards acquiring a military and I soon hold the number one military in all the world. England's conquest starts including some city states, and I notice that my ally, Dublin, is being surrounded by English troops. I contact England to verify intent. I am conflicted in allowing my CS to become overrun. It is a good source of troops since they have gifted me a few units so far. England attacks before I can make a decision so I move my army, conveniently located near Dublin, into place to counter attack. But I am still conflicted. I had just given the 20 turn notice to Greece and he is the main threat on this continent. Do I really want to start this new war with England and allow Greece to further the lead? I decide that if reparations are paid, I would once again focus attention to my southern neighbor. We make an agreement.

Unfortunately, soon after, the leader of Greece passes on from the world. He looks for a replacement ruler, but is unable to appoint one. Greece falls in an autopilot mode, run by the advisors. I quickly start an invasion and England does the same on the eastern half. I take three cities, raze one, and England takes all the eastern locations. The continent is now split down the middle with myself controlling the entire western half and England controlling the east.

My earlier decision to focus on a large military force is now coming back down on my head though. The upkeep is very expensive and I am a few techs behind the rest of the world. I try to increase my science output as much as I can, but many of my cities need to focus on gold in order for my empire not to run at a deficit. This heavily handicaps my progress. England, on the other hand, is able to fund their military by earlier wonders and soon fields the largest force in the world. I build a couple of scouts to patrol our borders to hopefully get a glimpse of any gathering army. The invasion starts in the north. Riflemen and cannons stream across the border. I am only able to field longswordsmen, knights, and trebuchets. I am able to upgrade a couple trebuchets to cannons, but money quickly becomes depleted as I switch my cities back into unit production and run at a very large deficit overall. The slaughter is terrible and I quickly lose my northern stronghold. I try to plug up the hold in the mountain range to stop the advance into my mainland with a citadel and cannons and am slightly successful. The advance is halted, but my troops are still at a very large disadvantage overall and I know that it is probably only a matter of time before the citadel is overrun. In the meantime, a southern army advances into my territory. My gold is gone and I am not able to upgrade any units. My knights, archers, longswordsmen, and trebuchets fall easily under the advancing force.

Now my original homeland is being threatened on both sides. Does England push through and conquer my lands? Am I able to pull out a miracle save and hold her off? Or do other nations, concerned with the growing English empire land on our shores and enter the war? Tune in after Sunday for the exciting conclusion!

Subbed.

The nations gather again to continue the story:

My war with England continues. However, she is able to stay one or two techs ahead of me. I hold her off in the north and mid section of the map, so she concentrates her forces on the southern sections and starts a march upwards. I defend where I am able to stall for time. I raze a couple of cities before they are taken to prevent England from taking strategic strongholds. This plan only buys little time though. I am able to upgrade the rest of my units to musketmen, cossacks, and cannons. However, England then upgrades to modern infantry and artillery. My only hope is to try to get artillery as fast as possible. I enter into research agreements with France. The onslaught continues until it reaches my original settlements. I am able to hold off the army here, but at heavy losses to my cossacks. I upgrade my musketmen to riflemen, but that is still too little against modern infantry. Under the bombardment of the artillery, my cities fall one by one and the once mighty Russia falls to England.

Top Bottom