[BNW] My custom icons don't want to work

YingYangYolo

Chieftain
As the title states, i can't get my custom icons for my civ to work, I have made the icons using this tutorial

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/tutorial-how-to-add-civ-icons-with-gimp-2.463116/

And i made the code by copy pasting the exact code from Kael's guide, everything should work according to the guides, but they don't want to.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameData>
<IconTextureAtlases>
<Row>
<Atlas>CIV_COLOR_ATLAS_LEGENDS</Atlas>
<IconSize>256</IconSize>
<Filename>CivSymbolsColorLegends256.dds</Filename>
<IconsPerRow>8</IconsPerRow>
<IconsPerColumn>8</IconsPerColumn>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>128</IconSize>
<Filename>CivSymbolsColorLegends128.dds</Filename>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>80</IconSize>
<Filename>CivSymbolsColorLegends80.dds</Filename>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>64</IconSize>
<Filename>CivSymbolsColorLegends64.dds</Filename>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>45</IconSize>
<Filename>CivSymbolsColorLegends45.dds</Filename>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>32</IconSize>
<Filename>CivSymbolsColorLegends32.dds</Filename>
</Row>
</IconTextureAtlases>
</GameData>

This is the code in CIV5IconTextureAtlases.xml.

<PortraitIndex>0</PortraitIndex>
<IconAtlas>CIV_COLOR_ATLAS_LEGENDS</IconAtlas>

And this is what i changed in Civilization.xml.

This is the image that is being made into a DDS: https://i.imgur.com/nwYqTrB.png

Does anyone know what's wrong with this? Because as far as i know this should all work, thank you.

Also sidenote: In the leader select screen every single leader below my custom one is removed from the list, no idea what's causing that either.

And i'm aware that this is probably posted in the wrong place, but i wasn't sure where else i should post it

Edit: Thank you whoever moved the post!

Last edited:
Without the mod itself zipped and attached to a post (or a link provided to a dropbox or similar sharing site) it's impossible to answer what you are doing wrong.
  1. Zip the version of the mod the game is actually trying to use, which will be found as a sub-folder in ~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS. Zip the whole sub-folder for your mod.
  2. See: whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial Just bear in mind that the process for actually adding the zip to a forum post is now different since the CFC website software was updated a few months ago about a year ago. To attach the zip to a forum post, look for a button called Upload A File when composing your thread reply: this button opens a browse menu where you can select the zipped folder to attach directly to a forum post.
  3. If the zipped folder is too large for the forum to accept then upload the zipped mod to a file-sharing site such as dropbox and provide a link where the mod can be downloaded.
    • Mediafire is not really a very good choice any more because they have become rife with spam and malware, as well as attempts to get you to download unwanted and uneeded kludge by confusing the layout of the download pages. You'll note for example that Mediafire links are no longer allowed on Steam, whereas CFC (this site) and dropbox links are still allowed.

Without the mod itself zipped and attached to a post (or a link provided to a dropbox or similar sharing site) it's impossible to answer what you are doing wrong.
  1. Zip the version of the mod the game is actually trying to use, which will be found as a sub-folder in ~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS. Zip the whole sub-folder for your mod.
  2. See: whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial Just bear in mind that the process for actually adding the zip to a forum post is now different since the CFC website software was updated a few months ago about a year ago. To attach the zip to a forum post, look for a button called Upload A File when composing your thread reply: this button opens a browse menu where you can select the zipped folder to attach directly to a forum post.
  3. If the zipped folder is too large for the forum to accept then upload the zipped mod to a file-sharing site such as dropbox and provide a link where the mod can be downloaded.
    • Mediafire is not really a very good choice any more because they have become rife with spam and malware, as well as attempts to get you to download unwanted and uneeded kludge by confusing the layout of the download pages. You'll note for example that Mediafire links are no longer allowed on Steam, whereas CFC (this site) and dropbox links are still allowed.

Alright, the file should be attached to my reply, should i make a new post for it or can i leave it here?

Attachments

• Sweddit Server (v 1).zip
    334 KB · Views: 137
neither your Buildings.xml nor CIV5IconTextureAtlases.xml files are being updated into the database, so the game does nothing with those two files.

you've also told the game to use PortraitIndex #4 from your icon sheet for the civilization, but that's a blank spot in your icon file. You only have an image in slot # 0

neither your Buildings.xml nor CIV5IconTextureAtlases.xml files are being updated into the database, so the game does nothing with those two files.

you've also told the game to use PortraitIndex #4 from your icon sheet for the civilization, but that's a blank spot in your icon file. You only have an image in slot # 0

Oh right of course, it's been so long since i played around with modding that i completely forgot that was a thing, but it being set to #4 was intentional, i changed it to see if anything would be different and forgot to change back before i zipped it, thank you! :)

Top Bottom