My Egyptian Empire

1SDANi

Sister Lady
So I decided to boot up a Paragon game and see if I could build a large empire with Egypt.

My goal was to bring my Militia up to Babylon, harass them so I could pop Pyramids, set up 3 cities in my core, go straight for War Chariots and set out to conquer Jerusalem and Babylon as fast as I can.

I got DOW'd by Persia and then by Greece. Persia made peace and payed me 60 gold, and I immediately DOW'd Carthage and took Sur. Greece gave me a bunch of techs for peace, and then Carthage suddenly made peace after Capitulating to Greece. Rome conquered Greece, DOW'd me twice, then collapsed and Christianity was founded in Iberian Qart Hadsht.

Right before the Fall of Rome I built a city in my southern core to get ivory to make a more modern army, though I soon remembered Horse Archers exists. My game ended as Plague ripped through my nation and sent it into a domestic crisis, causing me to collapse into nothingness.

Here's some pictures of an autosave of my empire at it's height:

Screenshot (16).png
Screenshot (13).png
Screenshot (15).png
Screenshot (14).png

EDIT: On second thought, perhaps I should have named this thread one post gloats so this could be a centralized area for everyone to gloat about games that they don't want to take the time to detail in a walkthrough. Instead of a thread devoted to an empire that was toppled by green faces.

Last edited:
EDIT: On second thought, perhaps I should have named this thread one post gloats so this could be a centralized area for everyone to gloat about games that they don't want to take the time to detail in a walkthrough. Instead of a thread devoted to an empire that was toppled by green faces.

Well, according to the bestselling book I am listening to now, civilizations rise and fall thanks to guns, germs and steel. But I still believe that within historical timeframe civs should collapse to their core, not to nothingness :sad:

Civ4ScreenShot0140.JPG

Ok, so it is officially possible to build both Sphinx and Pyramids at default difficulty for v. 1.5 as Egypt! I loath so much for Babylon to steal my wonder and nice Pyramid-Sphinx synergy, so I tried different strategies until I finally managed to win while building all real life Egyptian wonders and plus some of the Babylon's and Greece's, just to stick it to them :egypt:.

Settle one tile north and build 2 Militia. Only after that switch to Worker. Research is Masonry, Mythology and then beeline to Great Lighthouse. Walk those brave Egyptian men to Jerusalem. 2/3 times one of the Militia survives and get promoted. For this win I did completely luck independent approach with 4 Warriors -- 3 of them died at the hands of filthy Canaanite Archers, but one boy survived. The moment he saw Sumeria he declared on them and placed himself across the river from Babylon just when their worker was building the road on that damn Stone. Babylon will not attack across the river with two available Militia, will research archery and build 2 bowman. Worker will stay in capital, not even trying to improve Sheep for example. No, Babylon is really focused on Wonders, so they would waste 10 turns to kill my Egyptian hero. But his sacrifice was not in vain. Egypt will finish Sphinx, Granary, Pyramids, while Babylon will still manage to finish Oracle even without Marble. I was able to build Hanging Gardens in future Alexandria before the Lighthouse. It is amazing how populous Egyptian capital can get with those wonders (size 17). Never adopted Despotism, Monarchy all the way, but I had a feeling there was a cap on how many happy faces military can ensure? I used to think it is 5 or 6, but I was able to pacify. I only financed culture for 10 turns -- the rest came in naturally. I even wasted a Great Artist to boost the borders of that useless southern city I have built just to occupy my core. Both Greece and Rome are pretty weak with their 3 units next to two of my cities: 2 UUs and Catapult. It felt more like fighting barbarians then 2 famous empires, perhaps Greeks could use additionally one Mounted Unit for companion cavalry and Rome extra Catapult to represent their Ballista. :devil:

I was hoping to found Orthodoxy and use Nefertiti to build main Christian shrine :mischief: , but nothing happened when I researched Ethics. Probably Egypt is not included in historically appropriate place for Orthodoxy founding, which is a shame -- even after arrival of Arabs Coptic Christians still exist as persecuted but proud minority. Nelson Mandela score in the end.

Civ4ScreenShot0139.JPG

Last edited:
useless southern city

I'm offended. A non-crowded core city is never useless. It's a source of an extra simultaneous build, more commerce, more food, more stability, and it lets you work the gold.

I'm offended. A non-crowded core city is never useless. It's a source of an extra simultaneous build, more commerce, more food, more stability, and it lets you work the gold.
Ok, I take it back :blush:. I meant to say I could have win without building that extra settler, but obviously core cities are very useful.

There is no such thing as useless core city. Every pop in a core city means +1 pop you can have on foreign cities, multiplied by your era.

Athens, Epidamnos, Byzantion, Halikarnassos, Knossos. These are the five pillars on which an unconquerable Greek empire is built in v1.14 or v1.15. Build all your Settlers in Babylon and Egypt: do nothing that slows population growth in your five centres. Arabs? Let 'em have Knossos. Turks? Let 'em have Halikarnassos. Then destroy them and retake your core cities. Your Stability will thank you.

This is an excellent Egypt guide for Regent in DoC 1.15. I ignored the foreign adventures and concentrated on Egypt. For stability I built only Niwt-Rst in the core (almost double value for each population point in the single mega-city) - built Xou and Kumma outside it. Fought off Conqueror stacks for Rome and Greece. Won in 170 AD with a huge stack of Roman Legions ex Leptis Magna sitting outside Xou waiting for their Catapult to beat down my defences. Built Sphinx, Artemis and Pyramids in Niwt-Rst and Lighthouse, Colossus and Library in Xou.

Small addendum. There is no need to wait with conquering babylon. Send out your starting warrior straight away and wait with the setteling of your capitol until it has peacefully passed Jerusalem.

Don't forget to conquer Athens and use your great people to pop techs and I for one got to the UHV (on marathon Paragon) surprisingly easy.

Top Bottom