My first 5K!

The 777 Hoax

future skeleton
I'm about to run my first 5K race for a church festival on Sunday. Has anyone here ever run a 5K/10K/marathon, or any kind of organized race? What is it like?

I'm kind of nervous about it because there will be a lot of people there, I think. I'm not worried about running the whole distance, I know I can do that. I just don't want to make myself look like a total idiot.

Dont worry about looking dumb. Nobody runs a race to pay attention to other people. Just do your best.
5k, if you run often (a few times a week), shouldnt be too bad. I've done a few 5K's (and a few 5 milers)...and if I bring my Ipod, I forget I'm tired. Get plenty of sleep, and you'll be fine

I can barely run 1 mile and I'm in pretty good shape, so I don't know about a 5K.

I'm in great shape, and I'm not a distance runner by any stretch.

The fastest time I've ever got on one mile is 6:03.

Don't wanna run much more than that thank you.

For a guy being in the Army I always hated running. I ran a 10k once. It wasnt so bad...I do seem to remember getting wore out after the first few miles...then I got my second wind or something...most likely I just found my pace. Ran it slow but easy...think I recall I made it around the 45-50 min range. Like I said not great, but a nice easy pace.

I have totally crappy podiatrics.

My ankles suck, and are always aching. Two years ago I had surgery on my right ankle when I busted it up real bad.

My feet are a pair of planks. My family physician once remarked that they were some of the flattest he had ever seen. The sole of my foot actually portrudes outward when I am standing. Not good at all. I have orthotics, but still, I keep getting blisters and aches from flat feet.

It sucks to be an athlete with crappy equipment such as this.

I ran 5k's when I used to do cross country.

It's weird competitively, you can't like, just try and blaze past people because the race is so long, so basically you sort of glare at them out of the corner of your eye and hope they tire before you do. Eat a bagel 2 hours prior.

or a banana or two.

I loved cross country when I did it. Some days it sucked and I wanted to quit but on certain races I felt a high that rivaled great sex. The best was when you ended up right next to some dude about 100 yards from the finish line and you knew you had just a little more inside of you and he doesn't. Someday I'll get back into running again.

5km is quite a short distance, and you are still quite young, but you might want to improve your cardio fitness if you think 5km is any form of challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if you can do it easily, but that you just haven't tried it yet.

I did 8k as part of a corporate relay last month. I didn't fare too bad, under 45 minutes. I'll be doing the 5k at the Toronto marathon in October.

My goal is to run a half marathon within 5 years and a full marathon within 10.

I can barely run 1 mile and I'm in pretty good shape, so I don't know about a 5K.
I hate to say it, but if you can't run a mile...you're not in good shape.

I hate the 5k just because I'm not a distance runner. The best I've done on them is probably around 22 minutes. I absolutely loathed cross country last year, it just got boring for some reason. I'm not doing it next year, but it's not my choice. There's a new rule in the league that seniors have to be varsity, so seniors have to qualify under 21 minutes for 5k. I've never run that speed, and at the beginning of the season I'm not going to be able to.

It's the sprinter's life for me.

Syterion said:

Amen to that brotha!:goodjob:

Syterion said:
At every 5K race there's a select few who love to sprint most of the way. Just check out DC's race for the cure. People think it's a real race...

I ran a 5K race during lacrosse season this year, and I got like 18:34 or something, if I remember correctly. It wasn't that competetive so I got 4th but I could have gotten 2nd easily, but the two who "beat" me were a year or so younger so I decided not to crush their spirits since they attended the school that was hosting the run, and they would have friends cheering them on.

Top Bottom