My First Conquests Game

Strider

In Retrospect
Ok, I'm going to start my first conquests game (well, really second if you count the "test trial" I played for 10 minutes to make sure I installed it right.

Some data:

Maya
Huge Map
16 Civs
Emporer
Continents 70% water
Wet
Warm
5 Billion
Random Barbs

Starting it now, be prepared for some updates soon.

Also, I'll be switching between Third Person and first person often. So I hope no one get's confused.

I quickly go to start the game, clicking the PLay Conquests! button, it's not long though untill my hopes are dashed by a "Please insert the Civ3: Conquests CD" error. After a long and hard search for the CD, and once the C&C Generals CD is removed, I'm up and running to play conquests.

My story starts in the great plains, which are not really great, they were later discovered to actually only be 15 miles wide and 20 miles long, but our hero, Strider, led his tribe around in a circle several times, which led to the theory that the plains were much bigger than they actually are. Are hero was leading his tribe towards the wonderland, which several wise-men foretold was somewhere in the northwest. No one knows where that legend came from, or even who the wise-men were, but after a large shifting of power (several tribal elders were found shot by arrows), it was decided that the local barbarians have become to violent and that it would be wise pack up and search for the "wonderland." Now, In reality through a large mis-course in direction, the tribe actually traveled Southeast, and ended up by what they thought was the large Mississippi River. (It was also later found that the river was less than 4 miles long and joined into a much larger river away's down.) After an intense discussion it was finally decided that this was the mayan "wonderland" and the tribe settled the great city of Chichen Itza, in the year 3950 BC.
The Great City of Chichen Itza and surrounding area

Our Hero quickly decided that for his newly formed civilization to survive, they must "make mouth thing easier to talk with," and with that the Mayan civilization started working on an alphabet.

Now, inorder to understand the adventure's of our great Hero Strider and the Mayan Civilization, you must understand some several key factors about them.

They thrived on luck, and luck alone, the mayan people, in general were no smarter than your average monkey, and it was no unusual occurance for dozens of people to die from starvation, because of "shiny" thing's. With that being said, we can continue our story.

Now, for several hundred years the Mayan people thrived, but shortly there became a large problem. Chichen Itza, had become over-populated (this was in theory not a problem, as they could have just built more house's outwords, but no one thought of that.), after several meetings the elders finally decided to build another house ontop of all existing house's. This seemed to the Mayan People a great idea, and it took less than 20 yrs. to finish the project. Now at that point, this did fix the over-population problem, as many of the house's collasped in on eachother and killed several hundred people, and to the Mayan people that was all that mattered. (You can still find some of the "doulbe houses" that did not collapse today).

Now, as you may be thinking, it was not long until over-population became another problem, and once again the double-housing was suggested as proven solution, but that idea was discarded when our hero came up with the suggestion that they kick all of the women out to form there own city up north. This was widely agreed with, but it was not long untill the newly formed "Council of Elders" made a law that all cities must have an equal population of both genders.

With a well-working solution for the over-population problem in effect, there became another problem. Dead people, now up untill now the dead were usually buried in holes or thrown in a river, but the Mayan People shortly picked up the Aztec idea of "Ceremonial Burial."

During this time, the working on a Mayan "alphabet" was going very badly, so it was finally decided to burrow a well worked alphabet from the Incan people in return for "shiny objects."

Part 3

A quoting from several notes, believed to have belong to Strider
My arrangements with the American, Incan, Aztec, and Iroquois people went well. The Aztec people offered to teach our craftsmen "Bronze Working" in exchange for use of our wonderfully made alphabet.

As my troops sent out to explore the area returned with information of the surrounding terrian, I became even more certain that our civilization will become the greatest.

The following maps are one of the oldest, pre-dating before the use of map-making became prominent in the world. They show the Mayan terrority and it's surrounding area. Please note that the Mayan People had hardly had a well-worked alphabet, much less able to write very well.

Now, a short discription of the terrority, and the reason for there names.

Duck River- Though, it is the hosts of many ducks all year around, the river orginally got it's name from two pheasents. The most accruate story being that both of them were trying to catch a duck, though all there efforts went in vain. Finally, one of them decided to try to shot one, and told his buddy to duck. You can understand the confusion aroused by this statement, and he was unable to duck on time.

The Dead River- Was named because of the toll of lives it's velocity took. Now, it was not the river, but the ocean that it led to that killed most of it's victims, but they were still never seen again by the Mayan People.

The Little Plains- It was named because of it's comparison to the Mayan "Great Plains." (which as mentioned before, were not very great).

The Watchtower- Was offcially because you could see the activities of both the Mayan and Iroquois people from it's peaks.

The Bad Water- This was actually one of the most brilliant names of the Ancient Mayan People. To the Mayan People the water did not taste very good, also anyone who traveled to far into it's depths were eaten by various "Bad" creature's. So they named it the "Bad Water," fully clear of it's double meaning.

:lol: More!

Now, this point in the Mayan Civilizations history is unclear, for some strange reason the Mayan people became reasonably smarter, not brighter, but smarter. They became pratically genious, just with a total lack of any common sense. It is unclear why this change all of a sudden to place, but it is credited to the discover of a rare luxury in the Mayan terrority. The gem, now many of the mayan people were so curious about it, they started to try and study it orgins. This made people even more curious about thing's they had taken for granted before, and led to a scientific boom within the Mayan Culture.

This was not as good of a thing as it might have been made out to be though, this led to the discover of a powerful weapon called a javelin, and the forming of a army. Now, at this point you must understand the natural greed that overcome's a person has the power to make a large differance. The greatest hero's were those that overcame the greed, and used that power for good. Now, Strider's case was not one of those, and he immediantly set his eye's on the Iroquois land to the east.

In the spring of the year 1425 B.C. Mayan troops attacked the Iroquois town of Cattergous and burnt it to the ground. Now if this wasn't bad enough, in the summer of 1300 B.C. Iroquois Warriors attacked a Mayan exploration group, who did not know of the war. They were slaughtered. When this news came to the Mayan people, it enraged them, and led to a mass build-up of javelin throwers.

They Mayan vs Iroquois war was not one of the worst, but it had it's own effect. The destruction of two Iroquois cities, and the enslavment of many of there people made the Iroquois weak. When a peace treaty was finally made, the Iroquois gave up it's few technological secrets, and retreated from the known world. On the other end of the deal, this placed the Mayan people as one of the strongests, and with 6 enslaved workers to help with the dirty work, the Mayan civilization was ready for the Middle Age's, which shortly became known as the Dark Age's.

Shortly after the Iroquois vs Mayan war another war broke loose, though not a very violent war. The Germans demanded tribute, and the Mayans refused. Now, this was a turning point out of the Mayan greed. The germans attacked and captured the Mayan city of Yaxchilan. It was quickly re-taken by javelin throwers, but it sent a shock through the Mayan populace. They had lost a battle, they were not invincable.

To make matters worst, the Iroquois and aztecs settled land that the Mayans were forced to give up because of approaching german force's, this harmed the Mayan's badly, but the Mayan people had grown resourceful and decided to take a more peace like approach. They quickly built three cities. Each were to build a temple and take as much land from the Iroquois and aztecs as possible. At this point the Mayans also discovered something important, they had a large amount of gems, 8 known source's of it. This was a luxery that no one else had, and could be valable in trading. Only problem was, who would want it?

Now, to report some key points that had a small effect on the Mayan people. The Aztecs declared war on the Incan Empire, and in return made a military alliance with Amerca agaisnt the Aztecs. Now, I might have said this had a small effect on the Mayan people, but in reality it did. It slowed the three major powers down, and allowed them to catch up.

At this point in time, Mayan historians just stopped writing. There is few written records of the Mayan trenscendence into the A.D. years. The only know written reference is a journal by the Mayan leader, Strider.

These Mayan people, the once innoncent & peaceful people, had be shaken by there actions, and those of others. Technological advance's were coming fast and the world was changing. They were being forced into an unknown world, like a child being told that everything he thought was real, and his worst nightmares suddenly came true. This is where my recording of the Mayan civilization may end, but I will not give up my search for knowaledge. My curiousity has grown, and I wish to uncover the rest of these mysterious people.

I will steal the only known recording of this era of Mayan history.

Samual McWeever
Cheif Historian Director
573 A.D.

Samual McWeever was the first Historian to try to unravel the "lost" Mayan history, and to piece it together. Unluckily he was hanged on March 13, 573 A.D. All of the above was his attempt to piece together the information, his notes and journals. Sir, I will attempt to learn more, but I believe inorder to do so we will have to pick up from where he left off. Let's just hope we can find that journal, if it still exists.

It's been several months sense I last wrote you, my search for the journal did not go very well, but I did manage to find and acquire this ancient book. It was in the hands of an old man, I was not sure if he knew what he held or not, but I wasn't going to take the chance, so I killed him and took the book. Striders Journal begins in 270 B.C. I copied the page's from the book and they are attached to this letter.

Journal
270 B.C.
I hate my meetings with Vo Strader, he is the best military advisor I could ask for, but very lacking in the social department. We've been discussing the Aztec vs Incan and American war, most of the populace beliece's this is a minor event that has little effect on us, but I believe otherwise. If the aztecs are weakened enough, we could launch our on them ourselves, claiming the much needed Aztec terrority to our south.

To put it simply, we were not doing very good. We once believed we had a huge technological advantage over everyone else, and to hell with all we've believe. Now we see what a huge technological advantage is, and where the one's falling behind. We were relying on two thing's, are surplus on gems, and the building of a Great Library within the capital. Several of our cities already held small Libraries, which held our scientific effort, alittle.

250 B.C.
Now, what we were doing good in was gold, this soft metal was like an international form of currency, and we had alot of it. 381 to be exact, with 44 more pouring in.

210 B.C.
Something happened that could aid us, the germans joined the war against the Incan, and in return, the French declared war upon the Aztecs. This was quickly turning into a world war, and we weren't in it. This thought left me restless though, we were to sit here, and watch our allies struggle, and we profit from it. I did not want to take direct action agaisnt the Aztec & German people, but I wanted to help in some way. So, I gave the Americans a right of passage onto my terrority.

170 B.C.
Today I did something else to aid the war effort. Up until now the Aztec city of chalco's bordors expanded right up untill the Mayan city of Quirigua, but this has now changed. I took control of the Aztec lands, right up to Calco. This cut of a valueable aztec road, and slowed the advance of there army. My only question now is, will my people suffer because of it?

Alittle short on time, so I'm not going to beable to post some more today, but tell me what you think so far, please.

Ok, sorry for the extended wait, and I'm even sorry to say your have to wait alittle long for the next piece. I've been EXTREMELY busy this week. Should beable to play some more turns tommorow though.

Really bad news, I accidentally deleted the save to this game, when I was trying to delete a PBEM save. So this story has succesfully and adruptly ended. I'll start up a new story soon.

Ok, my new story has been started here.

Top Bottom