1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My First Deity Game

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by budweiser, Nov 11, 2016.

1. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

France Standard Standard Continents

Turn 75
    Started the game building settlers, trying to expand. Was kinda on the east side coast of continent. Met Egypt (psycho). Found 1 barb camp, but never had trouble with barbs although I expected it. I have Oligarchy with Consription and Agoge.

Met England and got a double DoW from her and I guy I hand't met. When that DoW happened from him, the AI picture that showed up was for France (bug?). Later found out it was Teddy. I captured a settler from Teddy and later bought peace before his armies could take the city I founded with it.

Meanwhile Egypt did a DoW and went for Paris. But she had far too few units. Now I took 1 of her cities and here we are.

See picture.
    Spoiler :

So, I am thinking I should at least take Swenett (horses), or should I just wipe the continent? Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Seems way too easy for deity. I hope they fix the difficulty soon, but not before I win this one.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. Gtdead

Gtdead Chieftain

Finish Egypt off. You don't need the religious threat.

Generally in my games I go after the religious leaders because if you let the AI do it's thing, it can win by turn 200.

3. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I chickened out and stopped after Swenett. I was afraid of the 30 str defenses after an archer got 1 shotted. England would not let up on me and settled a tiny city south of Senett. I took it with cats and pikes, then she made peace. 50 turns later, the map still looks the same. I will build up for a gunpowder assault on egypt with the UU. Yes, religious units are everywhere, they belong to egypt and england.

4. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

always, ALWAYS wipe the continent. Ignore economy and settlers, build more units and just smash everything. AI capitals tend to have their districts up already, which may or may not work in your favour since if it's the culture and faith ones, you need to cross the pop threshold to be able to build Hubs and/or Campuses (or is it Campi?)

CaiusDrewart likes this.
  5. RaidandTrade

RaidandTrade Prince

I've usually been going for continent clearing early on. Who needs haters? :)

Towers and catapults are pretty handy when walls come up - particularly if you use the siege mechanics. I usually fortify my melee units and let the cats go to town before getting the melee units too involved. Rams I find less useful - I prefer to keep the melee units healthy to maintain the siege (and to steamroll on to the next city).

Beware of Teddy if you're on the same continent. That +5 bonus he gets undid me on an earlier game...

6. Esperr

Esperr King

127 hours of deity, have never seen the A.I win yet. I dont think they can, they could hypothetically win a religious victory, but to many of the A.Is spam it making it to hard for one to take over. Pretty much as long as you survive to t50ish, your golden.

CaiusDrewart likes this.
  7. Gtdead

Gtdead Chieftain

I lost my first 2 deity games in sub200 turns to religion. I didn't know how to deal with it. Now I just track the religion leader and wipe him out, so no chance of this happening ever again. I've played 77 hours.

8. Esperr

Esperr King

you know you can just put scouts/workers/any unit around a city and they cant convert it right? Or if you dont want to do it the "cheesy way" just DOW them and kill there missionarys as they come. The warmonger penalty doesnt matter because all of the A.I hate you anyway, and the war weariness doesnt matter because it goes by battles fought, not just being at war.

9. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

yeah, I almost lost a game on Immortal once because I was careless about religion

10. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

Jealous of you guys, I don't know I've ever played a Deity game where the AI had mere <35 power cities after turn 60.

11. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I've finally climbed the ladder to deity. I'm not finding it to be easy, TBH. It can really depend on your neighbors. I've been going for straight military as Gorgo and trying to clear my continent, but some of those UUs (Varus and the Kongo one) are extremely tough to kill, and the AI spam them like crazy. Not easy at all. Doesn't help that hoplites are garbage. What kind of UU gets smashed in an even battle vs. a warrior??

idjit and CaiusDrewart like this.
  12. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I hate Hoplites too. The problem is that the unit they replace is so terrible that even a conditional +10 strength is not enough to make them good. Maybe all Spearmen should work like Hoplites, and Hoplites should get an extra bonus on top of that.

And yeah, Varus can grind pretty much any offensive to a halt. One time I even failed to conquer India as Scythia (!) because India had like 7 Varus, and those things just completely own Horsemen and Horse Archers. I had to wait until Cavalry came along to get Delhi. Of course, when I made that attack, the Indian army still consisted only of Varus and Warriors, just now organized into corps. Classic AI.