My first mod - The Kingdom of Sweden

richardsvensson

Chieftain
I'm about to start learning how to mod Civ VI, and as my first task I decided to create a new civilization; The Kingdom of Sweden. I will follow-up with information about my thoughts so far regarding the mod, but first something else.

I'm not only new to modding, I'm also new too this forum, please let me know if I break any of the rules (formal or informal) or if I post in the wrong part of the forums. I promise to listen and learn! :)

First of all, I couldn't find any manual regarding modding Civ VI. Aren't there any manual/guide/instruction?
So far I have only been copying and pasting (and a lot of deleting) from other mods published by other users here on the forum. This is of course perfectly fine for a start, but it's very limiting not being able to look up all options available.

I guess there are no manuals yet - as there are still no SDK or other tools released, we need to wait a bit until we can start modding in full scale. That shouldn't stop you getting inside the game files and figure out things already - there are pretty good instructions written in the code files telling what those do! Happy modding and welcome to the forums! :)

Kingdom of Sweden

"Sweden's doctrine of neutrality is often traced back to the 19th century as the country has not been in a state of war since the end of the Swedish campaign against Norway in 1814. Throughout the 20th century, Swedish foreign policy was based on the principle of non-alignment in peacetime and neutrality in wartime. During World War II Sweden joined neither the allied nor axis powers and during the Cold War, Sweden was officially a neutral country and remained outside NATO and Warsaw Pact membership."

Civilization Trait: Neutrality
Gains a production bonus (+5%) when Sweden is not in an alliance with another civilization and not at war.

Gustav I Vasa

"King of Sweden from 1523 until his death 1560. He has been labelled the founder of modern Sweden. The Protestant reformation in Sweden is generally regarded as having begun during his reign. The reformation meant the break with the Roman Catholic Church and the foundation of the Swedish Church and is considered the ending point of the Swedish Middle Ages. The reformation was instigated for a number of reasons: among these were an impractical organization, a perceived stagnation within the Catholic Church, and the financial need of money for the state. Gustav I used the Protestant Reformation to curb the power of the church and in 1527 he persuaded the Riksdag of Västerås (comprising the nobles, clergy, burghers, and freehold peasants) to confiscate church lands, which comprised 21% of the farmland.

Tax reforms also took place during his reign, whereby multiple complex taxes on independent farmers were simplified and standardized throughout the district; tax assessments per farm were adjusted to reflect ability to pay. Crown tax revenues increased. Sweden's economic strength grew rapidly, and by 1544 the king controlled 60% of the farmlands in all of Sweden. Sweden now built the first modern army in Europe, supported by a sophisticated tax system and government bureaucracy."

Leader Trait: Reformation, Reduction and Tax Reform
After discovering Reformed Church, Sweden gains a gold bonus (+2) for every building in the religious district but also receives a faith penalty (-10%).

Gustav II Adolf

"King of Sweden from 1611 to his death on the battlefield 1632. He is credited as the founder of Sweden as a Great Power. Gustav II Adolf was the main figure responsible for the success of Swedish arms during the Thirty Years' War and led his nation to great prestige. As a general, he is famous for employing mobile artillery on the battlefield, as well as very aggressive tactics, where attack was stressed over defense, and mobility and cavalry initiative were emphasized. He was known by the epithets "The Golden King" and "The Lion of the North" by neighboring sovereigns and some have called him the "father of modern warfare", or the first great modern general.

Gustav II Adolf made Sweden one of the great powers of Europe in part by reforming the administrative structure. For example, he began Parish registration of the population, so that the central government could more efficiently tax and conscript the people."

Leader Trait: Parish registration
After researching Military Tactics, Sweden get a bonus to construction of military units (+5%) and a bonus to great general points (+2). All light cavalry start out with the promotion Double Envelopment.

Leader Unique Unit: Regementskanon
A unique artillery unit that replaces Bombard and has extra movement (+1).

Gustav III

"King of Sweden from 1771 until his assassination in the opera 1792. Gustav III is regarded one of the leading sovereigns of the 18th century for patronage of the arts. He was very fond of the performing and visual arts, as well as literature. He was also active as a playwright. He is largely credited with creating the Royal Theatre (Kungliga Teatern), where his own historical dramas were performed, and he promoted the careers of many native singers and actors by letting them perform in his plays or in his commissioned operas, respectively. In 1773 he founded the Royal Swedish Opera and the Royal Swedish Ballet under the umbrella of his Royal Theatre and a new opera house was built in 1775. He also founded a separate entity for spoken drama, the Royal Dramatic Theatre.

It is widely agreed that the contribution and dedication of Gustav III to the performing arts in Sweden, notably the building of the theatre houses and the founding of a national theatre company, has been crucial to the Swedish culture."

Leader Trait: The Thatre King
A bonus to construction of all cultural buildings (+10%).
After discovering Opera and Ballet, Sweden gets an increase in Great Musician Points (+2) and Great Writer Points (+2).

My plan with this mod, as you can see above, is to have three different leaders for one civilization. The leaders are all from different centuries and they have different benefits.

Gustav I Vasa - 16th century - Economy
Gustav II Adolf - 17th century - Military
Gustav III - 18th century - Culture​

I realize that there is a need for extensive fine tuning and balancing before this mod would be playable. And, of course, the modding itself will take a lot of time before that.

I guess there are no manuals yet - as there are still no SDK or other tools released, we need to wait a bit until we can start modding in full scale. That shouldn't stop you getting inside the game files and figure out things already - there are pretty good instructions written in the code files telling what those do! Happy modding and welcome to the forums! :)

Ok, I guessed so. :) The real modding have to wait then. I'll spend the time just trying a few things out, and perhaps doing some more reading on the leaders to make sure they get the most appropriate traits.

Thank you! :)

I really like the flavor and seemingly good balance of the three different leaders. Interesting traits and unit.
I'm looking forward to see your first release of this. :)

A short update:

I'm slowly making some progress on the Swedish civilization. However, I've decided to replace the Neutrality trait with a Nobel Prize trait. The reason is that a Neutrality trait is difficult to combine with Gustav II Adolf, and having a bonus for staying out of war when playing as him just doesn't make sense.

It has taken a LOT of time to get into the structure of how to mod the game, much longer than I expected, but now it's at least possible to start a game with any of the three Swedish leaders.

A lot of work still remains for the four traits though. So far only the Reduction trait for Gustav I Vasa is (almost) done. The gold bonus is added to the Shrines and Temples but this bonus is given from the start of the game, so what remains to be done is to find the correct OwnerRequirementSetId to give the bonus only when the civic Reformed Church has been discovered. If you have a suggestion regarding this, please let me know.

(Obviously, all numbers has to be balanced in the end. At the moment I'm focusing on getting the modifiers to behave as I want them to.)

Awesome.

I want to make my own civs too, any idea where I can find a guide to learn this?

Top Bottom