My First True MP Victory

Ninja Dude

Sorry, I wasn't listening...
Okay, let me explain the situation I was in. It was maybe my third multiplayer game and I was absolutely terrible. I had no idea what techs to research and my most advanced units were pikemen, despite the fact I had been in the industrial age for quite some time.

Well, everyone except me and this other player had quit. I was going for an economic victory, getting as many markets and banks as possible. I had huge cities guarded by many armies of elite pikemen (I have to credit AI attacks to their power).

So here I am all safe and sound, occasioanlly fighting off the Greeks (possiblly the most annoying civ during this match when all of a sudden the other player attacks me! This had turned into an epic battle as he threw Samurai Knights, bombers, and even tanks at my capital, Beijing. I laughed like a madman as my Pikemen Armies killed his advanced units. However, slowly but surely he began wearing down my defences.

At this point I had begun construction on the World Bank at Wuhan, my northern most city on the "main continent". I had intended for my southern cities to slow down the Japanese invasion force until I could complete the World Bank. And with my success at Beijing I felt fairly confident with this plan. However, with the Greeks and Japanese hammering Beijing, I started to panic. By the time I had access to Riflemen, Beijing was on its last legs, my once immortal Pikemen getting obliterated by tanks.

I slowly began my retreat, abandoning Beijing and rushing my troops north to Wuhan for a last stand. While my southern cities continued to get captured I decided to make a Plan B. Under my control were a few islands that had some industrial capabilities. I had one begin work on the World Bank in case Wuhan fell to the enemy. And so I waited, messages popping up telling me of Greek, Roman, and Japanese cities changing hands as my own cities get captured by the Japanese. However, brief pauses in Japanese attacks gave me hope that the Greeks and Romans could buy me enough time to finish the World Bank at Wuhan, currently my only city left on the main continent.

With only a handful of turns left before the completion of the World Bank, Japanese Tank Armies rolled into sight. Some of them were destroyed if I can remember correctly, but Wuhan was doomed. I still only had a few Riflemen and my Pikemen Armies were getting trashed. Then, a miracle happened. the Spanish, my nieghbors to the north, declared war on the Japanese! Spanish Tanks destroyed the Japanese forces surrounding Wuhan, making victory actually possible. I laughed at how lucky I had been for a couple turns when the most cruel twist of fate had hit me. The Spanish had declared war on me!:mad:

I looked on in horror as the Spanish Tanks that I had once praised as saviors were now taking away my most valueble city! Then I remembered! Plan B! While the the World Bank wasn't as close to being done as it was in Wuhan, it was still possible for me to achieve victory. I watched as turn after turn went by, my former cities being fought over by Japanese and Spanish forces. However, I felt safe as I remained hidden from Japanese forces. But I still had to deal with the Greeks and Spanish, both of whom knew fully where my last few island-cities were located.

The Greeks were easy to deal with. I simply dug into my old gold reserves and obtained peace with them. The Spanish however, were very intent on ensuring my absolute destruction. Spanish ships occasionally came buy, attacking the handful of subs I was able to assemble. By this time it was 2050. I had three cities, all of which had one or no units actually inside of them. by the end of one wave of attacks, the Spanish had left me with a cruiser and a submarine. Soon, the submarine was sunk, despite inflicting heavy casualities before sinking. However, the cruiser was a few regions away from the city I was protecting. Once again the Spanish decided to instill a feeling of dread in me as they sailed a gallion right next to my city! I was almost sure this was the end of my luck, but nothing happened. No tanks or soldiers came marching out of the ship. It just floated there, as if had forgot what its purpose was. Then it was my turn. My cruiser attacked the Spanish ship, destroying it easily.

After that victory, I just waited a few more uneventful turns for my World Bank to be built. Sure, the ending may have been boring, but the battles were very exciting for me. From the fall of Beijing and Wuhan, to the Battle of the Islands, it was a very tense game.

Also, I apologize for any spelling errors or stupid mistakes made by me. I also apologize for not remembering what the names of a lot of my cities.

Edit: I'd like to note that I had made a "Plan C" city on an extremely remote island that I had found. It was a back up incase both Wuhan and my other cities fell. If I remember correctly it was made either a little bit before or after the fall of Wuhan.

I felt like some kind of evil villian, making all of these hidden lairs on remote islands.

Nice story!

This is a good example on how a seemingly bad position can get you the win if you just fight it out instead of leaving the game as soon as you loose a city or two.

Nice story!

This is a good example on how a seemingly bad position can get you the win if you just fight it out instead of leaving the game as soon as you loose a city or two.

If I remember correctly, here are the losses:

1 City to the Japanese from culture flip (I think this city made it easier for them to attack me)
3-4 Cities lost to Japanese
1 City lost to the Spanish

I think losing the first city to the Japanese due to a culture flip is what messed me up. I hadn't seen a single Japanese city before that city flipped, which leads me to believe that if that city hadn't flipped, the Japanese would have had to spend large amounts of time gettiong units to attack me.

However, the city flipped. It acted like a perfect forward base too. It was near hills and mountains, had a wall, and was right next to my capital.

Top Bottom