my first unit: bomb thrower(feb 11, 2008)

ruby_sauce

Outside the box
UPDATE 25th august 2023: I actually created an updated version of this. If you somehow find yourself in this thread, I would like to redirect you to HERE:

well, my first unit (that actually works, my other one got lost :()

unit is game tested

previews (the colors are a little weird, they dont do this in-game. also, they are a little slower than in-game):

(default - fidget - fortify - attack (x2) - victory - fortify - attack - death)

the jacket is civ-colored, as well as the tip of the bomb, and if you wonder, the pedia pic is from the fidget file, where he throws the bomb in the air.

in-game image:

I made this one before I knew about navydawgs 240*240 unit setup, so thats why he doesn't throw the bomb all the way... I'm very sorry about this :(

as for sounds, the attack is an altered modern armor attack, and I took some sounds of civIII units that I thought fitted nice enough, I included them in the zip, and in the ini file.

though I don't think anyone will use it, ENJOY!

download him HERE

Last edited:
Wow, big bomb! This would be fun to use as a 1905 anarchist or something.

well.. where's the download?
it's quite a cool unit.. but yeh, it kind of sucks that he doesn't throw it further

yeah I forgot to add the download at first. It is there now ^.^

Good start! You've got to redo that palette though. Also, I don't think the explosion should cast shadows.

One hint: when a character moves his feet, his hip should move too, in the same direction. Then it looks like he's really stepping, rather than floating over his legs.

plotinus, are you referring to the weird colors on the first preview? because I tested it, and ingame everything is normal. I don't know why it is weird in the preview.

and he is moving the hip, only in later frames >_<. thanx on the feedback though!

Pretty neat!

Jeez, adjust the animation and he could go bowling with that thing...

Ruby, congrats on your first unit. You seem to have the basics of unit making down, and have created an original, fun unit in the process of learning. I'm sure your future units will get better. The pallette could use some work, but it is not as bad as it appears in the preview. Watch the shades of magenta in lines 5-10. Also, it looks like some civ colored pixels made their way into his pants and around his body. Keep it up!:goodjob:

The colors in the preview aren't like that in game. I am @ school ATM but when I get home I can post a screen of ingame

ruby_sauce... Fun First Unit :cool:
I am sure you will get good feedback from unit makers that is all meant to offer help.
...The unit changes colors due to using three different palettes for the animations. Try combining all storyboards on one when you make the palette. This will provide the best color match for all animations and all Flcs will use the same palette. It is ok to use different palettes for some things such as Explosions or animations that will not alter the Default Color of a unit.

Some shadow shades will become other colors that are in your palette if they match closer than the True Shadow shades that are meant for shadows. This happens because Anti-Aliasing blends the Magenta Background with the Unit Colors so the subtle shadows surrounding the unit are a mix of shadows and Unit Color. When you apply your palette to nearest color matching, those shadow shades match other colors in your palette better than the intended shadow shades. This can be seen better in Flicster when you view the Unit with other Civ Color Palettes. It may look fine with the Original Palette in Flicster but try viewing it in Red #1 for example. Check different palette colors to see better.

...Try experimenting with removing a frame in Poser to speed the fall of something such as the Bomb in the Fidget. Going up is ok but coming down it sort of floats. Same on the Death fall for him and the second bounce of the Bomb coming down. His ankles and feet should come off the ground or roll up as he falls. Death Falls are one of the most difficult to make natural.
... be sure to set the Frame Rate in Poser to what you want for the animation before rendering. Do the math concerning the number of frames and the Flc speed you plan to use.

...The units_32.pcx image should have the correct palette added to it and not use any shadows normally. It will help if you open and view the Original Game Units_32.pcx File. You will see that the Units do not use shadows around the unit and are sharp images.

...I am sure you will discover many things that will help you gain even better results. You can make Explosions that you may like better for example.
You have done Very Well for your First Unit.

I'd say another pissed-off juggler. :crazyeye:

plotinus, are you referring to the weird colors on the first preview? because I tested it, and ingame everything is normal. I don't know why it is weird in the preview.

Yes, I committed the cardinal sin of commenting on a unit on the basis of the preview alone and not looking at it properly. The actual colours are much better.

The only other thing you need to bear in mind is that people move their bodies more than that. For example, try throwing something by moving only your arm and not twisting your body at all - it's unnatural. So in your attack animation, the Hip, Abdomen, and Chest should all twist round to the left as he throws. You can try adding a bit of tilt as well, which really adds life. I think if you get the hang of that you'll be well on course, because otherwise this is a very good first unit.

Top Bottom