My First War Victory - Is it normal to feel this bad?

I feel like this some times. In my current game I'm English on small continent map. Whatever is one level above king I think. My only neighbor on the continent is Hiawatha. I founded my 4th city and figure ill sit back and let my towns grow a bit. I have no problem with Hiawatha....We even have a research agreement pending. And what does he do? He founds a city right in the center of my budding empire. Right in the heartland I was planning on developing once my towns were up and running.

Well what did he think was going to happen? Come on man...I got longbows for God's sake. What do you think is going to happen to your town?

Well it depends on what civ I'm playing, because recently I've gotten really into role-playing. If I'm playing a civ like America then I feel terrible about meanless warmongering & I won't do it. War only for liberating. But if I'm playing a civ like China or Japan, expand & warmonger away! Although in general I do not like nuking at all, unless I really have to.

Well it depends on what civ I'm playing, because recently I've gotten really into role-playing. If I'm playing a civ like America then I feel terrible about meanless warmongering & I won't do it. War only for liberating. But if I'm playing a civ like China or Japan, expand & warmonger away! Although in general I do not like nuking at all, unless I really have to.

America and meaningless warmongering go together...

I don't feel bad if the civs are jerks or started the war.

But if the civ is friendly to me and we're on good terms, I keep it that way.

But then again, I don't go for domination wins.

Naw, I wouldn't. I seldom go for the dominance victory because it's too easy, but when I do, I revel in the destruction.

You think it's to easy, play FEED THE BEAST! :D

It's a game.

The same people make moral statements are the same ones who champion worker stealing (kidnapping/slavery) and farming barbs for experience (murder).

It's a game.

I'm always peaceful whenever I'm playing a serious game. My one and only domination victory ever was when Alex was planning on attacking me on a two player map(found out by my spy). I did a preemptive strike and ended up capturing his capital.

Personally I LIKE when warmongers kill peaceful civilisations. Why? Because things like that makes the game interesting. I wouldn't play civ if it was game only about peaceful empires building cottages, this is not SimCity.
:agree:
It's fun to have a game where there's an aggressor civ. I've played alot before where I play the good guy and liberate other civs who have been conquered and take an aggressor down to size.

Well, if you're like me, it is normal...I can do some warmongering to liberate captured nations or to assist an ally in a war against a nation I hate, but I can't really go for a domination victory without feeling kinda depressed.

Right there with you, Majah. I don't like being bad, even in a game. I know, I'm soft. :crazyeye:

It's a game.

The same people make moral statements are the same ones who champion worker stealing (kidnapping/slavery) and farming barbs for experience (murder).

It's a game.

:agree:
Despite I prefer peaceful games, it's a game. And you're not in Ender's game, I hope.

I think I'd feel bad if I was playing against human players who were fairly newbie and were approaching the game in a "lets have fun" sort of way.

OTOH, against the AI, or against players who know that Civ is a cut-throat competitive game, I'd never feel bad about sending my armies in unprovoked, so long as I was doing so because it helped me win the game or gave me a better chance of winning the game.

I typically play for a Science/Dip Victory and I can tell you that these "peaceful" Civs have attacked me more than once. On occasions they'll even gang up on me. You could wait till some of these nations turn against you, but then of course you'd be playing a late game Dom Victory and you'd have to disable Time Victory.

I'm odd about it. If I'm fighting traditional I don't mind or feel bad much. However, I just can't bring myself to use nukes. I've played civ for years and never used one in III , IV, or V except once on 3 to see what it did. It just seemed so game-breakingly powerful to me. The first strike became the last. I think I feel worst about the huge population loss. It's like genocide. I know it's kinda like that when you take a city but I pretend it's not the case and I'm marching in and taking charge in an orderly fashion. :p

I used to feel bad. Sometimes I still do, however over time I've gotten a bit more calloused. Playing Zulu and Germany broke me of some of my feels. ;)
Being calloused is sign of being mature as a country's leader.You are on behalf of your own country not foreigners. lol.

I agree with paulstream, especially regarding the so annoying Alex. It is sometimes hard to have to destroy a life-long friend whom I have traded with down the centuries. ;)
So long as they are friends with me and have no signs of being delirious, I also want to spare them. But if they get impatient and show anything abnormal, I will start to prepare for a war. Because I am cautious.

Reminds me of when i played as poland and mongolia was my only freind but genghis attacked my city state allies all the time so i nuked him back to the stone age he went from a population of 20 millions to 50.000 in two turns i felt like an a**hole.

Why did you not warn him in the first place ?you were imprudent.

I also revel in the holocaust when i get totally pissed off. Being offended by a then friend is like being betrayed by somebody you trust, thus I spare no effort at war. Also, it is a message to others that I am not a timid hare who can be fiddled around.

If Hitler had won in real life, I imagine he would have slept like a baby. That you feel this way over a game says good things about you.

Evil baby with wings.laying besides a heap of skeletons. lol

Top Bottom