My friend claims he receives triple promotions with barbarians?

Athenaeum

Prince
He has been playing as the Huns recently and claims that on several occasions he achieved triple promotions on Horse Archers from fighting barbarians.

He is not a noob and has logged a couple thousand hours....so he is completely aware of the typical 2 level promotion cap from fighting barbarians. But he swears that this has happened to him lately.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to explain this?

Ah, I'm dumb.

So if you build Barracks, does that mean you can get 3 promos from barbs?

No. Barracks give units 15 starting XP, half way to the 30 XP cap for combat with barbs. The free promotions that certain unique units start with (such as horse archers, immortals, etc.) don't use any XP.

So if you build Barracks, does that mean you can get 3 promos from barbs?
You probably inferred this from Browd’s reply, but actually it the opposite. If you build Barracks, that means your units can only get 1 promotion from barbs! So I usually hold off on Barracks until after the barbs start to get rare. Any units I build after turn 50 or so I really like to have Barracks (and latter Armory ASAP) because barb xp becomes rare.

It's also possible that he was fighting ethopia units, they look very similar to barbarians unless you pay close attention to the black color. lol I've gotten ethopian units mixed up with barbarians often.

It is impossible unless you turned off the cap to barb xp. Your friend must've got a unit that started with 1 free promotion already and got confused when he got 2 more from barb. XP buildings such as barrack grant XP and is counted towards the barb xp cap so you can't get extra that way either.

It's also possible that he was fighting ethopia units, they look very similar to barbarians unless you pay close attention to the black color. lol I've gotten ethopian units mixed up with barbarians often.
This especially when I was a noob and did not understand why I was getting the declare-war pop-up. Don't know how many times I declared war on Highlie Unlikely before I figured out I was not trying to attack a Barbarian. Getting the Diplo Screen with Highlie :nono:-ing me was really confusing.

Top Bottom