1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My Funniest Win: Our Glowing Nuclear Family

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by loveandpolitics, Dec 24, 2005.

1. loveandpolitics

loveandpolitics Chieftain

I am by no means an expert at this game and certainly not one of those who try to make a scientific study of the game. I've only had CiV for a very sort while but have managed to work up to Noble thanks to my previous experience and these forums.

Unfortunatly I sucked at all kinds of conquest, and up to now I spent all my games peacefully chasing culture. Four games ago I decided to try my hand at war. End up between Tokugawa and Catherine. Catherine whipped my ass while I was picking on Toky...Two games ago, exactly the same as above even the same civs. One game ago. Once again exactly the same. (How is it possible that I end up between the same 2 for 3 times?)

Anyway, this time I play as China. First game after the patch. Things are going easy for me, very easy and Washington is soon whiped off the map. To the north I discover Spain is the only civ that shares the continent with me.

I invade Spain, but get stuck. Manage to get 3 cities though, but I lose one again. I decided to wait, so I could experiment with nukes for the first time. However Spain invaded me and destroyed 2 of my good cities. So I launch my *first ever* six nukes on them. Another 18 nukes follow and I raze every single Spanish city, even the one with the Statue of Liberty.

Now I notice that I've fallen way behind in score, only Russia and the Aztecs are still alive with 15 turns to go for score victory and both are ahead of me. I pump my entire economy into building nothing but ICBMS. Ironically with 1 turn to go I've managed to build another 22.

So I decide if I must lose, I'll go out with a bang. So I start nuking Montezuma. To my great suprise I notice his score drops with each hit! Six nukes later he's waaay behind me.

So I nuke Catherine with the last 16. She has SDI but I get enough through. 2049 my score is the top once again and I win a score victory! Nothing is as sweet as the victory you never think your gonna get!

Total for the game: 44 Nukes launched!

2. iron_monkey

iron_monkey Chieftain

That's not a bad strategy...I like it :)

How are you finding the game on Noble right now? I'm still on Warlord and thinking about making the transition up to Noble but it's a bit of a leap having your advantage cut off (I know, I shouldn't need an advantage). Any little tips at all?

3. Andygal

Andygal Warlord

If all else falls, NUKE THEM BACK TO THE STONE AGE!

4. niffweed17

niffweed17 Warlord

nah, nuking them is only successful as an absolute last resort since it causes insane desertification.

5. loveandpolitics

loveandpolitics Chieftain

Don't stress it, I'm not that good and I started at noble. I just moved to prince and having no trouble at all. Just understand the basics...the computer won't cheat on noble, but it won't be soft on you either.

Have a good start with settlers, workers and military units. Defend your bases and expand properly. If you want to avoid war like I do most of the time just play carefully with religion (i.e. have no religion or the religion of your neighbour or let them have yours-build a friendly coalition sourrounding you). Understand the basic rules of the game such civics and maintainance.

Cultural is not too tough, just get lots of culture buildings and a few well placed wonders...Specialize, but all your culture wonders in 3 cities. Play on quick or normal (on epic you need and additional 25 000 culture per city). Just don't stress noble is no problem. If you do have problems try playing the first few at always peace, then move on to having barbs put off, then full war!

Avoid nukes, every turn multiple squares turned to desert in my last game! Unless you build 50 of em :)

The secret is not too stress, it's just a stupid computer and on noble they don't get to cheat yet!

6. lucky donkey

lucky donkey Chieftain

I never had the chance to lauch nukes (im still at my first game!) so i was wondering how expensive are nukes??

7. Mike Lemmer

Mike Lemmer Prince

Not that expensive, honestly. Your dedicated military city, for example, should be able to crank one out every 3-4 turns. The biggest hurdle is researching The Manhatten Project. The computers usually don't research it, either.

8. xonixs

xonixs Warlord

WOOT.. what the heck is this.. Leave Spain alone. Spain is good they dont deserve your destructive nukes.

HAHA!! Yes dont nuke Spain. This will be a lesson for you next time you deside to nuke Spain.

9. moggydave

moggydave Warlord

ive just made the transition up to noble, my only victories so far have been score ones but ive been ahead by miles on every warlord game ive done

so on my first noble game ive found myself going fo a domination victory with gandhi of all people i plan to nuke the frnch later but its unlikely (we're onlyentering industrial age at 1900?)

10. Acceptable_Loss

Acceptable_Loss Chieftain

You'll manage... In my opinion there is no reason to play on anything less than noble if you have asperations to play on noble or higher every. The strategy's you are learning on warlord will not help you on noble or higher.
    I say it's better to lose your first few noble games if it comes to that because you will be much better afterwards...

Here's a good analogy... playing on warlord to learn to play on noble is like using training wheels to learn to ride a bike... which don't accually help you learn to ride a bike at all they simply help you deal with the fear when you ride for the first time... The sooner you take off the training wheels the better.

... back on the subject of this tread... nuke can be amazing in the late game if you have lots or productive cities or lots of gold/The Kremlin...

I'm surprised you where able to get enough nukes through the SDI to win... good job!