[LP] My hopes for improvements to the main game between now and March 2023

If this has been brought up elsewhere, then I apologize....but I really need to vent about this issue. As much as I certainly won't turn down free new content, I do hope Firaxis also use the Leader Pass as an opportunity to fix some glaring issues I have noticed since the NFP came out.

1) AI not improving Luxuries. This is most definitely my biggest bugbear. I have played several games in 2021-22, and very rarely have I seen the AI improve the luxuries within their own borders. At best they'll improve a single copy of a single resource, but no more. This effectively means no luxury trading.

2) AI not making use of several NFP features. Barbarian Clans, Secret Societies and Monopolies/Industries/Corporations are all great concepts-in theory. However, if I am the only one using them, then it makes me feel like I am cheating. In fairness, the AI seems to make full use of Secret Societies, but makes zero use of Barbarian Clans or the Monopoly/Industry/Corporation system (the latter makes sense when you consider point #1).

Anyway, I really, REALLY hope Firaxis use this period of time to make important fixes such as these.

My understanding is the glitch you're observing with the AI not improving luxuries is caused by the Monopolies game mode (to the point I've not tried the game mode, and I've not seen it) - I'd definitely want such a blatant issue fixed as soon as reasonably possible, but in the mean time it might be best to simply disable the Monopolies game mode.

My understanding is the glitch you're observing with the AI not improving luxuries is caused by the Monopolies game mode (to the point I've not tried the game mode, and I've not seen it) - I'd definitely want such a blatant issue fixed as soon as reasonably possible, but in the mean time it might be best to simply disable the Monopolies game mode.

Ah, didn't realise that. Sad that I only learned this when I am already up to the Industrial Era of my current game! I am actually tempted to send my builders into AI territory to see if I can upgrade their luxuries myself 😉

I do hope Firaxis also use the Leader Pass as an opportunity to fix some glaring issues I have noticed since the NFP came out.
It really doesn’t look like they will.

I mean, +1 for Firaxis addressing the points you raise. I’d add the AI Science bug too. But, yeah, don’t think it’ll happen.

It’s really quite frustrating.

Civ VI was such a great game right from the start and has then received massive amounts of support well past its original planned end point …

… and yet, with the benefit of Civ V (which in some ways was a beta for Civ VI), the game being released on multiple devices, pretty decent support from modders and streamers etc, plus two expansions, a mini-expansion / season pass, one big push update at the end of NFP (plus all the earlier updates) and now amazingly another season pass etc etc etc…

… despite all of that

… the game is now left with “bugs”, balance issues, other frictions and (in my opinion) still feels like it has some gaps in terms of gameplay content.

Seriously. What a bust.

I hope Firaxis do address some of the more material bugs etc. with Civ VI. But I really don’t think they will. Instead, I think Firaxis had a window to make the best Civ they could, it looks like they did all they could within that window, but that window is now closed except for this bit of marketing content.

It’s not like they don’t read the forums. If they were going to do something, they would say something or just do it. The silence is pretty clear - Leader Pass is just Leaders. That’s it.

It really doesn’t look like they will.

I mean, +1 for Firaxis addressing the points you raise. I’d add the AI Science bug too. But, yeah, don’t think it’ll happen.

It’s really quite frustrating.

Civ VI was such a great game right from the start and has then received massive amounts of support well past its original planned end point …

… and yet, with the benefit of Civ V (which in some ways was a beta for Civ VI), the game being released on multiple devices, pretty decent support from modders and streamers etc, plus two expansions, a mini-expansion / season pass, one big push update at the end of NFP (plus all the earlier updates) and now amazingly another season pass etc etc etc…

… despite all of that

… the game is now left with “bugs”, balance issues, other frictions and (in my opinion) still feels like it has some gaps in terms of gameplay content.

Seriously. What a bust.

I hope Firaxis do address some of the more material bugs etc. with Civ VI. But I really don’t think they will. Instead, I think Firaxis had a window to make the best Civ they could, it looks like they did all they could within that window, but that window is now closed except for this bit of marketing content.

It’s not like they don’t read the forums. If they were going to do something, they would say something or just do it. The silence is pretty clear - Leader Pass is just Leaders. That’s it.
To be fair, in my 6 years of playing, the "luxury bug" is the only game-breaking bug I have encountered. What makes it so infuriating though, is that it sounds like it would take less than 4 lines of code to fix it.

To be fair, in my 6 years of playing, the "luxury bug" is the only game-breaking bug I have encountered. What makes it so infuriating though, is that it sounds like it would take less than 4 lines of code to fix it.
Do you play intermittently? There was a period (a while ago now) when there was literally a gamebreaking bug and you couldn't finish the game. Whether things like the science bug are considered gamebreaking is potentially subjective, but if you count the AI not building luxury resources in one optional game mode, then that definitely counts (I'd also be pretty sure to include the science bug as well).

I can't understand why they don't fix issues like the bug in the monopolies game mode. That isn't something like AI. AI is subjective. That bug and several others are not subjective.
From my understanding, it's because we never got a Patch to begin with.

What the game updates was surface level changes, something like Eurekas text is not more than a surface level XML change.

(except the Science bug, they just didn't seem to bother with that).

Something like AI is a deeper level DLL adjustment, and as far as I know, the DLL hasn't changed with the LP release.

I hope it does get fixed before LP wraps up, I'll be really disappointed otherwise.

But regarding "why hasnt been fixed before"

It's because NFP really messed things up by havign monthly game updates.

Consider how much rpessure the QA would be under to make sure everything works, and is balanced, etc, only for you to find that it's due to release, a bug gets by, and next month you suddenly have tacked on more new features and things to test, while realising new things got broken, and before you can get around to fixing them, you have to release the version and the cycle begins.

They clearly weren't budgeting for few months down the line patch which is unfortunate, but I also don't think they anticipated how broken things would be.

AI definately improves luxuries, just conquered a city with three chocolate plantations.

But I have heard it doesnt do it in Monopolies mode.
It can even rarely happen in Monopoly mode games, but only if cities change ownership after a ressource has been already improved...if the new owner already has improved the same ressource before in his own cities, the AIs might end up with more than one source.

I'll say it again - if you work on a zombie mode that no-one wants, you can make a cool video of people going "Braaaains". If you fix things that are broken (as everyone wants), you can't. You can't even make a trailer saying, "Look, we fixed broken stuff!" without drawing attention to the fact that it was broken to begin with.

I'll say it again - if you work on a zombie mode that no-one wants, you can make a cool video of people going "Braaaains". If you fix things that are broken (as everyone wants), you can't. You can't even make a trailer saying, "Look, we fixed broken stuff!" without drawing attention to the fact that it was broken to begin with.
Your general point of managers budgetting for visible flare that wins them KPI & promotion, instead of substantial but unseen work with real benefits, definitely has a kernel of truth.

But the idea for a zombie mode in particular may have originated from Sid Meier. Like several not-necessarily-popular-with-Civ-fans decisions, t's something he wanted to do rather than a publicity stunt.

Do you play intermittently? There was a period (a while ago now) when there was literally a gamebreaking bug and you couldn't finish the game. Whether things like the science bug are considered gamebreaking is potentially subjective, but if you count the AI not building luxury resources in one optional game mode, then that definitely counts (I'd also be pretty sure to include the science bug as well).

If you play against the AI the science bug is gamebreaking because the AI often ends up bankrupt and disbanding it’s military

That is smooth brain MBA management at work.

In the real world with non scumbag Office Space Caricature leadership people know that acknowledging bugs and fixing them builds confidence in your brand

The state Civ6 was left in I am applying the Bethesda Protocol. You only buy their games if there is a solid modding community, because they end up being the QA, balance, and lets face it quality DLC team

Yes, they really need to fix the AI not improving luxuries bug. Sadly, it's probably budgetary restraints from 2K games that won't allow them.

AI definately improves luxuries, just conquered a city with three chocolate plantations.

But I have heard it doesnt do it in Monopolies mode.
I always play with monopolies mode on, and in some game it did happen that the AI barely improve luxuries, but then again they settle like idiots most of the time. Last game they started to improving luxuries from renaissance era onwards. So my conclusion is that they do improve luxuries almost every game, even if later than me, but then again I make that a top priority on my every game!

Top Bottom