My impressions after spending 3 days in the game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Eyeoftiger, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Eyeoftiger

Eyeoftiger Warlord

I can't quite put my finger on this game. When Civ IV came out, it was so different (for the better) from Civ III that it blew me away. The annoying things about Civ III were finally gone, and the game play didn't stagnate and felt fresh.

Civ V, though, man, I just don't know how to express this. The game seems to be almost "boring." I'll probably get flamed for this, but this is the opinion of a hardcore Civ fan. I feel that the game just bogs down too much with tedium or its so fanatically insane with the AI's that you don't know which way to look.

The happiness system doesn't seem intuitive to me anymore. In the past, I knew exactly what I needed to do in order to make my cities happy. Now, it's a mixture of things, and maybe this is my fault for not understanding it completely. Civ III, you knew your marketplace would provide extra :). In Civ IV, you had other buildings that increased your :) by what resources you had, which I thought was a great addition. I'm not sure why this has been devalued.

Food and gold seem to be in abundance to most nations regardless of what you have and where you are; production is an issue though. Too often there is just little you can do because your cities are basically over-glorified farms.

I miss religions and their absence just screams that people are more worried about offending people than offering a true picture of actual human civilization.

I'm still playing this game, but once I get to the industrail age, it just feels like I've been doing my "job" as opposed to playing a game for several hours. It just doesn't seem "fun" so far. I'm by no means giving up; as I said, I can't quite put my finger on why I feel this way; Civ IV was just relaxing and fun to play and I lost so many hours playing the game. With Civ V, I find myself trying not to nod off from boredom.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Flame away. ;)

2. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

The game does take a while to get some good production going, that's for sure. Once you have a good size pop things feel normal. I was kinda bummed, but now I'm rolling through buildsings and wonders etc, and every other turn it seems a city is finishing production. I also like to try to really specialize my cities too. So some cities suck for production, but they are big gold cities. I only build a couple culture buildings early, then focus on markets etc to boost gold.

Also happiness can be tricky to get a handle on. I went from -15 (lots of cities through conquest), and then I got a few CS and made a bunch of trades/peace treaties and was back on top. When playing without a lot of cities you have to control your pop in cities, as not to go over your limit. So switch over to no growth, and get some gold/more hammers. It's all a balancing act really.

3. mattavich

mattavich Civ5 Fanatic

civ 5, best in the series so far

4. dannythefool

dannythefool King

But both concepts are still there!? The only significant change is that it's empire-wide now... so you can build your happiness buildings in any city.

5. civhawaii

civhawaii Chieftain

Agree with OP

6. Davor

Davor Prince

Oh that explains everything. :rolleyes:

7. Black PrinceIV

Black PrinceIV Chieftain

I've been playing CIV since 3 and have loved them all. I played the demo of IV and I thought it was kinda meh. I bought it anyways and started 2 games but finished neither of them. I had the same complaints as you but now that I'm in my 3rd game as Greece I'm actually having fun. I too was suffering from low production but now that I got a lot farther in I can pump stuff out in 8 turns or less. Just give yourself some time to get used to it.

8. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

There is definitely something 'not quite right' about Civ 5, but the new additions are fun (especially ranged combat).

9. shinkicker

shinkicker Warlord

One of the things V lost that 4 had was a quick synopsis of each city's unhappiness, including the reasons. It even told you how many :mad: came from overcrowding, war weariness, etc. and where your :) came from.

I haven't seen that little graphic in 5 yet, and I agree with EOT, I miss it. Once my latest Civ got to a large size I felt lost knowing how close I was to overpopulating and what improvements to prioritize next. That should be an informational function of the game and it's just not there in easy format.

10. Davor

Davor Prince

I really enjoy the ranged combat. I also like how you can kill in ranged combat as well.

Even though I am on the demo, if you mouse over the happiness at the top, it should break it down for you, why people are happy or unhappy.

11. Uranus Reamerz

Uranus Reamerz Chieftain

To me I feel like I am just "playing a game" rather than living history. I'm still waiting for the "addiction" to take over. So far I've been able to goto bed on time. I kinda like the hex/military tactical part of the game; the no stacks takes the zerg element out, which pleases me.

12. faizan

faizan Chieftain

On the top left there is a menu where u can quickly access happiness vs. unhappiness and what % is causing what.

Civ V is perfectly fine, its just people are clueless of where things are and how to exactly play the game. It has changed a lot, more so than people believe! even for me. I tried to do a chariot rush and failed epically!

The way you do battles, the way you earn gold, the way you build cities etc. its all changed. Stop comparing it to CIV IV and stop looking to CIV IV strategy for CIV V strategy. Its not the same, it isn't going to work.

I have played CIV since 3 as well, and I can tell you this is far more innovative than the transition from 3 to 4.

I mean the whole damn battle system has changed! in 3 and 4 you could stack units and beat any opponent, not in 5. In 4 I didn't give a damn if a city was unhappy, but in 5 I do because it has a significant affect on your nation's growth.

So I think that if people put in the time to play a few games and familiarize themselves with what works and doesn't work...most of these complaints will just go away.

13. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

mouse-over on the :) (or on the :mad:), all the info is there

14. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

ugh the happiness is really stupid in this game, instead of it being about controlling various issues in your empire and citys in Civ 4, in Civ 5 it is there just to control your growth.

Also this game has no scenarios *no i don't mean just maps, i mean actual scenarios like from the Civ 4 expansions* , the world builder still isn't out, and there is just so little to do in this game. :(

15. Beardy Dan

Beardy Dan Warlord

This is different to Civ 4 how?

16. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

It's simple learn to play. Civ 5 will teach you how to balance your economy, diplomacy and warfare instead of letting you go all out in one of them. A lot of bad players will choke when expected to multitask like this.

The game has issues, teething issues, and it's going to be difficult to get the AI absolutely perfect. Then again, Civ 4's AI was not even close to that.

I guarantee you most of the whining comes from praetorian rush "tactics" players, who probably did the same with Jaggy Warriors in #3. This one requires a bit more thought, but it will go down as the greatest civ game ever, just like the 4 before it.

17. GreyIago

GreyIago Chieftain

If you are relying on scenarios to play the game...maybe you shouldn't have gotten it so soon.

You know what my favorite scenario is? "Set up Game". :rolleyes:

18. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

In Civ 5, if your at 0 empire happiness, you can't go building more citys.

In Civ 4, if you have no bonus happiness in your capital, there is nothing wrong with building more citys as long as you can afford the maintenance.

19. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

I'm not relying on them, i would like to play something other then random placement.

20. smitty5ca

smitty5ca Chieftain

I couldn't agree more with you eyeoftiger, the game really does seem boring right now. It's like, how you said, doing my job. I've played it for about 20 hours now, and I get it, but just to damn boring at the moment. I only hope any expansion packs will drastically make this more fun.