1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little contribution

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by ChaosSlayer, Nov 24, 2014.

1. ChaosSlayer

ChaosSlayer Chieftain

Greetings!

Little introduction first.
    I have always noted how Civ lack later era heavy cavalry units. Fraxis have made their Cuirassier to use a musket, and all other unit creators have followed this trend as if heavy melee cavalry stopped existing past feudal era.
    This is of course incorrect. Heavy cavalry kept playing valuable role in combat as late as late 19th century and primary used swords/sabers for combat since muskets and rifles were one shot deal and once they were fired, cavalry would typically charge into a melee fight. And while during 17-19 century cuirasses could no longer protect from bullets, they were still quite useful during the melee skirmishes. It was only with invention of breech-loaded rifles when cavalry could reliably use and reload guns while on horseback. Even then, cavalry melee skirmishes lasted as late as WW1.

Therefore I decided to present to you these 3 units that represent heavy cavalry for past feudal eras: Melee Cuirassier (early Renaissance), Uhlan (Napoleonic era) and Chevalier Guard (Early/Mid Industrial era).

While at it I would like to thank Clanky4 and Saibotlieh for teaching me how to work with nifscope.
    The first unit was created by Saibotlieh for me some time ago, and the other 2 were constructed by me using textures created by Bernie14.

All of these units support team colors and should generic enough for any European nation. I hope they will be useful to someone ;)

Animations:
    Cuirassier - uses Conquistador animations
    Uhlan (Lancer) - uses Companion Cavalry animations
    Chevalier Guard - uses Companion Cavalry animations
    Spoiler :

Download
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23449

-------------------------------
    UPDATE:
    1 - Corrected Chevalier Guard from my previous upload - the saber was unrealistically long so I made it shorter and added metallic shine.

2 - American Union Cavalry with Saber

Both units use Companion Cavalry animations
    Spoiler :

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23555

-----------------------------------------
    A set of alternative Musketeers:

1. Musketeer - on a horse with a musket (uses Russian Cossack animations)
    2. Musketeer - on a horse with a sword (uses Conquistador animations)
    3. Musketeer - who shoots a musket at range and fights with a sword in melee (based on Arquebusier model originally made by Gagonite - new .kfm file included)
    Spoiler :

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23556

----------------------------------------------

ADDED 10/23/2016

2 Ancient Warlords (Great Generals) for Slavic and Europe
    civs:

European Warlords come in 3 versions:
    -with red cape and red shield
    -with red shield and team colored cape
    -with red cape and nation symbol shield

All models use Ancient Warlord animation

NOTE: I only applied applied existing texture for Warlord skeleton, the texture were originally created by Bakuel and Ambrox62
    Download :
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ancient-warlords-great-generals.25390/
    Spoiler :

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

These are really fantastic! Really great to see some late cavalry units like these.

What should unit lines look like if new unit-classes were introduced?

Would it be Knight--Cuirassier--Cavalry still?

3. ChaosSlayer

ChaosSlayer Chieftain

Well in my mod I have 2 types of mounted units:
    Heavy cavalry (such those above), called Mounted
    and
    Light Cavalry (which includes various horseback units that use range weapons), called Scirmish.

In my mod the units progress the following way:

Horsemen > Knight > Cuirassier (with sword) > Uhlan > Chevalier Guard > Early Tank (WW1)

Horse Archer > Horse Crossbow > Pistolier > Hussar > Dragoon > Cavalry (WW1)

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

That's really cool. I've been meaning to look over the Cavalry in my own mod and redo the lines and units, I will definitely look at what you shared and base something on that(and of coarse I will credit you Chaosslayer :) )

5. ChaosSlayer

ChaosSlayer Chieftain

Updated (see above)

6. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 A Gentlecolt and a Bard

The uniform you gave the Uhlan are actually French Cuirassiers. These are what Uhlans really looked like:

7. ChaosSlayer

ChaosSlayer Chieftain

Yeah the name is misleading, I know. It is a cuirassier. All of them are cuirassiers just from different periods, so I named it Uhlan for distinction sake (Uhlans were actually light cavalry.) Perhaps it would be more reasonable to call it Lancer instead.
    But anyway, its just a model - you can name it anything you like ;)

8. ChaosSlayer

ChaosSlayer Chieftain

2 Ancient Warlords (Great Generals) for Slavic and Europe added above.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  9. openyourmind

openyourmind Chieftain

Wonderful work! Thank you very much