1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: Civilization is Magic

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by clanky4, Dec 14, 2014.

1. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

Update:
    Added Sea Ponies as a playable civilization. Complete with a new unit artstyle, Unique Unit, and Unique Building. Also fixes a few XML files from the initial release.

Mods are asleep post pony mods

The Mod:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23476

MLP: Civilization is Magic makes several numerous art, sound, and XML changes while leaving the basic rules in place. For the time being the mod is just an elaborate paint job of BTS.

the mod features the following:
    • 10 civilizations inspired by the show
    • 'New' unique units and buildings for each civ (they need to be balanced)
    • Completely new pony unit art
    • Replaced tech buttons for most of the tech tree with different quotes
    • Replaced civic buttons
    • Replaced a good deal of applicable text with the term "pony"

I'm still looking to develop this mod somewhat. If you have any suggestions, ideas, or comments I would be appreciative and more than happy to hear them. Right now the civs, their UU, and their UBs and unbalanced or just plain useless. Once the existing civs are better balanced out I'd like to add a few more. My end goal 18 civs.

2. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

Screenshots:

3. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

HOLY WOW THAT'S A SHIPLOAD OF AWESOME :D
    You sir, have made my day! There was an old MLP mod by Farsight, but it didn't include models and didn't look this awesome and DOWNLOADING :D

4. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it :D

5. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

Perhaps you might want to work on the leaderhead models a bit more. As of now, they're rather jerky and very stiff. It's still impressive that you got all these models, but their animations are a bit weird.

6. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

Indeed, I'm not the most skilled at animation, and it really shows in the leaderheads. When I was making their kfs initially I was just trying to get in about 6 or 8 "poses" they would transfer between. Poses would have ~50 frames in between each other to give the model time to move. Unfortunately what wound up happening is that either the model went all slow motion to the next pose or it moved to it too quickly. I was just worried about them looking like statues so I tried to make the poses somewhat distinct of each other. Which just ended up making them spaz out. Though I do like their greetings. The idle kfs and Celestia's refusal kf need some work.

One of these days I'll have to redo their kfs with far more subtle movement.

7. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

I went ahead and redid celestia's kf. They are a bit more subtle in transitions and just in general more fluid. Please let me know what you think. If they are any better or if I went entirely in the wrong direction. :lol:

Attached Files:

8. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

9. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Now that looks like it took a lot of work.

10. Harald B

Harald B Chieftain

Wow, this is some impressive looking stuff. Is it ok if I reuse those units in my own Civ5 mods?
    I haven't played CivIV recently enough to be able to comment on balance issues, but let me know if you'd like to use anything from my Civ5 ponification mod. I've got originals lying around for most of the art in it.

11. shawnic16

shawnic16 Chieftain

I'm getting errors when I try to run the game after loading the mod.

Failed Loading XML file XML\Art/CIV4ArtDefines_unit.xml.
    [.\FXml.cpp:133] Error parsing XML File
    File: XML\Art/CIV4ArtDefines_unit.xml
    Reason: Element content is invalid according to the DTD/Schema.

And then about 100 more similar errors after that.
    Any ideas?

12. Jorlem

Jorlem Chieftain

So, umm. Equestria is misspelled as Equestia in the leader select screen and the Civilopedia. Just thought I should mention that.

Also, something is wrong with the compression on the music soundtrack files, or at least the MelodicPony ones. When the game plays them, they come out staticy. They are currently encoded at 48000 Hz. You need to save them at 44100 Hz for the game to play them correctly. I suggest using Audacity for this.

13. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

Ugh, figures that I would discover this mod right when my PC is unusable. I'll make sure to download it once I fixed it or got a new one.

14. LordDarkanine

LordDarkanine Chieftain

Not so much of a brony (anymore) but man this looks like it had a lot of effort put into it. Nice!

15. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

I... just... PONY UNITS?

Have a Rainbow Dash, my good sir/ma'am! :goodjob:

Mind if I used them for my Equestria civ?

16. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Hey Farsight welcome back to the board my friend. Clanky has been busy as you can see.

17. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

My life is now complete :lol:

You are by all means free to use whatever could be of use. Just be sure to credit the original creator, I got a giant credits list around here somewhere.

Is your BTS updated to 3.19? I'm not sure what else could be causing that error.

Well that's embarrassing. Thank you for pointing that out. I haven't noted any difference in between how the sound plays from the media player to in game. Probably because my PC is kind of old.

edit:
    I looked through the diplomacy files and only luna and cadance's diplomacy music were 48000 Hz. I saved them through audacity as 44100 Hz. Hopefully that fixes the issue. Were there any other sound files which sounded weird?

By all means. Feel free to use anything that could be of use.

18. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

Don't worry I am working on an actual update for the mod. But in the mean time Rhye's and Fall of Civilization Equestria! Available in two flavors:
    Classic
    Dawn of Civilization

19. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Chieftain

Ahah, I remember when I asked you (naively) if you could work on some pony units for that mod.

You should makes some retextures for the buildings, though. Make them look more like ponyville cottages.

Also, the archers look odd, standing on only their back legs. Maybe have them be unicorns that levitate the bows?

20. clanky4

clanky4 Chieftain

The houses look like this right?

I can give it a go I'm not all that great at skinning though. How does one even change the the Building artstyles for cities. I have never even tried to do so.

As for the archers they were initially going to do something similar to that, which is why all of the basic archer units are unicorns. I could add the great prophet glow effect that the grenadier currently has to the archer. Might not work so great for the longbowman though.