My love of Mehmed revisited

I sometimes beeline liberalism to grab gunpowder if my tech rate is good (on noble of course :)) then build enough jannissaries to rule the world :)

seriously if I wasnt a huge fan of mehmed I would probably whine about how overpowered the jannissaries were :)

I sometimes beeline liberalism to grab gunpowder if my tech rate is good (on noble of course :)) then build enough jannissaries to rule the world :)
Try going for Steel from Lib, then self-teching through Nationalism, and build cannons while you draft Jann's. Thats usually the signal for Game Over when I play the Ottomans, either one.

Try going for Steel from Lib, then self-teching through Nationalism, and build cannons while you draft Jann's. Thats usually the signal for Game Over when I play the Ottomans, either one.

If you already have a lead, that works great. Otherwise, it's usually better to self-tech gunpowder, then use Lib to grab nationalism to draft like crazy. Then you only need a slight lead (ie. the AI you're killing to not have gunpowder) to walk over people. A few catapults and trebuchets beforehand and it's pretty easy. Only a problem against cities with castles on a hill, where it take a while to widdle away the defenses.

If you already have a lead, that works great.
Works just fine if your behind too. Of course, it takes work, you need to be generating GScientists to bulb the Lib path as you tech the Chemistry path, but Gunpowder is on the way. The AIs rarely take a big interest in the Lib line unless they get a hold of Philo or Paper. Control those and Steel from Lib is a cinch, even if your in dead last. I know it works very well on Emperor, and I am pretty sure I can get there on Immortal more often than not.

hmmm nice... cannon with jannissaries...

But I dont go nationhood and draft, I never tried drafting, maybe once or twice, instead I build military academy along with heroic epic, along with representation and I can pump out jannissaries in 1 or 2 turns... but I am not sure it is as efficient as drafting from a city with globe theater...

Drafting is very powerful with janissaries. It takes too long to build them normally and to also build the seige to support them. To get an army quickly and exploit their window of opportunity I draft a janissary and whip the trebuchet / cannon to support them once every 10 turns from most cities. That requires about 3 pop and so you need enough food to grow a pop every 3 turns and a few farms will do that.

The technique I use with Ottomans is to build 2 or 3 small cities specifically for drafting and whipping, they only need several farms and a granary and barracks and never really need to grow very big. A forge helps with both whipping and happiness. If you found the whipping / drafting cities when Civil Service allows chain irrigation they don't need to use prime land or be on a river.

I dont war often, if an AI dows me or drives me insane so I wage war to wipe them out... but I need to experience this drafting thing :D

The Jan window can also be maximized by pre-building a lot of siege. Trebs upgrade to cannons pretty cheaply, OR you can just spam catapults and use those for bombardment/minor collateral (it doesn't take much to give your jans an edge).

Drafting can definitely amass forces more rapidly as well.

Happiness is a Globe Theater city with 3+ high food tiles and bio farms. (Drafting down from the health cap every 1 or 2 turns? Priceless!)

Try chopping the granary.

If you grow then whip (such as at size 1), you should grow halfway to size n+2, so that costs 2*(10+n)+10+n=3*(10+n).
If you chop and meet the additional hammers by halfway to size n+1, that costs 10+n food.
Step by step:
Phase 1 (10+n food)
Whipping: 10+n
Chopping: 10+n granary built
Phase 2 (20+2n food)
Whipping: Size n+1, 0 food
Chopping: Size n+1, 10+(n+1) food
Phase 3 (30+3n food)
Whipping: Size n, 10+n food
Chopping: Size n+2, 10+(n+2) food

End result, that chop (+ 10 extra hammers) ends up making you size 3 (n+2) when the whipped city is size 1. Marvel at the power of expansive granaries.

Thank you very much, that is very useful. And bless you for the last line, otherwise I'd go "Huh?" as well :goodjob:

Top Bottom