My Marathon/Monarch Rome game

Update

The empire conquered all Britain (not Dublin and Ireland yet) and started building caravels and exploring the oceans and the new world.

The world has been recognized to be round (with a very useful +1 movement bonus for all roman ships yay) and, as soon as the romans met the Aztec Triple Alliance, a group of adventurers took two out of four cities and vassalized them, creating the “Province of Mexico”. The plan is to keep them stable until the Mexico spawn date and then annex them when the correct moment will come.

The adventurers now are conquering the lower Mexico and Panama areas.
QUESTION: are the area of Panama and lower Mexico (where the dye is) affected by the future Mexico flip?

The empire had a -450 gold per turn loss until the completion of San Marco Basilica in Venetia, now -280. I will work on reducing that by micromanaging and pushing for merchants and statesman whenever possible, while building forums, banks, post offices and so on.

The Saint Peter Basilica and Apostolic Palace elections would be also a good benefit for the money income.

Any tips on the Apostolic Palace elections? The Roman Empire is by far the most developed, cultured, widespead and military advanced civilization in the world, as China collapsed again due to the mongols.
Poland is catholic, Russia is orthodox, Mali and Moors are islamic. All the holy shrines are within the empire borders (Rome for catholicism, Athens for orthodoxy, Hierusalem for Hebraism and Carthago for Islamism).

QUESTION
Any tips for the expansion in the new world? Should I focus on mexico and caribbeans or control the nothern south America?

Very brilliant the “historical” and “contested” spots in the northern America the Roman Empire. I will settle soon there 3).

1. Aztecs are going to collapse. I don't think anything you do can prevent that.
2. You could put cities on focus commerce.
3. In terms of expansion, since you can't get the Trading Company resource you may not be able to make that much profit from your colonies, even with a colonialism+centralism setup. Nonetheless, it may be worthwhile to just take your time - often colonies in the new world are terribly placed due to competition (eg, the Tuitan-New Orleans region is often filled with terrible cities settled by Aztecs, Spain, France and England) - so you can afford to hop into worldbuillder and check out the fat crosses for the best placements.

Thank you for the very useful tips!
Most probably the best idea is to use the focus commerce function, but I would like the cities to also produce buildings that indeed allow to produce commerce (forum, bank, trade routes...).

The city placement in the region is not too bad to be honest. I only had to raze one city that was on a stone resource on the way to Panama. I think that I will try to colonize the Caribbean Islands, Panama and the northern part of south america.

When the Aztecs will collapse I will try to free their cities and resurrect them (if possible), otherwise allow independents until the Mexico spawn, as a revolt in a region so far from the Roman Empire would be difficult to handle, due to the lack of generals.

Another fun point is that the four legions that spawn with Roma are now all Generals, with the highest experienced being Scipio Africanus, who recently reached 190 experience points. The beast has +75% flat, +85% against cities, double movement, healing while moved (in any territory), Medic 1, March and soon the bonus towards firepower units.

Hi! I would like to know, how did you get second UHV check. Did you found just one town for each province? Or did you culturally control all areas?

It shows in the little fist bottom right, out of my head I think it is. 4 in greece/anatolia, 2 Egypt, 2 spain, 3 gaul, 1 england, 2 africa. the egypt core is smaller so not everything what is modern egypt counts.

It is doable if you knock out Carthage early on as Greece, the sooner the better. Be sure to have 4 or more cities in ye core to keep stability up cause you likely over-expanded till unless you reach the middle ages. I generally give London away to Vikings when they show up eventually ;)

Wow, it seems like I need to control certain number of cities in each area? I suppose, I've destroyed some of them to build new in more comfortable position. :wallbash:
Anyway, thank you very much for the answers. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You’re more than welcome.

The ideal is to plan carefully from the beginning when to found cities and where. Also, sometimes it could be needed to move some AI cities one tile N/W/S/E, as they sometimes found on resources or in weird positions.
But some prefer not to do it.

For example I prefer to like no found Lutetia when it appears and prevent it by building left or south of city in a contested area (not core) for example. Also you can raze cities but be aware when you out of the Shaky time (not sure how many turns that is) You get a negative in expansion for it. So it adds up if you wrecked a lot to let's say a -20 or more in no time. I tend to focus quickly on Gaul cause of the horse resource.

Capture Carthago in a few turns helps a lot with your legion you can sometimes even win right from the boat against archers for a 64%. Only their elephants are tricky... their spearman is a joke imv.
Capture Athens quick also helps out a lot (harder cause of hoplites).

Trick is to expand quickly and make sure that your core cities Rome, Mediolanum and the other 2-3 get big fast.

I usually don't run republic, cause with Monarchy you can make cities a little happier. so at start I switch to monarchy/deification. Faster wonder building, as the Cothon is a must in Rome, add with that maybe the collossus there and you have a lot of coins and hammers on sea.

I recently continued playing my game (while waiting for the new update and map to be released :) ).

Year is almost 1500.

I was finally able to spawn Saint Peter and found the Saint Peter Basilica in Rome, hence enabling the congress from the Apostolic Palace. As the only (alive) civs that are Christian are the Empire and Polan, I am now working on expanding the influence of catholicism to other civs, hence trying to achieve the URV for Catholicism.

The Iran spawn will happen soon and the armies are ready to fight back and try to keep Persia and the Turkenstan. Mexico is still stable and alive, being a vassal of the Roman Empire. I am trying to push the South America expansion and to control Panama and most of the middle America.

The firearms will be introduced in around 70 turns. Technology is impressively slowed down from the economic situation of the Empire (-150 to -200 gold per turn). On the next login I will try to review all cities and micromanage them in order to optimize between production, gold and growth.

The next great person will be in around 17 turns. I am hoping for a Great Statesman, in order to enable another Administrative Center in Memphis, hence reducing the cost for many cities in Egypt, Ethiopia and the Arabic Peninsula, now completely under control of the Empire. The Suez canal is now fully controlled and secure. I will soon script-move some cities in east Turkey in order to achieve naval connection to the Caspian sea and the Turkestan (I am not sure whether this possibility should be allowed).

Neapolis will soon start to build the great Theatre, I will keep the National Monument, The National Bank and the Ironworks for Rome (I think that these are the best, as Rome will already have almost every available World Wonder plus Louvre and other culture-boosting buildings).

I am not sure what to focus on for the next steps. I was thinking to finally wipe Morocco (now they only have Agadir) and expand no North-West Africa in order to control more gold, gems and ivory, but this would first require a new administrative centre in Carthago (after Memphis), in order to be sustainable...
Another important point would be that of sending catholic missionaries to the far east in order to try to convert them to catholicism for the URV.

Any suggestions?

Going back to my old thread more than one year afterwards. I feel so nostalgic!

I cannot wait to re-do everything in a new game on 1.17!
Leo please make this happen. I am craving for more DOC! A big thank you from Italy!

PS: I promise I will make another thread, this time with screenshots!

Top Bottom