1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] My mod is enabled, but nothing changes ingame.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by A Hungry Bagel, Feb 6, 2020.

1. A Hungry Bagel

A Hungry Bagel Chieftain

I made a mod following Kael's PDF guide as best as I could, but when I activate my mod, nothing is altered. I have the correct directory set, I've built the mod, set all the edited files update the database on activation, but nothing seems to work. I figured since I have the extra city territory claim range set to "8" just like The Shoshone's, the mod would give me extra territory when I found a city, but when I use my settler it gives me the normal amount. The extra trade routes, and everything else also seems to not be active too. In the images I show, I highlight the most notable changes I could fit in one screenshot. There are more things altered in each file, which is why I would like to ask if anyone would be willing to take a look at my mod files that I'm providing in this 7zip archive, and let me know what I'm missing or doing wrong.

Some other things to note:
    1. I've been using templates from a YouTuber known as Keniisu, the files are in his description:
    2. This is my first attempt at any Civ 5 mod, although I've tried 4 similar one's after this and making very minor changes, again nothing changes.
    3. I own all DLC for Civilization V.
    4. The XML files for DiplomacyResponses, Units, and Leader haven't been altered, therefore I didn't make them update the database. DiplomacyResponses seems to be empty, I didn't touch Units, and I saw no changes with Leader XML.
    5. The description of the mod contains everything that I want to have modified, it's my end goal for this mod.

Mod Description:

Unique Ability "Ireland's Might":
    Claim additional territory when you settle a City.
    Choose an extra Religious Belief.
    Twice the amount of trade routes are available to you.
    Doubles the amount of Religious Pressure from your Trade Routes, land trade routes have 50% more range.
    Forts provide +1 Faith, +2 Faith if they are within your borders.
    Gain 6 Global Happiness for each City you Liberate, Liberated Cities will now follow your religion.

Unique Building "Stele"
    Replaces the Monument, which adds +2 Faith on top of the usual +2 Culture. No maintenance cost.

Unique Unit "fuil agus tine":
    Replaces the Warrior.
    +66% Combat Strength to Units and Cities when injured.
    May be Produced, but they are only purchasable with faith.
    Costs 66 faith.

Civilization's ingame Color Scheme switched to Black and Neon Green.
    built mod set actions.png traits.png fort.png

2. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

What you provided is not a mod. It is a modbuddy project for creating a mod.

Looking into the code within your files, so far in every one I have looked at you are attempting to re-add an item the game already has. Then game's database will never allow this. So this code snippet
    Code:
    <GameData>
      <Civilizations>
        <Row>
          <Type>CIVILIZATION_CELTS</Type>
    Causes a fatal error to the file, and causes the game to reject the entire contents of the file where this occurs. "CIVILIZATION_CELTS" is already part of the game: you cannot add a new row to table <Civilizations> with a designation of <Type>CIVILIZATION_CELTS</Type>.

The same applies to your building : there is already a BUILDING_STELE
    • UNIT_CELT_PICTISH_WARRIOR also already is part of the game.
    • IMPROVEMENT_FORT is already part of the game.
    • TRAIT_FAITH_FROM_NATURE is already part of the game.
    • LEADER_BOUDICCA is already part of the game.
    Each of these cause the game to reject the file where it occurs, resulting in a mod that does nothing because none of the code survives the process of being implemented into the game's Database.

In order to alter an element that already exists as part of the game you need to use an <Update> syntax or a <Replace> syntax instead of a <Row> syntax.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  3. A Hungry Bagel

A Hungry Bagel Chieftain

Should I provide the actual mod file instead? I meant to upload the modbuddy project, as long as others are able to see the files I've been changing.

4. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

See: whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial

Generally we prefer the mod the game is actually attempting to use from within the game's MODS folder.

Also see whoward69's enable error logging tutorial Having logging enabled will create error messages in Database.log when a problem loading your XML or SQL code is encountered, and once you understand how to read the messages therein you can look to fix the actual problems with your mod's code rather than spitball guessing as to what the trouble might be.

One final note: ModBuddy does not create errors as a general rule for code syntax or other errors within the text of an lua, SQL, or XML file.

5. A Hungry Bagel

A Hungry Bagel Chieftain

Thank you very much LeeS for your assistance, I will look at the tutorials you posted and I really do appreciate all the info I've been given.

Edit: I've made some changes and uploaded the mod file to this post. I'm reading up on your thread that covers newbie Civ 5 mistakes, and to be honest trying to understand it all is hurting my brain lol. For now I need some time away from a bright screen for sure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020