My most profitable axerush ever.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Puck Nutty, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty Prince

When I saw this city so close by I just couldn't resist. Luckily Asoka is Organized so the distance didn't hurt me so much, and I was able to plant 2 more cities while keeping my research pretty high.

It didn't come with the cottages (I built those), but yeah, it's paying for half of my empire right now. Soon it will pay for my conquest of the evil Mongols.

Anyone else have a ridiculously tempting target like this dangled in front of you?

Edit: Oh, I should mention that this is now a holy city with a shrine. Wall Street here I come.

2. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

Hmm... Triple gold is likely to cover any distance. That looks like pretty sweet bureaucracy capital.

3. kochman

kochman Deity

It is definitely good you took that out of Darius' hands! His financial/organized with that would have made short work of the tech tree...

4. Yared

Yared That Guy

I once quecha-rushed Boudica :D It gave me the nice Hindu holy city and took out a powerful (military-wise) and very aggressive leader.

5. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

no kidding. In human hands, that would be an absolutely broken darius start...look at the horsies to the N. Could take (the land) and run 30 cities from such a start with Darius.

6. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

And the gold mines are all on plains hills, not desert! What are the chances of this, i rarely see gold on other hills apart from desert. Not to mention most of the adjacent tiles are desert!

7. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

That city's a beaut man, nice goin'. I like the look of Blue Marble pretty well, but it's a little too bland for my taste. :p

Back on topic, wouldn't such a city be better for science (not wealth)? If you really go nuts with that shrine I'm sure it'll work out, it just looks like a nice Oxford city to me. :)

8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Settler

Shrines generate gold, not commerce. Gold from shrines can't be turned into research.

9. TheWilltoAct

You are correct, but what I was trying to say is that a shrine might push you in the Wall Street direction, but with a high slider all that commerce from gold mines + towns will go primarily towards beakers :)science:).

10. Tamed

Tamed Warlord

That city isn't really that far away, not sure why you think it'd kill your research.

11. TheWilltoAct

The thought of holding a distant city in the early game is always scary to me, Tamed; your economy is usually so delicate in the early game.
    The ORG trait doesn't have anything to do with it though, as it only applies to civic costs. I also think he's built some cities between the 2 capitals, which could make the distance in the screenshot seem deceiving.

12. bakshi

bakshi Prince

I find that taking a lot of cities early is worth the couple of turns with a low slider. More cities usually = more beakers. Just because you don't have the slider at 100% doesn't mean your not earning the same or even more beakers.

13. kochman

kochman Deity

Shrine+Forbidden Palace+Wall Street+Corporation (+settled GMs) = 100% science research in the entire empire, because you are funding all maintenance costs from this one city.

14. TheWilltoAct

Well sure, if that's his strategy. I don't see where the Forbidden Palace fits in, this city is near his capital as mentioned.

15. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

On normal map scripts, you don't get desert/tundra in your capital's BFC (unless you move your settler).

16. oranje willem

oranje willem Prince

Still it makes a fine oxford city, maybe you can build both oxford and wall street in it.

17. kochman

kochman Deity

Do not do this.
    Oxford should be in your best research city.
    Wall Street should be in your best :gold: city, such as a shrine.

It is wasteful to put both of these national wonders in one city.

18. TheWilltoAct

What if your best :gold: city is your best research city?

19. sesaMe

sesaMe Chieftain

not quite sure how to show the screenshot, but i just had a game where i axeman rushed the viking capital for a floodplain plus FIVE food resources and what i think was the only marble vein on the map

Attached Files:

20. TheWilltoAct

EDIT- Never mind.

Looks like a good site sesaMe!