My mystery of the pirate dentist

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
So, this has been happening to me over the last month and a half. It would be a funny story, I suppose, if it was happening to somebody else. A learning experience for sure, and hopefully, it ends with a happy ending. Suggestions are welcome.

For the first time in a few years, I now have pretty good dental insurance. I figured I had some dental work that needed to be done, I found a well-regarded dentist a few blocks from my office, and set everything up.

After a consult, it was determined that I needed a few small cavities that needed filled, and could also use a deep cleaning, since i hadn't had one in a while. The way my dental insurance worked required me to pay upfront for the cost of services when using a new dentist, and then the insurance would pay me back 90% of what i spent 3-5 days later. I confirmed this with the insurance company, so it didn't seem weird. I scheduled an appointment for both services.

The dentist was 45 min late, and this was during the World Cup (so I had to get back to the office), so after the fillings, I scheduled another appointment 3 days later to finish the services. I paid the office about 1,500 dollars for the consult, fillings and deep clean, under the impression that I would get about 900 back in a week, and the rest after the appointment.

The dentist had to cancel the next appointment for a family emergency. I had to miss the next proposed date, because I had a work commitment. We settled on another date two weeks in advance. Not ideal, but whatever.

I called the day before that date because I hadn't gotten any insurance money back. No answer. I called the next day. No answer. I emailed. Nothing. I went to the dental office. It was locked, and the security guard in the building said he had no idea where they went. My dentist, and his entire six person staff, that had been in business for over three years, vanished overnight. With my money.

I've spent the last month or so trying to track him down. I have called the police. I have called the DC department of health. I have called multiple lawyers. I have left a LOT of voicemails and angry emails, and have gotten a few back. I just got the insurance paperwork for my cavity work TODAY (they never filed the claim), and it may take another month for me to get a refund for paying for services not rendered.

Nobody has ever said where the dentist went, or why everybody vanished. I checked, and he still has a license. Maybe he got deported? Maybe he went bankrupt? Who knows? But if I can't actually figure out where he is, the next steps seem murky.

Have you ever heard of this happening before? What would you do? HOW DO YOU SOLVE THE CAPER OF THE PIRATE DENTIST?

That's pretty strange, I bet it was just a coincidence that he fled town so suddenly. No way is someone fleeing town just to make $1,500. Maybe he had a family emergency somewhere far and it was so important that he didn't bother to inform any of his clients or anyone else where the hell he was going? I'm imagining a call in the middle of the night.. his mother dying thousands of miles away.. He grabs his stuff, calls a taxi, and runs off to the airport.

Who knows though, it could be an elaborate scam of some sort?

I always pay all my dental work with my credit card, so if something like this happened to me I would just do a chargeback and get all my money back. I mean, after going through some of the stuff you've gone through to try to get it back.

If that's not possible just keep at it I guess. The guy has got to resurface at some point! He must have also had other employees at the location.. assistants, a secretary, other dentists maybe? My dental office never seemed that big, and there's 10 people working there or so. There's no way they all disappeared off the face of the earth.

I also wonder if there's also other people in your exact situation. Not sure how you'd track them down, but that could help too.

Bring the DT hammer down upon him. BTW can you give a full name of the "doc" here?

My friend the maxio facial dude said to contact the District of Columbia dental society. They do peer review for dispute resolution.

Deep cleanings suck.

I have to get 2 crowns put in soon. They recommend a $450 tooth whitening right before the procedure.

I might as well ask in this dental thread what people think about that. (the $450 would not be covered under my plan)

$450 for a basic whiting? Man... I dunno personally I'd just ask for a cleaning which should be covered.

Bring the DT hammer down upon him. BTW can you give a full name of the "doc" here?
Hell hath no fury like a scorned blogger with a 9 month pregnant wife asking where this money went.

My friend the maxio facial dude said to contact the District of Columbia dental society. They do peer review for dispute resolution.

Deep cleanings suck.

This is a good idea. I filed a formal complain with the DC Department of Health, but that could take months to clear. I'll give this a shot.

And yes, they do.

Scummy dentists really suck. In college, it had been a while since I had the money to see a dentist so I went to some local small time dentists office near campus. This was pre-Yelp days, youngsters. Looking back now, I am not entirely sure they were dentists but they were cheap. They told me I had some absurd number of cavities (do I have that many teeth?) and that I needed surgery and all this other stuff. They said they had a payment plan/loan program for the thousands of dollars they wanted to fleece me for.

Skeptical, since I had never had cavities, I went into a little debt to see a real dentist in the nearby city and he told me I had zero cavities and needed to floss. I will never see a dentist before getting multiple trusted word of mouth recommendations ever again.

My dentist is a cash only dentist for cash only people, so I'm bereft of any current experience. But in the course of many years when I did have dental insurance, and not only my own but four other heads full of teeth to be maintained, I don't recall ever paying anything but the co-pay and the insurance payed the dentist...and I know I never paid in advance for anything, just for service rendered on my way out after the appointment.

Is this situation really normal?

I just switched dentists a few years ago because I was tired of driving to the suburbs and i had nothing like this.

In fact, I would say being in the city has improved my experience because now I get headphones to drown out that horrible noise and hand paraffin treatments. :)

I think that it is highway robbery for your insurance plan to take money from you for the plan, then make you pay for any procedure, then give it back to you on the whim of the gods.

Maybe I have never found a good enough plan but for routine cleaning and stuff, I have never found any insurance plan that was really worth the hassle.

Maybe I have never found a good enough plan but for routine cleaning and stuff, I have never found any insurance plan that was really worth the hassle.

That sounds like some combination of poor benefit plans, cheap dentistry, and high personal income.

A routine cleaning here is like $300, I pay with my credit card, dentist office has my benefit details on file and I'm automatically reimbursed into my bank account a few days later.

Something similar happened to a salon used by a relative. She and a lot of people paid up front for treatment packages and the proprietor sold the business to someone else and ran with the money.

Something similar happened to a salon used by a relative. She and a lot of people paid up front for treatment packages and the proprietor sold the business to someone else and ran with the money.

Couple decades ago this was standard practice in the fitness industry.

Set up a cramped little 'gym'. Sell memberships with substantial up front fees in swarms while talking about the plan to move to much larger space. Once it was clearly overcrowded have the members pitch all their friends to make the 'final push' to complete the deal for the new space, also charging substantial up front fees but with reduced monthly rates for both the new member and whoever referred them. Go bankrupt. Form new business, buy gym equipment for pennies on the dollar through bankruptcy proceeding.

Rinse and repeat.

I have to get 2 crowns put in soon. They recommend a $450 tooth whitening right before the procedure.

I might as well ask in this dental thread what people think about that. (the $450 would not be covered under my plan)
Your 2 crowns won't get discoloured in time or bleached, so if the 2 crowns will be clearly visible, you'll need to decide beforehand.

You could try gargling with bacon-oil too :)

Link to video.

Top Bottom