1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My Napoleonic-like War and my new desire for seasons in future Civ games.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Teutorian, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Teutorian

Teutorian Chieftain

So I was playing as the Germans in a Marathon game on a large continent map.
    After years of being picked at by the Persians, Russians and Romans I had built up a Renaissance era military before which the world would tremble. It was massive in scope and state of the art. Just... huge.

The Persians were first, and I marched over them, razing their Empire to the ground. After steamrolling them I reached the final two Persian cities and realized that taking them was a strategic nightmare from the point of my approach because of the placement of two lakes, lots of hills, and the over all lay out of the land.

I decided the Persians had been dealt with, being reduced to two meager and rather unattractive cities and a completely crushed military. Darius offered me a sizable amount of gold and so I pressed on, declaring war on the Romans out of sheer revenge while also going to take on the Russians who declared on me.

Anyway, the Russians and Romans were stretched across a vast frontier with a ton of cities. To speed along my stories, I crushed much of the Russians and dug deep into Roman territory, right up to the city of Rome, when alas, my military had been shreded to the point where many of my units were either in the red or the yellow.
    More over, what was left of the Russians were harrassing me from the south and somehow the Romans had pulled together a threatening military force out of the rubble of what I had reduced them to.

I felt like the the Wehrmacht with the Kremlin in sight but just beyond reach. I had a very Napoleon/Hitler like decision to make. Hold my ground or begin a long and desperate retreat back across the vast frontier until reaching the point that I can heal my still sizeable but badly damaged military. Victory was within reach, but if I lost this military I was in a situation where I knew I would not be able to rebuild it.

I chose the path of Napoleon... and I suffered his same fate.
    I made a run for it.

Now this continent was HUGE, and Germany was now a long, long way away. As I was retreating my formation for my attack west became a jumbled mess as I fled east. The further I retreated, the more scattered and disorganized my military became, all the while with a reformed and refreshed (albeit smaller) Roman military hot on my tail. Meanwhile, the Russians were hitting me with ranged from the south.

When I was nearing my own territory I found to my dismay that the Persians who I had dismissed as thoroughly defeated had rebuilt themselves up and declared war on me as I approached. My once massive and unstoppable military machine was now caught between three armies and in just a few turns I was completely encircled and completely smashed. They all refused peace and shortly after I was conquered.

This was probably the the funnest war I have ever fought in Civilization V. The way it played out leaves me wishing I had taken screenshots.

It reminded me so much of Napoleon and Operation Barbarossa that a light bulb went off above my head and I thought: Wow! How cool would it be if Civilization had changing seasons!?... or even natural disasters?

Imagine the tides of war in Civilization being changed when an invasion is stopped by a freak winter cold? Or the greatest of ancient era city's being obliterated by a Tsunami like is believed with strong evidence to have been the fate of Atlantis in southern Spain?

It would add so much to the game. I'm no game designed and don't know what kind of coding this would entail but I think the addition of seasonal effects and/or natural disasters would really add a lot to the tale of the rise and fall of nations.

2. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Sounds like you conquered in a hurry, you need to temper that wild raging hot bull spirit in you and allow the soldiers resupply from a battle for territory. :<

Caesar, he's a nasty guy, he always send his soldiers together in slightly coherent group.

Even when I got him down to like last ten cities he was still churning out troops like mad in even on prince difficulty.

And seconded, I would love to have random events returned and natural disasters is part of random events. xD

I've had a city of mine fall into perma anarchy cuz I'm a dumbass. XD which would be actually solved if i removed my factory tile improvements back in civ 4's mods xD

3. Brichals

Brichals King

Yes random events, mini ice ages etc. I also like that idea. Many don't because they say it removes the skill element a bit but then whats the difference in random starts etc.

I would also like to see more rise and fall of nations. Currently whoever is leading in medieval is pretty much going to win. Where is the fall of Rome or the emergence of Netherlands/England/Portugal into world powers from small countries (almost city states in Civ terms). Some mechanic to bring this into the game would be very difficult though. Civ 3 had more or less random golden ages and great people which were massive and could change the game. Civ 4 had random events but they kind of sucked, more RPG than TBS.

PS nice story, you are right, pics would have been great.

4. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

Ha! I enjoyed the story, it's a good read.

5. pickle

pickle Lord of the Preserves

going back to Hard to get, semi random and hugely powerful GPs could help. Getting one could let a smaller civ triumph in a war with the superpower. or at least not get stomped. I say add some random events and put the hating on the leader

6. sebasm

sebasm Comfortably Numb

There is not much skill involved in copying strats. I fact, random events would make it a much more challenging game as then you would have to adapt in order to recover, or finish up before the enemy does.

7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I don't mind random events, but no thanks to seasons. One turn is supposed to cover multiple years.

8. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Prince

I think seasons would be nice in a scenario... For example, a Napoleon scenario where you have to rush to defeat the Russians before winter sets in or a game in medieval times where fighting is only possible during the spring-summer and troops return home for the harvest.

9. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

This thread proves that ciV can be entertaining when the right circunstances happen.

This game have a huge potential, I hope the devs can improve it to the point where every ciV game is as fun as this thread.

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Oh yeah, that would definitely be cool.

11. DarkMaster

DarkMaster Warlord

It's a bit unrelated to the topic and not exactly what you asked, but have you tried playing the Total War series? In particular, Empire / Napoleon: Total War are excellent and the Total War style is much better to imagine yourself in those strategic decisions of war (ie, do I push forward and stretch my army? Do I risk advancing in the winter).

It's a bit of a different game than Civ, of course (despite both being turn based), but Civ's board game style doesn't translate itself too well for realistic military strategies / decisions. Placing some sort of weather just to accommodate that would be a bit of a stretch, IMO.

12. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

Sounds like a mod idea, honestly. Sounds potentially really cool, but not something that desperately needs to be part of the core game, unless they do a MUCH larger tech tree, with much more detailed eras.

EDIT: Also, great story. I don't generally have a lot of stories like that because I don't generally do the Napoleon thing and drastically overextend myself - I'm very conservative in wars and mostly don't fight unless I know I'll win.

13. Lose

Lose King

seasons sounds good... they already have it in the game settings but to apply that in game so we can have hot cold and temperate weather through the ages would be nice

14. Teutorian

Teutorian Chieftain

Well, the `Napoleon thing` was a result of having been unable to explore really beyond Persia and so I didn't understand what I was getting into. I had no idea before hand that Rome stretched so far, I just kept encountering a cluster of cities after a cluster of cities and when I had finally found Rome I was stretched way too far and unable to resupply my army.

Certainly not like most of my more successful and decisive wars but sometimes one has to be bold!

15. cccv

cccv King

Seasons sound cool for a scenario, but not as something to be applied to the overall game. It wouldn't make sense since turns go by years.

I really hate the natural disaster idea, tbh. Lots of people don't love random events because they don't like being punished at random. It would be much worse if applied to your invasions rather than just having a granary catch fire or something. "Oh, I just lost half of my army because of a tsunami"... *ragequit*

16. Callonia

Callonia Deity

That is divine wind, never never invade Japan if you or your army is of Mongolian Origins. Via sea that is.

17. Revoran

Revoran Prince

If random events could be toggled on / off then it would be fine.

18. Ravellion

Ravellion Prince

*deleted*