My one gripe about Beyond the Sword

They should have tried to get William Shatner for BTS quotes.

That "smock" is Sid Meier.

And I don't think he's a great voice actor either, tbh.

He can talk with a voice of an Uruk Hai if it is for me, and if he continues to design masterpieces like civilization...

Do not insult Meier San!

They could have done a lot better surely even if Nimoy wasn't available.
Maybe someone with a more aged voice.

Thank God, I thought I was just hearing voices in my head every time I researched Aesthetics.

Of course, this isn't the first time that Sid has made a cameo appearance in the Civilization series -- and, no, I'm not talking about the Civ IV tutorial. Don't you guys remember? He was the 'scientist' who introduced new technologies in Civilization....

If that's your one gripe about BtS, it must kick major ass! It's certainly worth the 34.95.

What about the voice of Patrick Stewart. He would sound great! Get him to do the voiceover for some of the techs and put it on the next patch.

They should let Civfanatics do their own recording of the tech quote and send the sample in to Firaxis, with the best one being used in the next patch.

I cant believe people listen to those quotes game after game. i have almost al audio options set to 'no sound'. The 'ambience in the cities means i cant think about the tiles, the interface sounds in battle drive me nuts.

Only sound effects remain, and my favorite hotkey is ctrl M, no music.

This way I can concentrate.

Yeah, hearing Leonard Nimoy's voice is definitely better than listening to Sid's, but Sid created the Civ series so he can do whatever he wants, I guess.

And not rag on Spock, but he did give us this little gem once:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04

Wow. That's really, really bad.

Nimoy has a good voice, which is why he also did documentaries and other series (IE Histories movies or whatever it was called a couple decades ago). His voice carries that "timeless" or "ancient" feeling a voice over should in this game.

I'm no fan of Sid's voice either, but I am a fan of his brain!

I was surprised reading here that the new voice is Sid Meier. He sounds so very young. In comparison to Nimoy BtS Techs sound like a fan made addition. Something you'd like to hear in a mod but you'd kinda expect more in an official expansion. The quality is just odd.

Idea.
Instead of Spock?
Let's get Chekov.

"You have inwented Fusion. Now you can build nuclear wessels."

I hate his voiceover. Its terrible, its worst than terrible it makes me cringe listening and to even compare it with the Nimoy is an insult - and I say this as someone who hasn't even seem most of Star Treck.

I think its just one of those "michael jackson" things where the people around you don't pull you to one side and tell you "this isn't gonna turn out quite as you imagine it in your head" because they're either too afraid or simply don't care enough

You know, I never thought Leonard Nimoy reading those texts was that wonderful. Half the time he sounded as if he was longing for the lunch break. I haven't played BtS yet (I hope to get it *today*), but I'm keeping an open mind about the voice issue.

Öjevind Lång;5725027 said:
You know, I never thought Leonard Nimoy reading those texts was that wonderful. Half the time he sounded as if he was longing for the lunch break. I haven't played BtS yet (I hope to get it *today*), but I'm keeping an open mind about the voice issue.

Maybe, who knows - but the comparison with the new voice is just BAD.
Sid is a great designer I'll give him that, but his voice sounds shrill and adolescent (sorry guys) especially on the microphone.

Most voice actors train pretty hard on the voice and it does take a lot of work to be able to sound good on any form of media - sometimes even the change that the recording equipment induces [even telephone] completely ruins the voice, which may also be the reason in this case.

I don't like Sid as a voiceover either, he sounds plainly average, we need a EPIC voiceover to announce new technologies and the advancement of human soceity. Sure Sid invented Civ, but he didn't work on Civ 4 at all, i think he worked as a consultant..... come on Leonard NImoy's voice is sooo much better!

I don't know exactly how many new techs are added in BtS, but isn't it something like five or six? Don't you think it would be a little ridiculous to call up Leonard Nimoy (and pay him a lot of money) just to have him read six quotes?

I agree, it sounds inconsistent and Sid Meier probably isn't the best voice actor, but hey.. It'll do..

There are only two voices that could outdo Nimoy for this kind of work -- James Earl Jones and Morgan Freeman. Perhaps, perhaps Martin Sheen.

Top Bottom