1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] My opinion on the new CS bonus

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Well, I don't play with secret societies. Having Vampires in a game called "civilization"? Huh!

PenngwynXVII and Victoria like this.
  2. monikernemo

monikernemo Warlord

so are giant death robots

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

A touch of transformers and historic civ consistent I guess... but Yh, as bad as nosferatu.
    we now know the future is more about drones while they have been relegated to 5 tile visibility loons in the game.
    So sad.

Meluhhan and acluewithout like this.
  4. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

FXS can of course make whatever game they want. And I’m okay with genre stuff to a point, be it mecha or vampires.

But it’s a pity FXS don’t avoid more cliche space opera cliche, and instead do more with some of the real technology being worked on. Much of it is just amazing and often weird and scary. I completely agree with drones, which have completely changed the military and surveillance (not to mention potentially logistics). But also things like Crispr which could completely change medicine, and perhaps society.

But, it’s a game. And they just wanted to give people something that was easily recognisable and a callback, and went stomp stomp.

8housesofelixir and Victoria like this.
  5. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

Vampires and Giant Death Robots are too much! Now watch as I chop down acres of forest in one turn to produce an off-world spaceship made of oak - truly a historical feat worthy of belonging in a game called Civilization! :)

6. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

However I can tell you that the true bonus of secret society is that it gives you a lot of extra governor titles in ancient era, which makes your earl game become much faster, and also helps you reach golden classical. This is the main power of "Secret Society". The secret society itself, however, plays an inferior part.

7. monikernemo

monikernemo Warlord

Yes the extra titles are helpful, but SS is quite a fun mode nonetheless steam rolling in science without campuses.

8. Furycrab

Furycrab King

Oh I know, but the other bonuses are really cool to explore and honestly I've been having fun lining up the bonuses. Playing a Russia Work Ethics Voidsinger game and that's pretty bonkers. I sorta want to try an Owls of Minerva Hungary Domination game. Having more fun with this than Apoc mode which just amplified aspects of the game I didn't really like.

That said, I still stand by my statement that I'm enjoying the nerf to that 1 envoy Capitol yield, just because of how much it reduces the impact of which citystates you initially find.

Deadly Dog and Pietato like this.
  9. Minou

Minou Prince

Gotta chime in that I just hate seeing most Commercial City States in my game. The new envoy bonuses make them even worse, but they were pretty terrible before except for Cahokia and Zanzibar. They even suck at boosting trade routes compared to the Cultural city state Kumasi. Kumasi will often give you 6c+ and 3g+ for each trade route, while Antioch will give you just 3g. Bandar Brunei will often give nothing for most of the game and maybe 2g later.

I would argue keeping +4g for each step of the envoy ladder would be necessary to make them less terrible.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  10. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Early on in the cycle, I likes commercial CS the best, since +4 gold in your cap, CH and Harbors was just so much gold and it was awesome. Then they nerfed them by splitting the gold in half to divvy up between the CH and Harbor. Right now, though, it feels like it must be a bug that they only give the same raw yields as the other districts despite gold being clearly less valuable in a 1:1 basis. They should be at least +2/+4/+6 to even get back to the balance they used to be.

8housesofelixir likes this.