1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My Own Civilopedia: Barracks

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Osvaldo Manso, May 18, 2020.

1. Osvaldo Manso

Osvaldo Manso Warlord

I'm back with one more entry of «My Own Civilopedia».
    This time I decided to write about the only city building available in 4000 BC.
    As always I would like to have some feedback from you all.

BARRACKS

Barracks is the only building in the game which can be built without any prior scientific advance. This gives you an idea of how Sid Meier and Bruce Shelley thought about the importance of building Barracks right from the beginning.

Building Barracks has two purposes:

1. Making veterans all the new military units built in the city.

2. Preventing the disaster of a city being plundered by pirates.

The first purpose is achievable in other way not requiring the construction of Barracks: making military units winning a battle (there’s a 50% chance of becoming veteran each time a non-veteran unit wins a combat).

The second purpose however can only be achieved by building Barracks in each city. However, a city being plundered by pirates is quite a rare event (it’s a random disaster) which does not justify building and paying each turn for a Barracks.

The problems with Barracks

Barracks require a short amount of shields (40 shields) to complete so they are easy and quick to build. The problem with Barracks is their maintenance cost – you need to pay 1 to 3 coins each turn (the amount depends on the type of Barracks – 1st generation Barracks cost 1 coin; 2nd generation Barracks, built after discovering Gunpowder cost 2 coins and 3rd generation Barracks, built after discovering Combustion cost 3 coins).

Another problem with Barracks is that they get obsolete by the discovery of Gunpowder and Combustion meaning that a new Barracks will have to be built for keeping the benefits. Unfortunately, both Gunpowder and Combustion are quite important advances and should not be put aside just to keep Barracks up-to-date.

The good thing with Barracks

A great feature of Barracks is that their principal advantage is for units and not for the city itself (except for preventing piracy from occurring). Units can be moved and reassigned to other cities. This means that you don’t need Barracks in every city to possess a veteran army. In fact, with a good road/rail network you only need a couple of cities equipped with Barracks (preferably industrial cities that can build units in just a few turns).

Conclusion: As a general advice, it is wise to avoid the massive construction of Barracks especially in the first millennia when your financial and industrial resources are scarce. You’d better invest in science and technology rather than public works because of maintenance costs.

Unless you are having trouble with a tough enemy, you should leave the construction of Barracks for later stages of the game when most of your cities are connected by a network of roads or railroads and hopefully your treasure will be healthy enough to pay for their maintenance. Barracks is not as important as Sid Meier and Bruce Shelley intended to be. Their main benefit can be obtained in more cheap way.

2. tupi

tupi Chieftain

Well, maintenance cost for barracks in .05 is following:
    diff. lower than Prince: 0
    from Prince to King: 1
    Emperor and higher: 2
    with Gunpowder: +1
    with Combustion: +1
    so max cost is 4 on emperor
    But if I remember correctly, it's always 0 in .01.

3. Osvaldo Manso

Osvaldo Manso Warlord

Thank you for reading and commenting.
    I always play King and I was unaware of this differences.
    I will keep this in mind for the review.