My pet hate about Civ IV - Stock Exchanges

AmazonQueen

Virago
Don't get me wrong, they are a great UB but they are not a type of bank.
We don't have a stock exchange in every town, just 1 (imaginatively called The Stock Exchange).

I would be happier if the English UB was renamed or replaced. Possibly call it a Brokers if kept the same or replace it with 1 of the following:

1. Shipyard - replaces Drydock. To reflect her period of dominace of the seas this would come earlier than drydock and perhaps give a free upgrade as well as the +4XP.

2. Mill - replaces Factory. As the onetime workshop of the world this seems appropriate. Again it would come a bit earlier than a factory and have a minor bonus.

3. Museum - replaces Observatory. As a nation obsessed with past glories we do have a lot of museums. Gives a culture bonus as well as a science bonus.

Don't get me wrong, they are a great UB but they are not a type of bank.
We don't have a stock exchange in every town, just 1 (imaginatively called The Stock Exchange).

I would be happier if the English UB was renamed or replaced. Possibly call it a Brokers if kept the same or replace it with 1 of the following:

1. Shipyard - replaces Drydock. To reflect her period of dominace of the seas this would come earlier than drydock and perhaps give a free upgrade as well as the +4XP.

2. Mill - replaces Factory. As the onetime workshop of the world this seems appropriate. Again it would come a bit earlier than a factory and have a minor bonus.

3. Museum - replaces Observatory. As a nation obsessed with past glories we do have a lot of museums. Gives a culture bonus as well as a science bonus.

Wouldn't that make it essentialy the same as the French Salon (which is an observatory with a free artist? ;-)

Wouldn't that make it essentialy the same as the French Salon (which is an observatory with a free artist? ;-)

But English so obviously better :lol:
The shipyard is pretty unique (pretty weak too but England has a good UU and 1 of the best leaders anyway)

their UU isn't as good as it once was, it's still good though. I would be in favor of giving them a new UB since all three of their leaders are great. The shipyard would be just bad enough to balence them out maybe.

Having the mill be exactly like a factory but come available with Steam Power instead of Assembly line would certainly be very interesting. Would also increase the life time of the Red Coat as assembly line would not be as important a tech to discover. Very interesting.

There are a whole bunch of UBs that seem inappropriate in the light of the building they're supposed to replace.

Greek Odeon replaces colosseum?
Byzatine Hippodrome replaces theatre?
Mongolian Ger = stables?
Chinese Pavilion = theatre?

I'm thinking these sort of "inaccuracies" are worth putting up with for what I consider a pretty well balanced UB system.

Having the mill be exactly like a factory but come available with Steam Power instead of Assembly line would certainly be very interesting. Would also increase the life time of the Red Coat as assembly line would not be as important a tech to discover. Very interesting.

Also you'd be able to talk about 'trouble at t'mill'

Top Bottom