My problem with cottages

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Legio X, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Legio X

Legio X Chieftain

Honored members of the forum,
    I'm having a lot of problems with cottages. From what I've understand by now is that you make money on cottages. But somehow, I still don't make any money on cottages. In fact, I've found myself loosing money after building a cottage (although that could be incidental).

Do the cottage needs to be placed in a certain area, maintained by something or have a road to the closest city? Or do you need a special tech to actually make some money on it?

Sorry for the noob questions here, but if you don't ask you'll never know. ;)

2. PinholeStar

PinholeStar Chieftain

You have to "work" the cottage tile for it to bring in commerce etc. On the city screen, click the relevant tile & a white circle should appear around it. This means that the tile is now being worked.

3. atreas

atreas King

Two issues here: the first one has to do, as already noted, with the fact that it's not enough to build a cottage - you must also use it. Consequently, you can't work on more cottages than is your current city population - so, if you just build more and more cottages but your cities don't grow, you get nothing.

The second issue is a bit deeper: cottages don't produce GOLD, but produce COMMERCE. The commerce, in turn, is transformed into BEAKERS (science) and gold (money) according to the science percentage you have. That means, if you have 100% science, you will never get extra gold from your cottages, no matter how many they are (but you will get extra science beakers). Something similar can happen in the case of all other science percentages, because cIV uses rounding when calculating things. For example:

Let's suppose you have a city with 5 cottages next to a river - that's 10 commerce (for a not Financial civ) plus 1 commerce from the city tile it gives 11 commerce. If you have the science slider at 90%, then this is transformed to 9 beakers and 1 gold. If now you can work on one extra cottage, then you will have 13 commerce - with the 90% science you get 11 beakers but still only 1 gold. Thus, the extra cottages may not produce "visibly" extra gold, but they will produce either extra gold or extra science beakers.

4. Pantastic

Pantastic King

A cottage needs to be in a city's radius. In order to make money from it, one of your population needs to work it (white circle in the city view) or it doesn't do anything (just like a mine or farm that you don't work). To start off with, cottages are really weak, they only provide 1 commerce. Over time if they're being worked they grow to 2, 3, and finally 4 base commerce, plus they get a bonus commerce if next to a river, and a financial civ gets their bonus if it's on a river or grows. This provides pretty good money from fairly early on. Later in the game you can switch your civics and develop techs to get another 3 commerce and a hammer from a town.

5. Legio X

Legio X Chieftain

Forgot about this topic. Thanks for your replies, I will take this into consideration next time I play so that I don't expect to get rich just by spamming cottages.