My processor is an i7 3930k, should I have long processing times?

Leathaface

Emperor
People have talked about there being 30 seconds turns in the modern/information era due to processing, all the data being processed.

Should my processor relieve much of this?

On biggest sized map with 22 civilizations and 30+ city states i get much longer turns than 30 seconds T_T
Alot depends on number of civs and map size

i wish i could wait only for 30s, i always play epic game, 22 civs plus 40 CSs and wait for more than 6 min for a turn from modern era on my i5 processor @@

I don't think it will simply because the game won't come close to utilizing all the processor cores. My i7-930 barely gets touched for CPU load/Memory load.

I know what I WON'T be doing in my next game - allying city-states. It's a pain in the arse when you get to wait all their triremes move 1 by 1...

From another thread or two, I found that turning 'fast unit movement' on made a dramatic speed increase. I now don't have time to take more than a quick swig of my beer. This is on standard map & speed.

I have also read that turning on strategic view before the 'end turn' makes a difference, but not for me.

I have an i7 3740 QM @ 2.7 GHz processor and a GeForce GT 650M, and with plenty of RAM and an SSD.

I know what I WON'T be doing in my next game - allying city-states. It's a pain in the arse when you get to wait all their triremes move 1 by 1...

Turn on quick move to alleviate this.

You can also turn on quick combat, but if you are at war with anyone this can be confusing, so depending on your experience with the game you may want to turn it off when you get a DoW.

Look at the turns happen. I have a similar first world problem. I was like "holy crap these turns are taking forever." Then I looked at the turn counter and realized "holy crap look at how fast each computer's turn is going by." Literally on a Huge map it takes 1 second per computer and 8 seconds for the city-states and barbarians.... that ain't bad.

i wish i could wait only for 30s, i always play epic game, 22 civs plus 40 CSs and wait for more than 6 min for a turn from modern era on my i5 processor @@

I haven`t timed it yet, but I have the same settings and now I`m getting around 2-5 minutes waiting. I get the Bible out and start reading.

Okay what, where, and how?

http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/1e0vgc/psa_speed_up_civ_5s_performance_between_turns/

Skim through this thread for a general idea: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470659
The link in that OP is broken, here is the fixed link (click on "View Raw" to download it): https://github.com/malkia/ufo/blob/master/bin/Windows/x86/luajit.dll
1) Navigate to Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\
2) Find the file: lua51_win32.dll
3) Delete or rename this file.
4) Add the new .dll file that you downloaded into this same folder and name it the exact same thing as the old dll: lua51_win32.dll
5) Play the game. If you get crashes, you probably did something wrong.
Optional: Copy and backup the original .dll somewhere on your computer. It's optional because you can always just delete what .dll you have in the folder and then have Steam verify game cache to redownload whatever files are missing.
The wait between turns had me so frustrated that I stopped playing Civ V for a while and went back to IV. Then I tried out using that new luajit.dll (you need to rename it as it says in the thread) and now the time between turns is ridiculously fast.
Caveat: This new lua engine breaks a lot (most?) mods since they were written with the game's original lua scripting in mind. Stuff like CivUP or Cultural Diffusion won't work anymore, but stuff like Colored Religion Icons or other "simple" mods will work just fine.
I've been using this LUA engine for months now on Win 8 64-bit and previously on Win 7 64-bit. Been playing the game on DX10/11 the entire time as well.

It is not only processor, 8GB+ RAM, SSD drive and a decent video card is strongly recommended as well. I have a similar setup and my load times on standard map size are very reasonable. I haven't tried 22civs though

Top Bottom