My proposal for a new leader for Germany

Hello,
During the Gathering Storm DLC, France and England received a new leader to lead their civilizations. I would like to share with you one of my ideas for Germany, which currently has only one leader. First of all, you should know that German history has always been a succession of union and division of the different German regions, which led to greatness or disaster. I therefore propose as a new leader an essential figure in German history that we encountered in previous games: Otto Van Bismarck, the unifier of the German empire. If Frederic 1er tries to unite his empire by force (thanks to the military boost against city-states), Bismarck will try to achieve it by war diplomacy (as he did during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 ). I therefore propose the following boost:
"Iron Chancellor: Neighboring city-states (up to 6 spaces from one of your cities) that fight the same enemy civilization as you during a war may be annexed free of charge by Germany. +5 military powers to all units against civilizations that have declared war on you. +10 if it is a surprise war."

"Diplomacy without weapons is music without instruments." - Otto Von Bismarck

This strategy can be very interesting to exploit for war diplomacy. The annexation of city-states of which Germany is the suzerain is not really interesting. That said, the whole complexity will be to annex the city-states of the other suzerains, through skillful and strategic declarations of war. Germany's neighbors who are suzerains of a nearby city-state will have to think twice before declaring war, for fear of Germany joining them and annexing their city-states at the same time.
This mechanism will completely change the perception of alliances during the wars and sanction the most hawkish and the least strategists. In addition, the pressure exerted by the Germans on the nearby city-states and the dangers of a common war, will push the players to declare war on Germany in order to eliminate this risk. This is where the military boost against the civilizations that declare war on you is interesting, and Germany will try to be as threatening and provocative as possible in order to be attacked and therefore more easily win the war (that's exactly which Bismarck did with the dispatch from Ems).
Germany will therefore shine during international intrigues and take the opportunity to unify with the nearby city-states. It will must therefore ensure that it maintains a high level of diplomatic visibility in order to be aware of all the wars that could serve to unify it.

For AI, Bismarck would adopt the behavior:
Blood and Iron : Loves civilizations that wage common wars. Do not like civilizations that wage war alone.

This is just a small suggestion from a great admirer of the game and a history enthusiast. What do you think ?

I love the idea. It may be very strong at low level but much less at high level. Good players will just conquer all the city states close to Germany at the start of the game and the bismarck bonuses will be useless.
In any case, it will create some interesting gameplay :) .

I love the idea. It may be very strong at low level but much less at high level. Good players will just conquer all the city states close to Germany at the start of the game and the bismarck bonuses will be useless.
In any case, it will create some interesting gameplay :) .
You've understood everything ! I really hope Bismarck will be added in civ 7.

Yes I think there is little chance that a new dlc will appear for civ 6. So let's hope to see Bismarck in civ 7 !

Yes I think there is little chance that a new dlc will appear for civ 6. So let's hope to see Bismarck in civ 7 !
There is absolutely no chance of bismarck appearing in civ 7. The devs will definitely be looking to innovate and renew leaders, he's too "deja vu"

I want to see explicitly peaceful German leader focused on economy, culture, science. So far neither Frederick, Bismarck nor Barbarossa fulfill this niche (well Barbarossa is less spectacular in this regard). There was one German leader who was a painter in his youth, but I vaguely recall he is slighty controversial over there so nevermind.

I just want to see incarnation of Germany not built around it being WARMONGER DISCIPLINED INDUSTRIAL POWER. No idea who should that be though; I'd go either for either one of many great HREmperors (maybe someone from Ottonian dynasty fits), or some non - Prussian German local ruler. I'd be perfectly fine with one of West German chancellors.

Also, Germany never having scientific bonus in civ series is madness

Why ? It seems to me that Bismarck made sure that it was France which declared war on him in order to win it, and played on union against the enemy to annex the duchies of the south. He did the same against Denmark and Austria to annex the northern duchies. I find that logical with the bonuses offered.
Napoleon III wanted Bonaparte to seat on Spanish Throne, while Bismarc prefers the Bonaparte's nemesis -- The Bourbons to return to restored Spanish Monarchy.
In the end the Bonaparte lost everything, while Bourbons did return to Spain.

And these were Bismarc's first decade, when war is needed to unite Germany particulalry to subdue Austria, finishing off what that began in 1830

Top Bottom