[R&F] My quickest Science win on Immortal was on turn 280. Would that be good enough on Deity?

Leathaface

Emperor
I am trying to improve my Science game to move up from Immortal. Lately when I get a good start, have friendly neighbours and aren't surrounded my other Civs I find myself winning fairly handily at Immortal, with Science victories at least.

Is a Science victory on turn 280 (standard speed) good enough on Deity?

Just today I finished a Scythia Deity/Continents game with T299 SV. At that point, the closest contender - Shaka - was all three Mars techs and projects away. The Cree were closest to the culture victory, but still had only half the needed tourism. The Mongols were closest to religious victory with 3/7 converted civs, down from a better position of 4/7 they had earlier in the game. I was also the best on the DV front with one whole AI conquered :D

So you're good to go. AI finish times may vary from game to game, sometimes they may try to pull off a faster victory, if you do nothing. In my case Shaka was most scientifically advanced AI, but I joined a lucky emergency against him, and with Bodyguard of Lies from GAs my spies were leaving smoldering ruins in place of his spaceports and industrial zones every few turns, plus they stole all the late game eurekas without a single one of them being caught or killed, so the Zulu stalled and stagnated completely over the last few dozens of turns. I only used 4 Campuses - 3 self built and 1 captured.

I'm willing to bet you'd do fine on Deity. The real worry is that you get rushed in the opening turns. Once you have your defenses in place the ai isn't very dangerous. They put victory conditions together very slowly.

I'd focus less on turn time to achieve the victory and more on how comfortable you are riding out the first few eras where the AI will try to dominate you. Once the warring settles down you'll find yourself feeling like you are on immortal again.

I used to play emperor level allot. Then I began to frequent this board and became inspired :crazyeye:. This coincided with R&F coming out and ruining my favorite form of government (Theocracy). So I built campus districts instead of holy sites. I do fine on deity now, and if you survive the early game, you will win. Just build more campus districts.

I think you will cut it close but give it a try

If you take all their cities they can't beat you to space.
What is taking their cities though? I would like to see religious conversion and trading post strategies to be just as good as taking by force. The era dedications seem to reflect this.

What is taking their cities though? I would like to see religious conversion and trading post strategies to be just as good as taking by force. The era dedications seem to reflect this.

Those mechanics are, at present, inherently lower risk and confer more immediate/guaranteed benefits than offensive warfare, so it's not appropriate to allow their rewards to be comparable.

The catchphrase of civ is to stand the test of time. Dead civs fail that by definition and can't win. Making every other civ dead means you win no matter what.

This thread shows that the AI tends to win around turn 300-350 so a 288 science victory should be very doable.

I'll echo what others have said. Deity is about surviving the first couple of eras. If you can do that you can win.

Those mechanics are, at present, inherently lower risk and confer more immediate/guaranteed benefits than offensive warfare, so it's not appropriate to allow their rewards to be comparable.

The catchphrase of civ is to stand the test of time. Dead civs fail that by definition and can't win. Making every other civ dead means you win no matter what.
I agree with warring someone but only as a last resort. If I've virtually "conquered" someone with my religion or created a trade network between them and me that is satisfactory as long as I can pursue my civ's agenda. If they are an existential threat then by all means I'll go after them if I'm sharp, but flying under the radar using casus belli and not acting too unilaterally are my preferred options.

Top Bottom