My short film (based on CIV V) is a VIMEO STAFF PICK!

Hello friends and fellow fanatics,

As you may have known, I'm a die-hard CIV fan. The game has provided countless hours of strategy and fun, but it has also provided me with an enhanced outlook on life. In CIV V, we control an entire miniature society, in all its glory, triumph and genocidal mayhem. In short, we create the entire story of mankind, one turn at a time.

A little over a year ago, I took the concept of CIV literally and recreated the entire story of mankind through the creation of a short experimental film called SEED STORY, which features hundreds of one-inch plastic figures. The film focuses on the negative addictions mankind has suffered throughout the ages through allusions to religion, capitalism, and totalitarianism.

I could delve into this at great length, but would love your support. Please watch my 12 minute short here: https://vimeo.com/51315610

Moderator Action: Moved to the Arts and Entertainment forum. It may be based upon Civ5, but has little to do with the actual game. Congratulations on your work. :thumbsup:

The video is great, and I applaud your efforts on it. But I think your a bit too cynical about capitalism and religion. While I won't disagree that MANY bad things have been done in the name of religion (especially Catholicism), I don't believe that the entire concept of faith or even the Catholic church itself can be accused of being nothing but hate, especially in current times when most religious organizations' secular activities largely comprise charities. While the Catholic church is corrupt even nowadays, I don't think every Catholic priest should be held accountable. As far as capitalism goes, frankly, it's a good thing in my opinion. Environmental damage and evil corporations aside, the premise of corporations is just, well, an organization aimed at making money for its employees. The corporation isn't necessarily evil and don't have to screw the people over, it could just be a group of shareholders aiming to sell things to people so that the people are happy and the shareholders make money. The whole protest then get shot at thing is a bit hyperbolic, and I couldn't take it seriously once I saw the occupy sign. As a whole, I think it's a bit much to compare those two things to the horrors that occurred during the Nazi regime.

/rant
Aside from that, it really is a masterpiece, and definitely not something I could ever dream of making.

Very impressive indeed, congratulations!

I certainly don't agree with the philosophy presented* for a number of reasons, but I don't have to agree to appreciate the art and skill involved in creating this.

*I happen to believe we in the developed world are living in a true golden age, and our only need is to spread that to the entire world, and to make sure we use this brief period to get off our planet and explore pastures new.

As others said, very good technical work, although I cannot avoid thinking that one of the big (gest?) destructive addictions of humanity, one of the big "isms", is missing... collectivism.

Superb video El Caballerion, this is genuinely impressive.

One thing I'd say is...
The video is great, and I applaud your efforts on it. But I think your a bit too cynical about capitalism and religion. While I won't disagree that MANY bad things have been done in the name of religion (especially Catholicism), I don't believe that the entire concept of faith or even the Catholic church itself can be accused of being nothing but hate, especially in current times when most religious organizations' secular activities largely comprise charities. While the Catholic church is corrupt even nowadays, I don't think every Catholic priest should be held accountable. As far as capitalism goes, frankly, it's a good thing in my opinion. Environmental damage and evil corporations aside, the premise of corporations is just, well, an organization aimed at making money for its employees. The corporation isn't necessarily evil and don't have to screw the people over, it could just be a group of shareholders aiming to sell things to people so that the people are happy and the shareholders make money. The whole protest then get shot at thing is a bit hyperbolic, and I couldn't take it seriously once I saw the occupy sign. As a whole, I think it's a bit much to compare those two things to the horrors that occurred during the Nazi regime.
...oh, he beat me to it. Well, I wouldn't say especially the Catholic church; Hinduism, Islam and even Confucianism have all committed unbelievable atrocities throughout the ages - only longer ago and further away from our Euro-centric perspective on world history.

Perhaps the most relevant addiction in current society is the Cult of the Individual. The interpretation of Freedom as meaning nothing more than the ability to get whatever you want whenever you want it - this idea is truely destructive to society (imho).

Very nice video and effort but I don't agree what you did there with the catholic church although some was true others wasn't they didn't originally attack because they were there being Muslims it was because Islam kept attacking byzantine orthodox and the Italian, Spanish Catholics such pillaging and conquering and forced conversion or your head gets chopped off so the Catholics attacking the Muslims doesn't really go good and Islam isn't exactly dead neither. This is just my viewpoints and I am not writing this angry or the thought of bashing you either.

Very nice video and effort but I don't agree what you did there with the catholic church although some was true others wasn't they didn't originally attack because they were there being Muslims it was because Islam kept attacking byzantine orthodox and the Italian, Spanish Catholics such pillaging and conquering and forced conversion or your head gets chopped off so the Catholics attacking the Muslims doesn't really go good and Islam isn't exactly dead neither. This is just my viewpoints and I am not writing this angry or the thought of bashing you either.

The way i understand it - the author didn't mean to be absolutely historically precise. The video depicts events that are similar to those that have happened (or may have happened / can happen / will possibly happen). Above all it's about human nature.

Aaanyway, i don't understand where you see Muslims and Catholics... all i can see is Cathelions burning native Feathians and fighting Dandelislam, while Dandecorp ruins our planet and later Dandelitarian regime brings only opression and death ;)

Hey guys,

Thanks for your constructive comments. For one, the religion in the film isn't necessarily 'Catholic', but it is based on Catholic imagery. Of course I know that the Christians aren't the sole purveyors of violence. Duh. Given the 12 minute film time, I had to consolidate to one conflict, which resemble the Crusades.

The way i understand it - the author didn't mean to be absolutely historically precise. The video depicts events that are similar to those that have happened (or may have happened / can happen / will possibly happen). Above all it's about human nature.

Aaanyway, i don't understand where you see Muslims and Catholics... all i can see is Cathelions burning native Feathians and fighting Dandelislam, while Dandecorp ruins our planet and later Dandelitarian regime brings only opression and death ;)

THIS guy got it right...... ;)

Though the movie has a solemn tone, it ends with hope, as children (aka INNOCENCE) is the only way we can stop our violent ways.

I happen to believe we in the developed world are living in a true golden age, and our only need is to spread that to the entire world, and to make sure we use this brief period to get off our planet and explore pastures new.

A little bit narrow kind of view. You better start looking things from different perspectives. Overall a very good video, interesting in it's own..sad.. kind of way.

from a technical, film-making point of view, that was great! the creativity behind finding the images, angles, filters, using all those miniatures, creating structures/backgrounds/symbolism, the music, it was all SO creative and interesting. it started and finished with an expected pace and tempo. I'm not sure how you take on a project like that and fund it but well done!

as for the meaning or intent I found it intriguing. one view isnt enough for me to start assessing/judging it but it is the kind of thing that might polarize viewers based on their religious leanings or personal experiences. this is often a good point to make in art, a good objective to start a conversation. for now im too enamored with the film making aspect of it, the artistic side of creating the shots and imagery with the miniatures. i might return to the loftier discussions later, though. again, really well done! im glad Vimeo thought it was good enough for highlighting to their subscribers.

from a technical, film-making point of view, that was great! the creativity behind finding the images, angles, filters, using all those miniatures, creating structures/backgrounds/symbolism, the music, it was all SO creative and interesting. it started and finished with an expected pace and tempo. I'm not sure how you take on a project like that and fund it but well done!

as for the meaning or intent I found it intriguing. one view isnt enough for me to start assessing/judging it but it is the kind of thing that might polarize viewers based on their religious leanings or personal experiences. this is often a good point to make in art, a good objective to start a conversation. for now im too enamored with the film making aspect of it, the artistic side of creating the shots and imagery with the miniatures. i might return to the loftier discussions later, though. again, really well done! im glad Vimeo thought it was good enough for highlighting to their subscribers.

Big thanks!!!! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

One thing I don't get is why those Christian Missionaries murdered those Natives.

One thing I don't get is why those Christian Missionaries murdered those Natives.

The missionaries (who, I'll admit, are based on Catholic imagery, but NOT Catholic), are followers of the SEEDLING. The natives are followers of the FEATHER, as is symbolized by the actual feather and origami cranes. Two conflicting religious views at odds with each other, and the more dominant one triumphs.

Brilliant work. My mind raced with ideas. I love miniature and the entire piece was evocative. I've never seen macrofilmed video before and I love it. I hope you make more films in this macro style.

Do you have plans for more? Great work. I just love it.

Can someone please create a Seedling civ mod? Seems only appropriate.

Alright, I'll go ahead and ask Caballerion: Why do you choose to characterize these concepts as addictions? Capitalism I get, the addiction is to oil in your video. But what do religion and totalitarianism have to do with addiction?

Alright, I'll go ahead and ask Caballerion: Why do you choose to characterize these concepts as addictions? Capitalism I get, the addiction is to oil in your video. But what do religion and totalitarianism have to do with addiction?

Thanks for the question. In short, Religion, capitalism, and totalitarianism are addictions to POWER. With religion, you have addiction to monopolize the afterlife and purpose on earth (which obviously can be used to bend people to your will). Capitalism, while also based on oil addiction, is the addiction to always wanting more and more and more, while people around you get less and less and less. Totalitarianism is the most concrete example of ruthless addiction to power though.

Brilliant work. My mind raced with ideas. I love miniature and the entire piece was evocative. I've never seen macrofilmed video before and I love it. I hope you make more films in this macro style.

Do you have plans for more? Great work. I just love it.

Can someone please create a Seedling civ mod? Seems only appropriate.

:goodjob::goodjob:

Thanks Jatta! If you look here, I just uploaded a new 4 minute video using mostly deleted scenes from SEED STORY: https://vimeo.com/74943004

Dunno if I should watch it... Does it have Gandhi nuking stuff? Bismarck spamming Landsknechts?

I'd love a movie about Gandhi holding a nuclear missile and then hitting it on the ground, causing a mushroom explosion, and then somehow walking away in Badass Movie Fashion without a single scratch on his body.

Top Bottom