My suggestions for coastal cities

eazyseeker

Warlord
Inspired by this and VEM, I would like to suggest a few less.. radical changes to coastal cities.

Wonders rebalancing:
- Great Lighthouse: no longer provides free lighthouse. Instead, +1 :c5food: to water tiles. Effects STACK with Lighthouse.

Buildings rebalancing:
- Harbor: in addition to current effects, provides +1 :c5gold: to water tiles. Effects STACK with Colossus.
- Seaport: in addition to current effects, provides +1 :c5production: to water tiles.

If we somehow manage to get both the Great Lighthouse AND The Colossus in a single city, after Renaissance we can have.. 3 :c5food: / 3 :c5gold: / 1 :c5production: PER water tile.

In any other cities, we would have a base 2 :c5food: / 2:c5gold: / 1 :c5production:. PER water tile.

I feel this is a less radical change than a social policy in commerce that grants +3 gold to ALL water tiles, and rewards users for building up their infrastructure AND buffs the Great Lighthouse and the Colossus.

What do you think?

EDIT: I've just packaged this into a small mod. Download the attachment, put it in My Games/Sid Meiers Civilization V/MODS, and install from mod browser. Activate it, and play the game. :)

Attachments

• Coastal Balance (v 1).civ5mod
    1.2 KB · Views: 57
Sounds cool easyseeker. I really like the great lighthouse change! It was something I was pondering with putting in the commerce tree somewhere but it fits nicely here too. I'll give it a try when I get a chance :).

The potential problem is that it makes coastal cities much better for the civ that gets the Great Lighthouse. If I was playing an island game and I didn't get the Great Lighthouse I'd feel like I should just start over . . .

But I like the general idea. I think I still prefer trying to balance coastal cities in the commerce tree. Forcing players to decide whether or not to 'focus' on genuinely viable coastal cities, rather than giving all players the capacity to build one or two coastal cities that can be made equally as good as commerce policy focussed civilization's coastal cities.

If that makes any sense.

Snuffleupagus:

I see your point but I don't think the great lighthouse is overpowered. There are two comparisons to make here. First compare it against the ToA or the Hanging Gardens. The ToA will grant you quite a bit of free food per city. It works on total food. So that's a lot of food. The hanging gardens is also a fair amount of food, but just in one city. So it's good but it's not a must have. If you miss it, you can always work the regular land tiles.

Speaking of regular land tiles. Consider a plains tile adjacent to a river. It produces 1/1/1 without improvements. 2/1/1 with a farm. 3/1/1 with civil service. That's almost as good right there as a base ocean tile + lighthouse + great lighthouse + harbor + seaport. Just one gold difference. It's a lot of extra effort to get coastal cities up and running so you should get some extra benefit.

On the other point I agree. Something needs to be done with commerce to improve coastal cities too. If these changes here were made, there are some suggestions in the Redoing Merchant Navy thread that would be excellent. Separate they are okay but together they'd be very viable.

Okay, that makes sense with Great Lighthouse.

I think the reason so many of us are frustrated with coastal cities in ciV is that historically they are THE cities. Inland cities aren't even close. The United States is a great example. The non coastal city with the most relevance is built on a lake so large that it basically works like an ocean.

Top Bottom