My take on it

I think ciV has plenty of depth. The problem is not that the game is shallow, it's that the game is tedious. Once you know the spastic AI will war with you randomly, it is never a surprise. Once you know that the AI cannot competently defend itself if you attack them, there is no suspense, no fun. Once you know how to manipulate the CS's and the resource trading, there is no need for even the barest economic infrastructure.

If one plays to win, it's no fun after the first few times because winning is very formulaic, no matter the victory condition chosen. If one plays for immersion/roleplay, it's no fun because the AI breaks the immersion by doing idiotic things.

Civ is meant to be a complete game that works together. Ask yourself if Civ 5 does that, in your opinion.

Solo4114, thank you for that very insightful post. Your thoughts sound pretty accurate to me.

edit:
the AI, with literally no memory at all, hits a cycle of push/retreat.

This is very interesting information as well.

This is very interesting information as well.
CIV AI didn't have much of a memory either. You can argue that in some respect it did; it handled certain diplomatic events similar to how CS influence is managed in CiV. Further, they fudged tactical memory by giving the AI a hidden +2 sight range bonus on all difficulty levels. The AI didn't remember you moved your stack; it could plainly see where your stack was.

What's interesting is that they never implemented such a sight range bonus in CiV, despite having greater need for tactical memory.

Once you know

Once you know, things either become interesting or very boring. People who do very boring things and even go to such lengts to complain on a forum dedicated to the very game they are finding boring... well, it seems just like a huge waste of time to me. Life is too short to be spent on things you find not interesting or satisfying. Talking about it won't make it better.

I gave it another hour and started a new game. Another TSL game this time, again as Rome. I've determined that if you play a TSL game, Rome is basically screwed from the outset, even on a Huge map. You do not have sufficient land to work at the start to get anywhere, and strategically speaking (oh, and TACTICALLY speaking) you can't do squat. I shudder to think how bad the English have it, but frankly lack the patience to find out. Plus, given that the TSL mod doesn't work with an "advanced start" (since you can't actually LOAD the mod), you can't do balanced strategic resources, so you can end up with the strategic resource for your civ's UU located nowhere near you.

And, of course, you can't play the Earth map the game shipped with if you want the civs to start in their ACTUAL locations (which, as mentioned, turns out to be no great loss, apparently, anyway, since the actual start locations can be pretty unbalanced on the Earth map).

I suppose the game may play out better on randomly generated maps, but come on. A Civ game where you can't have an enjoyable game on an Earth map?? Previous Civ games had their issues with Earth maps, but this one just seems severely half-assed.

There are other little things too that I just find irritating and tedious. I HAVE to pick a production project for a city, even if I have no more useful buildings to build and don't WANT to build a unit in that city, or else I can't advance the turn. I end up constructing buildings or units that I don't even care about or particularly want just so that I can click "next turn."

Likewise, I can't advance my turn if an annoying city state has sent some demand that I kill yet another barbarian camp. Kill your own damn camps and leave me alone! Even if I don't open it, I still have to click through it to get to "next turn."

Automated units move at the start of a turn instead of at the end of a turn AFTER you've clicked "next turn." Meaning that I have to catch them before I move all the other units that aren't automated, or the automated ones will just run off and do their thing...whether that's a good thing or not. I noticed this with some automated scouts that I wanted to have attack a barbarian camp. After I'd moved my other units, suddenly my scouts just took off before I'd clicked "next turn."

At the same time, units and buildings take longer to build, while technologies are comparably MUCH faster. It can take the same amount of time to research a whole new technology as it does to train a military unit. In previous Civ games that would've been the result of clever and careful manipulation of your empire and cities, leveraging your commerce and science sliders, but in this game, it just seems like I can crank out new techs in 6-12 turns, while it takes me exactly the same amount of time to train a basic warrior. Just one. And oh, by the way, when you do finally build that one guy, he's the only guy allowed to stand on his tile (unless he's accompanied by a single non-combat unit, which also can't stack with other units of the same type). Yeah, you can't stack your workers to finish projects faster. You HAVE to do it slowly. Maybe I'm misremembering how previous Civ games handled early tech advancement as compared to early unit and building construction, but it seems like the tech moves very very fast, and the units are built very very slowly to start.

Maybe it gets better, but I wouldn't know. Frankly, I got about 120 turns into this most recent game and just got irritated, bored, and quit. Admittedly, I was never a huge fan of the early game in any of the other Civ games, but it still could be worthwhile if you could manage an axe rush, found a religion, build a useful wonder (Oh, and as a former wonder junkie...boy did THIS game cure my addiction. The Pyramids make my workers build 50% faster? Oh be still my beating heart. :rolleyes:)

Civ 5 just seems to me to be this weird mix of design decisions. Some stuff moves much faster in the game than in previous games, while other stuff seems to move a LOT slower. The UI is "streamlined" but simultaneously made more tedious due to the number of "Will you please just *$!#%@ing let me CLICK NEXT TURN, DAMMIT!!" clicks and decisions you have to make before you can advance the game. Combat is supposedly more tactical since you have to maneuver your armies in specific formations so they don't get slaughtered, but the Earth map at least is too small to actually field armies large enough to accomplish your goals. City states in the early game are roadblocks and not-worth-it moneysinks, and I gather in the late game are just farms for diplo votes and resources. The game comes off as a mix of new "features" (which themselves run the gamut from annoying to not really being an improvement but not really breaking anything) and not-enough-new features.

Again, it strikes me as if the game is the combination of a lot of discrete decisions that just weren't particularly well thought through. That suggests to me that this product was rushed out the door and/or was operating on limited resources which were primarily focused on making the graphics pretty and accomplishing a checklist of "features" that had to be added, without regard for how they fit together as a whole game.

And yes, you can mod it to make it better. But you know what? You shouldn't HAVE to mod it to make it better, especially when what you're modding are poorly implemented, poorly thought-out design decisions about the core game. Again, did people here pay for a tech demo and graphics overhaul, or did they pay for a coherent game that's fun to play and worthy of the Civ title? And as has been discussed elsewhere, ask yourself this: if the game had been shipped under a different title altogether, would you say "Wow! Great game!" or would you be saying "Eh, it's ok. Decent effort, I guess, but it's clearly just a knock off of the much better Civ series."

Anyway, on this last game, I got about 120 turns in, got bored, and quit. This seems to be the common trend for me. This has also NEVER happened with a Civ game for me. Other Civ games, even with their tweaks and differences, were able to pull me in on my first playthru. Other similar 4X and strategy games grabbed me right out of the gate, in spite of their imperfections. GalCiv 1 and EU3 both held my attention and made me want to dig deeper. The only thing that makes me want to keep playing Civ 5 is the vain hope that "maybe it gets better," but you know what? My gaming time is too limited to be wasted on games that can't entertain me within the first five hours of play. Five hours into Civ 5 and I'm having to pep-talk myself into clicking "next turn" or firing up a new game. There's just no good reason why that should be the case here. Even with Civ 3, my least favorite of the Civ series up until now, it was still able to grab me and make me play through to the modern era once or twice. With Civ 5, I have to force myself to keep playing, and each time I do, I just ask myself why I bothered after I finally Alt-F4 my way out of the game.

Once you know, things either become interesting or very boring. People who do very boring things and even go to such lengts to complain on a forum dedicated to the very game they are finding boring... well, it seems just like a huge waste of time to me. Life is too short to be spent on things you find not interesting or satisfying. Talking about it won't make it better.

Alternatively, such people may find complaining on the forum more entertaining and satisfying than playing the game itself. What does THAT say?

Talking about it won't make it better.
Not talking about it definitely won't make it better. Talking about it might make it better.

True. Because talking (I like this, I do not like that, that point works good or bad) can share ideas
that people who knows behind the game there is a program (I'm not one of them) can take profit/inspiration to make a game better.

I don't consider Civ a strategy game so I would compair it to something like Sim City. If I were to compair it to a strategy game I would compair it to a paradox game. I think the problem with Civ as a strategy game, is that things are too transparent. Your given all the data you need before you in pretty colors. Most good strategy games are less transparent. Things are less obvious.

Out of curiosity, what difficulty did you play Civ4 on?

I see it less as a question of "is it deeper and/or more complex, or is it simpler and/or more shallow?"

You can have a game that is simple but elegant. You can have a game that is complex, but to no real purpose.

What I see as the problem with Civ 5 is that you have a game which is less COHERENT than previous entries.

Now, admittedly, I've not played all that much. Barely 4 hours. Maybe 5 at most. But I played plenty of Civs 1-4, and have seen the series evolve over time. While not every concept always worked in the past, to me, Civs 1-4 tended to hold together a bit better because there seemed to be an overall sense that what was being added/changed was being done with consideration to how it affected the game as a WHOLE rather than as a discrete system.

To me, based on what I've seen so far, Civ 5 seems to have made substantial changes to various elements of the game, without any real regard for how the pieces fit together as a whole. So we're talking about the depth or shallowness of this or that system, or the complexity or simplicity of such and such game element, when the real issue is how they all fit together as a whole game.

I think that there are very complex elements of Civ 5 that can add a lot of depth to the game...but not in a particularly effective way for the overall game. Case in point: 1UPT. We now have fundamentally tactical combat in a strategic game. Yet at the same time, the map still remains a fundamentally strategic map with VERY limited space. You also have long build times for these units (which would suggest a more strategic focus), but have to use them tactically. The tactical system is deep and complex, but I don't think it works with the rest of the game particularly well.

City-States are another element of gameplay. They are simple and shallow...even though they can (apparently) have a pretty serious effect on the later game. And I'm not sure that they work particularly well as implemented. Certainly in the early game, they are fickle money sinks that offer relatively little benefit for the cost. At least from what I can tell.

We can nitpick this or that system all we want, but the ultimate point is not whether they are simple or complex, deep or shallow, but rather what they add to the game as a whole. I never thought that espionage in Civ 2 was particularly deep or complex, but it added a layer of gameplay to the whole in a way that fit well with the rest of the game AND seemed to have been considered as part of the overall game.

With Civ 5, many of the decisions seem to me to have been more haphazard without regard for their impact on the game as a whole. The most obvious of these is the 1UPT decision, but take a look at the interaction between social policy and city improvements. You can adopt social policies that improve build times, or improve worker productivity, but to what end? What do the buildings actually provide for you and are they all that useful in the first place? You can adopt policies that make your units stronger when next to other units and which give them more XP, but to what end when your map is too small to field a big enough army to do anything worthwhile? You can engage in various diplomatic endeavors (research treaties, open borders, "declarations of friendship" and "denunciations", but to what end if you're essentially still dealing with AIs that have all become psychotic Monty/Toku/Napoleons who will turn on you in a heartbeat? What's the point of all those different options -- which are complex and could be fairly deep -- if the AI can casually disregard them (the same way a player would) and say "Ha ha! NOW YOU DIE, SUCKERS!!!"

As I've said elsewhere, so far the sense that I get is that certain design mandates were issued to the dev team, and they did them all (to greater or lesser degrees) so that they could check them off a list. Animated less-cartoony leaders? Check. Prettier graphics? Check. Got rid of religion and espionage? Check. 1UPT? Check. "Streamlining" to make the game less about min/maxing? Check. Road maintenance to prevent spaghetti networks everywhere? Check. These decisions, however, all seem to be DISCRETE decisions without regard to the impact on the game as a WHOLE.

But not so much time seems to have been spent on the overall impact and how these various discrete changes interact with the game as a whole. The thing that I see happening here with the Civ franchise is that decisions were made to make big and small "tweaks" without regard to WHY (at least beyond "because it's cool" or "because the focus group wants it"). There's less of a sense of direction with the game, less a sense of coherence. There seems to be less of a sense of what the purpose of this or that game mechanic is on the whole, and less of a sense of what these things are supposed to represent in terms of gameplay and what the GAME is supposed to be doing as a whole.

Take the thread on the tech tree and how you now need umpteen bajillion techs to get to railroad...like...acoustics. Huh? Acoustics? I need to know how to build an amphitheater or a guitar or violin in order to make a railroad? Why? What exactly does this tech tree represent anyway? And is THIS approach to it the BEST approach to implementing that? Is the argument that you NEEDED to develop Acoustics in order to develop the Railroad? Or is the argument that developing Acoustics led to other things which made it EASIER to develop the Railroad? In other words, is it an absolute prerequisite, or is it merely beneficial? I'd bet you dollars to donuts that the devs....don't know. Or their answer would be muddled and would evince a general lack of serious consideration. Or they were just tinkering with the tech tree and decided to make it take "more time" to get to certain very important milestones. I have no idea, really. I wonder if they did, though. I mean, why not have the tech system have absolute prerequisites, but also reduce the cost of final discovery because of other "contributory but non-essential" discoveries? Like, I wouldn't say Archery is an absolute prerequisite for Gunpowder, but I can see where what you'd learn FROM an understanding of Archery would come into play in developing firearms.

When you're looking at a particular system or element of the game, forget whether it's complex or simple, deep or shallow, and ask yourself "why is it here, and why is it being implemented THIS way?" I suspect that much of Civ 5 will leave you saying "Beats the hell out of me..." I'd also believe that the devs would give answers that were more focused on discrete outcomes than on holistic game design. IE: "We thought that gunpowder could be beelined too easily, so we made it take longer" or "We hated stacks o' doom and how they made conquest so easy." Those are answers, sure, but they don't suggest an overall concept for the game (at least not to me). They suggest tinkering with PARTS of a game like Microsoft might tinker with the tools provided in an Office release. But Civ is not Office. Office is a collection of tools designed to perform various functions. Civ is meant to be a complete game that works together. Ask yourself if Civ 5 does that, in your opinion.

Though a bit long-winded this is worth reading, as there are a lot of excellent points here. To summarize, key aspects of the CivV were made separately, without regards to how they affected other aspects of the game.

I do not agree that the culture system is deeper in Civ4. I would like that explained better. One of the great things with Civ5 is how you expand 1 tile per time (It's not good enough anymore to expand the culture just 2 times from each city), and how culture has importance for the social policies. It's also a harder choice to prioritze culture with the upkeep for buildings and longer building times. Wonders also gives less culture, so you really need those temples, opera houses and museums.

Oh yessss! Culture victory in civ4 was very deep:
1. build 9 cities.
2. build 27 temples (3 of each religion in 3 cities)
3. build all culture buildings in 3 cities
4. build 3 cathedral-level buildings in 3 cities
5. put slider to max culture
6. build hermitage in lowest culture city
7. build wonders in spare time
8. press enter for as long as it takes (sometimes over a 100 turns)

Deeeeep!

. People who do very boring things and even go to such lengts to complain on a forum dedicated to the very game they are finding boring... well, it seems just like a huge waste of time to me. Life is too short to be spent on things you find not interesting or satisfying. Talking about it won't make it better.

Actually it is a sad state of affairs that I find complaining about civ 5 to be vastly more entertaining than playing it. :crazyeye: And until voicing my opinions about it in relevant threads becomes against the rules at CFC I intend to continue doing so regardless of what you and dale and pawelS think about it.

Oh yessss! Culture victory in civ4 was very deep:
1. build 9 cities.
2. build 27 temples (3 of each religion in 3 cities)
3. build all culture buildings in 3 cities
4. build 3 cathedral-level buildings in 3 cities
5. put slider to max culture
6. build hermitage in lowest culture city
7. build wonders in spare time
8. press enter for as long as it takes (sometimes over a 100 turns)

Deeeeep!

Civ5 is the exact same, except you get to pick policies, starting out with the ones that give you culture, and then you begin completing the tree. Then you get to build a world wonder. Of course to maximise your culture gain you give city states gold, which means choosing policies that boost commerce before the less important ones. Then you build a wonder and win.

There is the illusion of it being Civ5s victory being deeper than Civ4's but really, the depth of both games is about the same.

Top Bottom