My Thoughts After a Sleepless Night!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Bleser, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Bleser

Bleser Prince

So far I am loving Civ V. I was really hoping it would be a "different" game than Civ IV as was Civ IV was to Civ III, and it delivered. Instead of me endlessly babbling, I'll post my pros/cons, and let me know if you agree/disagree!

Pros:

No more road spamming
    Only connect roads to connect your cities and leave the beautiful countryside alone.

Tactical combat
    Not only no stacks of doom, but unit movement/logistics is very important in war - finally!

No technology trading
    Slows the pace a bit but I love no longer having the AI spam techs to each other.

Limited border popping
    Very nice/realistic that the entire continent isn't civilized anymore by 500 BC. Buying tiles is a nice new element to the game which really adds to the "interesting decision" arena.

Resource limitations
    Not being able to construct 1,000 swordsman from one iron is finally here, and works great.

Leader art
    Amazing! Excellent leaders, animations, music, and I love the native tongue of their dialogue with you.

Overall graphics
    DX11 water, shadows, terrain, units - all gorgeous!

MUSIC
    WOW - the mood it delivers (especially war time) and the scores with leaders is far ahead of previous Civ series.

Cons:

River art needs work
    Deltas look like blobs of blue goo in the otherwise gorgeous ocean.

Too easy?
    I played my first game on Prince (neutral) and could go to war with anyone with ease and no fear for my cities. A tad worried about this, but maybe I just need to up the difficulty.

Slow city production
    By 300 AD my capital still didn't have a granary, barracks, etc, and this was on standard game speed. I've read you can buy buildings instead - maybe that is the new Civ V way?

Some graphical glitches
    These will be worked out over time. I finally got my 5870 now running in DX11 @ 1920x1080 with 8xMSAA and 16x AF and it is simply perfect.

Can't wait to play this game for the next 5+ years and all the expansion packs. Sleepless nights and angry wife ahead. :)

2. Mr_Wonka

Mr_Wonka Chieftain

great post man!

I agree with the production, I haven't figured it out yet. But I wonder what its like in epic speed(if they got it).

3. TLF

TLF Prince

Tech Trading.

You can turn that off in Civ4.
    You can have no trading at all or no trading of techs that you haven't researched yourself, so that the AI can't retrade a tech among themselves that you had traded to one of them.

4. Col Kurtz

Col Kurtz Warlord

Those are basically the exact same as my impressions

5. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Yeah, pretty much my impressions.

Production is f'd up on Epic speed. I wish the SDK was out.

6. Interslice

Interslice Chieftain

Production does seem a bit low.
    the default setup seems to prioritize food a lot more than hammers, same with the ai choice of where your border expands to.

7. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Even then, its almost impossible to get units out at a reasonable speed, it seems like.

I think this has a lot to do with the lack of :hammers: bonuses for resources.

8. Johnny Be

Johnny Be Warlord

I've only played the demo, but I also noticed that due to the lack of Prod everything seems "slower" and "small scale".

I reached the 100 turn limit (probably around 1000BC) in Prince and I was the onlyone with 4 cities, but lagging behind in military. I couldn't take out a City-Satate with 5 units!

I guess the first month will be to get the hang of the game and test new strategies.

9. Raider

Raider Warlord

That whole slow prodcution thing is actually a pretty big deal to me. Biginning of Civ4 is exciting because there is just so much going on. You need to expand, make fighting units to combat barbarians, fight early wars, etc. Here I feel like I'm just repeatedly hitting next turn button and moving one warrior around the map for what feels like ever. Really unexciting beginning.

10. Johnny Be

Johnny Be Warlord

:agree:

I think most complaints about how the game is bad are due to this!

11. silentknight111

silentknight111 Warlord

I think for production you're not supposed to build "everything" as in civ IV. That's why buildings have maintenance now. You should be building the ones that fit your strategy. I actually found myself skipping barracks completely, because I was on an island by myself, so wasn't really worried about attack. Instead I built science and culture buildings, and several great wonders. :)

12. brades

brades Warlord

I played my first game on epic speed as that's what i'm accustomed to on civ 4, and yeah the production was abysmal. I think, more than anything, early game I'm used to whipping my population for production. Where is my whip button???

13. nekom

nekom Warlord

I'm used to playing 4 on marathon, I started my first game of 5 in marathon and yeah, it certainly seems slower paced. I'm just into the classical age though, perhaps it gets faster in the later ages.

14. Pyrofox

Pyrofox Chieftain

I'm a little concerned about the difficulty as well. I just owned the Greeks on King on the demo as the Egyptions. I made it really obvious I was going to invade, I expanded towards him, I surrounded his territory with units in preparation of the attack. What does he do? Well apart from telling me to go away a few times, he decides the time is right to attack a city state. I leap to their defense & take Sparta and Athens easilly since despite my army being entirely mounted in the form of War Chariots & Horsemen, all Alex has is warriors & archers.

Still, I'm really loving the demo & can't wait for the full game. Being able to kick ass in 100 turns doesn't mean I'll be able to kick ass throughout the whole game when the AI starts ganging up on me.

15. dannythefool

dannythefool King

My impression from the demo (poor EU player here) is very similar. The one thing I'm not sure about is if it's really too easy. Prince appears to be easier than Noble was in Civ IV. But is that so weird? It's supposed to be the "normal" difficulty, so normal people can win it playing normally, or whatever they normally do. People often having to start on easy difficulty levels in Civ IV if they wanted to enjoy their first few games was a big problem in my opinion, since it really taught you all sorts of wrong behaviours that were later difficult to unlearn...

16. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

Production in the beginning of the game does seem a bit slow also. I can't say too much since I can just play around on the demo for now.

I have faith in Fraxis to make improvements over time as feedback comes in from the formers.

Good review OP!

17. Grotius

Grotius Prince

The original post conforms almost exactly to my experience. I'm loving it too, and I have the same minor reservations -- rivers need work, seems easier on Prince. As the previous poster just said, the difficulty level isn't necessarily a negative; if I win this game, I'll gladly go up a difficulty level.

18. Gnollen

Gnollen Chieftain

Nice comments! I'll chime in with my own pros and cons. These are from a game up to 1300 AD as french on the difficulty just below normal:

PROS:
    - You can see if someone is building a wonder. I had a scout near America’s border and saw pyramids under construction. Likewise, you can see some land improvements under construction. At one point I started building a fort near my border and you can see it under construction. Nice touch.

- I like how pillaging is handled now. The fields burn! Also, they aren’t completely destroyed and can be repaired. I like that.

- In diplomacy, although there are no longer transparent modifiers, you can sorta tell the leaders attitude based on his body language / facial expression. Washington looked pretty PO’ed with me prior to our war.

- Also for diplomacy, there is a transparent attitude for a given leader toward you. I opened the diplomacy screen and it showed Washington as "HOSTILE" to me. I don't need modifiers to tell me he doesn't like me :)

- Love the new UI and how it doesn’t steal focus, but lets you see a list of turn issues to deal with.

- Policy system seems neat although I still kinda suck at acquiring culture, even as the French. I realized later that bigger empires have a higher cap for next policy acquisition. Interesting balance there. So if you’re going for culture win you want to stay smallish?

- I like how the city-states can be the spark that ignites a war. Seems like a fun addition.

- I like buying land although I didn’t need to do it much as the French.

CONS (not many yet):
    - I had similar technical problems that many people had. THe DX11 version wouldn't run at all for me (blank menu screen).

- I honestly do miss the subtle landscape animations from CIV4, like the swaying trees or how you could tell at a glance if citizens where working tiles. Remember the mine-cart animation and the smokestacks on buildings being worked? I guess they did away with the smokestacks so it wouldn't be confused with the pillage effect which I love! I'm sure the game looks better running DX 11.

- All the units are a bit smallish for my tastes, but I likely need to mess with the video resolution to get it to where I like it.

- I didn't like how when I finally went to bed all I could see were tiles I needed to grab.

19. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

I thought the slower production was an intentional feature with civ 5 to make buildings and units mean more.

Maybe teching is too fast if it seems out of whack with the time.

20. Grotius

Grotius Prince

Really? I didn't know that!

One more random thing I like: hotkeys for movement! The numpad key works on my PC. Also, arrow keys allow us to scroll through city-detail screens. I'd been worried these things weren't in, as they're not documented, but there they are. :)