My Unique Powers judgement

I think I proposed something just like that back in Pax Romana testing. This is good save for the problem of overpowering: there is no real caveat. There is very little to limit this power. Remember, most of Rome's cities (in the empire, not in Italy alone) are coastal. It will be very rare that a city will be cut off from trade. All this will achieve is an extremely rich Rome that gets richer the longer it exists without needing to do much to keep this bonus going. This is exactly the kind of idea that the enemies-in-radius concept is supposed to improve upon. Maybe +1:traderoute: and -20% total maintenance in cities without enemies within their radius... I really think making Rome need to keep enemies out is key to getting the right dynamics in. It's not enough to make Rome strong. Rome has to have incentive to strengthen itself in ways similar to those it historically chose.

The problem with this is that, as you are no doubt aware, the Romans were focused on enriching Rome and Roman citizens, not everyone in the empire. The enrichment of non-citizens was seen as a fortunate side effect, but was in no way the goal of the Romans.

I would posit that basing the Roman bonus on trade is probably a silly way of doing things for the premier military power of around six hundred years (yes, I know that Rome was around for twelve hundred years, but it was not a military power for all of them). I would love it if we had Venice and Genoa in the game, as this would be an excellent idea for either of them.

Rome is popularly depicted as having a system in which military conquest, and the resulting booty, powered the incredible imperial war machine. I have a book around here somewhere called The Punic Wars (can't find the bugger right now, or I'd quote from it), which depicts the incredibly organized system the Romans had for pillaging in order to maximize gains from conquering and looting a city. Many cite the halting of further conquest (from necessity, but still) as a major reason for the decline and fall. Hell, I'm almost certain I remember even Gibbon remarking on it, but I can't make a direct cite from there either =/

In any event, the ideal Rome, at least in the eyes of this foo, would have a system which rewards it for conquest, rather than simply rewarding it for being big. Ergo, I would like to suggest the following:

The Power of Triumph (or Conquest, or even Monkey Nuts,I don't care)

1) 3x gold from city conquests
2) +2 happy for five turns in all cities on the same continent after each city conquest3
3) Able to conscript one legion per turn from any city over size five (outdated when legions are)

And then one of these two following powers:

4A)-25% total city maintenance for five turns after each conquest.
4B)+3 exp for three turns for all units produced (allowing your units, with the proper combination of civics and a barracks, to attain rank three from the start)

As you can see, I'm encouraging the Roman player to get out there and kick some ass. I _think_ that these would benefit an aggressive player or ai by providing large infusions of cash to support a big army, and providing happies to offset war weariness and allow some growth. By making them both temporary and contingent on conquest, I've compensated for what I consider to be fairly overpowered advantages. Unlike your suggested model, this will fail to reward someone who plays a peaceful Rome. In addition, providing a free legion every turn to size six cities would encourage the Roman player to build up some cities, rather than using whipping to avoid the need.

I am against penalizing Rome for having enemies inside its borders, for, as The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire makes abundantly clear, the Romans in fact used their massive size to absorb foes with a combination of defense in depth and forward diplomacy. As the empire declined, it became less and less able to project itself beyond its own borders, resulting in deeper and deeper penetrations by enemies. Not the other way around. Penalizing for enemies in the empire would be putting the cart before the horse, in a sense.

In any case, I'm not sure how much is ramble and how much is gold, but I've hopefully got at least a tad of gold in there.

I'd like to offer a final suggestion. Remove a few techs from the ancient era, or bump everyone up a tier. It is 3000BC: agriculture is already established in much of the world. Researching it is redundant and somewhat silly. And requiring that the Incans have the wheel to build roads is downright a-historical.

For one I love the ancient age and would hate to see it removed, but I do see your points in doing so though.

Eh. I'm okay with this idea, but I'm gonna be back with a mega ninja edit when I finish with class to say some more about it. Just wanted to register grudging support.
Please at least post to mention the ninja edit, I don't want to miss it. Or just post it outright.

But but but! Drawing attention to a ninja edit means that the edit was not done by a ninja!

It's a symbolic solution. It's good not because it's exactly like reality; it's good because it creates realistic game dynamics: Rome makes a lot of money as long as it keeps enemies out. Once it can't keep them out anymore, it gets dirt-poor, very fast.

Yeah I fail to understand your answer. As I said there's no reason why the trade route should fall if enemies are outside the borders, and you seem to confirm it here... I understand it's just a game mechanic, but it still should be a little more realistic !

I like the idea of drafting save for one problem: creating an army should not make Roman cities small and unhappy. But if we do give Rome a draft UP, it should allow a lot of drafts per turn and expire when Legionaries obsolete.

I'd say until reaching Middle Age, although it's almost the same thing.

I think I proposed something just like that back in Pax Romana testing. This is good save for the problem of overpowering: there is no real caveat. There is very little to limit this power. Remember, most of Rome's cities (in the empire, not in Italy alone) are coastal. It will be very rare that a city will be cut off from trade. All this will achieve is an extremely rich Rome that gets richer the longer it exists without needing to do much to keep this bonus going. This is exactly the kind of idea that the enemies-in-radius concept is supposed to improve upon. Maybe +1:traderoute: and -20% total maintenance in cities without enemies within their radius... I really think making Rome need to keep enemies out is key to getting the right dynamics in. It's not enough to make Rome strong. Rome has to have incentive to strengthen itself in ways similar to those it historically chose.

Well, first remember that like Aeon said, it was actually the goal of Romans to enrich Rome, and the city was considered as a wonder back then. When France, Spain, etc will spawn, Rome will likely loose many cities.
About ports, since we're talking of the power of viae, the bonus could be awarded only if there is a road connection with Rome, although I'm not sure this is possible.

I'ma give this a wee bump, as I'm shocked that so few people have thoughts about the Roman UP after several posts about how much it sucked.

I can't say for the Roman's, but with regards to drafting as a UP, I would make the Persian UP as an ability to draft mounted units right away.

After some playtesting I have another idea for a Roman UP:

The power of Infrastructure

Everytime a certain technology is researched by Rome all connected Roman cities get these buildings:

- Mathematics: Aqueduct
- Construction: Colloseum
- Code of Laws: Courthouse

Every new founded Roman city gets a barracks as well.

This would have the following effect: Rome can focus on military because most buildings will be constructed automatically. This would also help Roman AI a lot.
Maybe the city Rome should also immedeately get a library and a forge. This would give Rome some more turns.

Any ideas, suggestions on this?

@Surtur Way too poweful! Either
a) not free, but cheaper builidings!
b) free with the condition of city size

And certainly only until start of xy Age (Middle or Rennaissance?).

The idea behind I think is truly brilliant, Rome was famous for founding and administrating cities, city building etc.

At last, this Unique Power would make the second (or so) UHV redundant! I would therefore suggest to change this condition (if this is included) and split up the first (UHV1: conquer Western Empire ; UHV2: conquer Eastern Empire).

mfG mitsho

Maybe it is too powerful but I would test it first and see how it develops. A strong Rome can still be crushed by strong barbarians.

At last, this Unique Power would make the second (or so) UHV redundant! I would therefore suggest to change this condition (if this is included) and split up the first (UHV1: conquer Western Empire ; UHV2: conquer Eastern Empire).

Yes, I think we should change the UHV anyway.

How about the 5 biggest Roman cities, rather than all of them? That would be more balanced. I really like this idea. :)

Romans - The power of infrastructure, 4 movement on roads in stead of 2
Very underpowered. I would have thought some city maintenence bonus would be given to Rome or something but this is quite awful

I find this one reasonable. Romans were well known for engineering good roads, and through the roads foot infantry can conquer the extremes of the empire realistically (one of the HV conditions). I could see giving them something like vanilla organization, or calling their UP Engineering, and giving it a sub-bonus, 'sanitation' (extra benefit from aqueducts--due to bathhouses).

Honor for Japan is reasonable too. Historically they only fought each other until the Industrial era, then they became known for near-sucidal fanatical defense.

Thank you very much :) Please comment ;)

and through the roads foot infantry can conquer the extremes of the empire realistically (one of the HV conditions).

Are you suggesting you send workers to far flung areas near your rivals to build roads before you send the troops?

I find this one reasonable. Romans were well known for engineering good roads, and through the roads foot infantry can conquer the extremes of the empire realistically (one of the HV conditions). I could see giving them something like vanilla organization, or calling their UP Engineering, and giving it a sub-bonus, 'sanitation' (extra benefit from aqueducts--due to bathhouses).

It is reasonable and maybe realistic but it just doesn't help Rome to build an empire. Also don't forget that only roads inside your borders give the speed bonus. You need lots of cities to cover all of the empire with your culture.

I find it helps a lot with taking the Barb cities, flip them through conquest and it's easier to add newly minted legions to your advancing stack of doom on the fringe of your empire.

I tend to rely on the culture slider and Drama(theatre) to spread it out.

It is reasonable and maybe realistic but it just doesn't help Rome to build an empire. Also don't forget that only roads inside your borders give the speed bonus. You need lots of cities to cover all of the empire with your culture.

Are you suggesting you send workers to far flung areas near your rivals to build roads before you send the troops?

No, I get them from capture barb/neighbors cities.

deleted for space

Well I would have no problem to include the road bonus system in the UP I proposed. I still don't think it would be overpowered. Rome needs a strong UP.

But it is a fact that AI takes nearly zero advantage of the current UP and because of this we will never see a Roman AI which comes even close to the historical empire.

How about the 5 biggest Roman cities, rather than all of them? That would be more balanced. I really like this idea. :)

If you make it a one time event with city pop. limit it wouldn't be overpowered. Only the cities currently roman and currently connected in the moment you finish the research would get the building.
But I am not very fond of this idea as it is a cheap way to help Rome without much effort on one part of the UHV goal but still doesn't help with the Empire crumbling on itself due to the vast area that has to be conquered in a short time (in civ terms). Rome will still have problems of commerce, hence of research, hence the UP would probably even fail to kick in. And if you don't rush the conquest then it won't affect many cities since you won't own them.

Top Bottom