My upcoming New Zealand expedition

Had a nose about for live rugby in NZ nothing on that late in NZ, but the the NZ rugby team who play rugby UNION will be playing England in England, it will be on at NOV 29/30th at around 2am in the morning.
Just go to any bar, the English are the pasty white types who attended public schools who will be wearing white jerseys, being public school types they enjoy a damn good thrashing.
This is the All Blacks up close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmM7QeoCP1Y&feature=related

HIRE a locator beacon.
http://www.locatorbeacons.co.nz/

A trick for getting better range for your mobile, get a 1500mm by 1500mm piece of foldable aluminum then turn it into a corner reflector.
Google corner antenna.
Mobile phones here work in the 800MHZ range which is line of sight so get up high for best signal strength.

Had a nose about for live rugby in NZ nothing on that late in NZ, but the the NZ rugby team who play rugby UNION will be playing England in England, it will be on at NOV 29/30th at around 2am in the morning.
Just go to any bar, the English are the pasty white types who attended public schools who will be wearing white jerseys, being public school types they enjoy a damn good thrashing.
This is the All Blacks up close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmM7QeoCP1Y&feature=related

Unfortunately I will be on day 3 of the Milford Track on that day. Are they playing anybody else after that?

$40 for a week? And I can get one in Queenstown? Not bad, not bad

Looks like I'll have to get it for 2 weeks, if I end up doing the Routeburn Track, which I probably will

Thanks!

Unfortunately I will be on day 3 of the Milford Track on that day. Are they playing anybody else after that?

$40 for a week? And I can get one in Queenstown? Not bad, not bad

Looks like I'll have to get it for 2 weeks, if I end up doing the Routeburn Track, which I probably will

Thanks!

No that is the last game, but they will be playing six games in the UK from 10/28 to 11/28 but you may have to try and watch those in the US.
OK Queenstown, exists for removing money from wallets, do not buy any so called Greenstone from gift shops, too much of it is Jade from China, same applies to Arrowtown.
If you are interested in getting any Greenstone objects ring the Maori dept. at one of the universities, they will put you on to the right people.

Read this about our injury cover, http://www.acc.co.nz/making-a-claim/am-i-covered/index.htm?ref=footer
We do NOT charge for rescue services, we have had people hiding from helicopters because they believe they will be whacked with a bill.
Dial 111 for any emergency service.

If you think you are in strife while tramping, turn that beacon on, S &R will get you even if the weather is too bad for a chopper to get in.
And like other countries the biggest danger is in crossing rivers.

Now I have made sure you will go out with every bit of gear known to man, enjoy yourself :D

Sweet, thanks. I wonder if it's Kaiteriteri; it looks amazing.

Could well be, that google hit brings pictures very close to the photo my dad has as his desktop currently!

No that is the last game, but they will be playing six games in the UK from 10/28 to 11/28 but you may have to try and watch those in the US.

Canada ;) (I am flying from Detroit cause it's as close as Toronto, and flying from Toronto is expeeeeensive. Detroit's way cheaper)

Now I have made sure you will go out with every bit of gear known to man, enjoy yourself :D

That locator beacon thingy will really help, I had no idea you could just rent those!

And speaking of gear, my large order from Mountain Equipment Co-op arrived last night :goodjob: The first-aid kit is full of stuff I have no idea how to use, though :crazyeye: There's a syringe in there, and no heroin for example.. I have no idea what I'd need it for.. There are two vials with a black liquidy stuff, but I think that's something alcohol-based for disinfecting wounds, so I don't think they mean for me to inject that stuff into myself. There isn't really a manual either, just a list of all the things inside. There's a lot of stuff, I suppose I should look up every one and check what it's for.

My backpack looks freakin' awesome, too, but one thing I'll need for it is a raincover... which I totally didn't think about when I made my order :( but I suppose I can probably find one somewhere in an outdoorsy type store. Only issue I have is that I might have to have my sleeping pad (thermarest) attached to the side of my backpack, and maybe even my tent on the other side (to counterbalance it).. so.. any raincover is going to have to slip over all of that.

My stove and cooking set is SMALL. it takes up no space at all.. I am testing all of this gear out next weekend (it's a long weekend here, we're going camping).

And speaking of tents, I have heard that upon entry into NZ i will be forced to open up my tent at the airport, and let them inspect it... and if they find any dirt or bugs or whatever, they will either "disinfect it" (whatever that means), or take it away from me. .. so I'm going to have to make sure it's all nice and clean before I leave.. and I do have 6 hours to kill at the airport until my flight to Queenstown, so I this won't really screw up my plans.

but they only care about tents? or will they also be checking my sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc?

Just make sure that the only living thing you bring into the country is yourself and you will be fine. Australia and New Zealand are both very serious about quarantine. The advantage being that we don't get a lot of the diseases, pests and bugs that can be found on the continents.

They will be very intersted in your boots... Make sure they are spotless, mine got quaranteened for a few hours.

It's more where I've been, if it's just England to there, I'll be fine.

Dont bring any fresh food! My friend got a £200 fine on the spot for haunt an apple in her bag without declairing it.... An apple!!!!!

Biosecurity is really important here as we have had various things slip across the borders and get into the rivers etc.

Otago has givin you some good advice. Its summer here at that tme so camping in hte mountains shouldn't be a big deal. 6 hours to kill at Auckland airport would allow you to go into the CBD for a couple of hours. NZD $20 a night ($14 USD, around 9 pounds) is probably a shared room in a backpackers. A twin room with 2 sngle beds in it is around $30 each ($60 total) for the night. Alot of the backpackers have motel like facilities and are quite cheap to stay at. We hired an aprtment at one last year when we were in Christchurch.

The climate/terrain here can kill, but thats usualy for idiots who go camping in the snow unprepared, or tourists who stand under glaciers and get killed by falling ice.

You guys have convinced me to camp out on the Routeburn track instead of staying at the huts. I also watched some videos some guys made of their hike - they camped as well, and didn't seem to have any complaints. Gonna book the campsites in the next couple days :)

How close is the Auckland CBD to the airport?

About half an hour drive depending on the traffic IIRC. Play it safe and double expected travel times. Auckland airport is full of overpriced average food, and crap you don't need.

I'll probably play it safe and stay at the airport then. I mean, I would want to be back an hour before my flight anyway, so that leaves me with 4 hours after you factor in the ride there and back, and 3 hours when you factor in tent/hiking boots inspection time as well as 'unexpected stuff happening' time.

I'll check out Auckland on my way back.. 6 hours at the airport will suck, but.. meh.. Once I get to Queenstown I can find a hotelroom and get some shuteye.. which makes me wonder.. maybe I should book a hotelroom now, so I can 1. save some money 2. not have to look around when i'm really tired and out of it after all the flying?

Do you guys have a hotwire.com type service that lets you find cheap hotels? I figure Queenstown accomodations should be expensive - and I don't want to stay in a shared hostel rooom on my first night - I"m going to want to sleep a LOT.

Alot of those hostels have apartments and indivdual rooms to rent. I had a quick google look and came up with this but I don't know if thats what you're after.

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/

I haven't stayed in a hotel in Auckland so I couldn't recommend one. I can have a ask around from family and firneds and see if they have any to recommend if you like. My sister works at a local information center, and they are in most large towns and all cities. You can book stuff through them and I think its free.

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/i-sites/i-sites_home.cfm

LONELY PLANET! YES! I totally forgot that that's what I had down in Chile & Argentina, and it helped tons.. thanks for the reminder.

But don't bring it with you!! It's such a heavy book, and once you're actually there you'll hardly look at it. Make notes of anything of particular interest and take them. Remember, you can always ask a local! Kiwis are usually pretty friendly. Bear in mind that any tourism/accomodation thing reccomended in Lonely Planet will be overpriced.

btw, for 20 nzd a night, is that for a single room, or bunk beds/shared room?
That's a bunk in a shared room. I'd say it's closer to $30 a night, now.

Swimming with dolphins sounds pretty f'n amazing, how much was that?? Looking at a map, kaikora is a bit out of the way.. I bet the same sort of thing is offered elsewhere.. Will have to do some research.
There are dolphins at Milford (iirc). Dunno if you can swim with them. There is dolphin swimming in the bay of islands, though, and possibly the hauraki gulf.

Heh.. well, what age students are we talking about here? ;)
From what I've heard, x base is very large and impersonal. I've always prefered staying in smaller hostels as you get to actually meet the other guests. Also, smaller hostels generally have smaller rooms, which means less disturbance in the night.
(as an aside, smaller hostels also offer more chance of a bit of privacy ;) )

Christchurch wouldn't work for me.. but I wil be in Wellington and Auckland, so maybe there'll be a game there? I tried looking up the nz rugby league, but it was a bit confusing cause of the whole rugby union vs rugby league thing. I just want a page with the main nz rugby league so I can look up the schedule! Maybe I just wasn't searching hard enough
There won't be much rugby being played in NZ in november - it's a winter sport after all ;). You could check out a cricket game, but if you do look for a "Twenty20" format game - it's shorter and more exciting. Other forms of cricket are too boring for the uninitiated.

warpus, you mentioned the Tongariro national park hike.
During my time, we got a tour organizer to drop us at the base of Ruapehu and Ngauruhoe for the one day hike. Climbing Ngauruhoe was optional, but worth the little extra effort in my mind. It's not that long an extra hike (maybe 1 hour?).

After that you pass emerald lake etc. In the end. they pick you up on the other side of the park and bring you back where you all started (some sort of resort iirc). You can leave your backpack behind. At my time, we actually stayed in Ohakune, a very peaceful nice town during summer.

And best of all, one day the weather was so brilliant, I was able to see Ruapehu and Taranaki at the same time from there in the evening light.

But don't bring it with you!! It's such a heavy book, and once you're actually there you'll hardly look at it. Make notes of anything of particular interest and take them. Remember, you can always ask a local! Kiwis are usually pretty friendly. Bear in mind that any tourism/accomodation thing reccomended in Lonely Planet will be overpriced.

Are you sure? When we were in Chile, the lonely planet guide provided a range of suggestions, ranging from cheap to expensive. I also remember what we did now: Instead of bringing the whole guide we bought individual chapters in pdf form - and then printed those off.

Speaking of friendly Kiwis.. Are there any local customs that I should be aware of that might insult you guys? :scan: For example, when I was in Argentina, I was told not to refer to the Falkland Islands by that name.. I suppose if Kiwis are as friendly and easy going as Canadians I should be fine enough :)

There won't be much rugby being played in NZ in november - it's a winter sport after all ;). You could check out a cricket game, but if you do look for a "Twenty20" format game - it's shorter and more exciting. Other forms of cricket are too boring for the uninitiated.

I absolutely know nothing about cricket, except that there's "batsmen", and I only remember that cause I was on the bbc sports page looking for football news, and I thought I saw a story about "batman". Anyway, I will look into it, thanks, would be interesting!

Therat said:
During my time, we got a tour organizer to drop us at the base of Ruapehu and Ngauruhoe for the one day hike. Climbing Ngauruhoe was optional, but worth the little extra effort in my mind. It's not that long an extra hike (maybe 1 hour?).

When you say tour organizer, was this an organized hiking tour that you had to follow? I prefer doing my own thing, but would still like to be dropped off where you were, and then driven there afterwards. I wonder what my options are.

It was straight forward, they picked us up (where we parked our car), then dropped us off at the start of the track, gave us some pointers and stuff and then picked us up at the end of the trip.
In between we could do whatever we wanted, which was great.

You can't offend a kiwi, very laid back, friendly people.

That's good to hear! how about "How come the all blacks are all white?", would that offend anyone?

I've been doing more research and I want to do the following two things:
- scenic flyover of mount cook/glaciers with http://www.airsafaris.co.nz/ - $290, good deal, right?
- jetboat! with http://www.shotoverjet.co.nz/ , in queenstown (i think it's a 20 min drive, how do i get there?) seems like a lot of fun though
- a slice of paradise boat cruise/hike with http://aquataxi.co.nz/trips/slice-of-paradise - from kaiteriteri, through abel tasman park

are any of these a ripoff/not worth it/etc.?

shotover runs out from queenstown, they will busyou there for free (same with all the xtreme things to do)

You HAVE to cruise the Milford Sound.
You HAVE to swim with dolphins at Kaikora.

There is so much amazing geography.. i don't think you need to fly over it.. its everywhere.. but then again, ive only jumped out of planes :)

EVERYTHING in NZ is expensive. Everything that is connected with Tourism, Gap "Yah" Students, and "You've just driven to this spot for this alone so we can rapecharge you"

You have to just accept that things will be costly, accept this a "once in a life time" and money is only money.

While travelling myself and my friend would ironically joke that the favorite pastime of a Kiwi was to (economically) rape tourists.

Getting off the Tourist trap, just walking through NZ's jungles and nature, is FREE.

Top Bottom