Mycomputer thinks i bought a boot-legged copy

edtorockio

Chieftain
Can anyone help me with this.... 3 out of 4 times i try to start colonization i get this message

Please insert the original disc instead of a backup (4002).

Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=copy&c=4002 for further, more detailed information.

I just got this game from best buy and i'm starting to get really upset. I have no problems with any other games, 2k or otherwise... ive tried cleaning the disc, deinstalling and reinstalling colonization and nothing.... It wouldnt bother me so much except i want to play a mod and obviously the game has to restart for that, but i keep getting this message...

HELP!

Im ready to take the game back and see if they will echange it for another copy

Im ready to take the game back and see if they will echange it for another copy

That is probably your best bet. Also, if you go into My Documents/Civilization IV: Colonization/CivilizationIV.ini, you can set it so it automatically loads a mod at startup, so it doesn't have to reboot. You do this by finding the Mod directory and replacing "Mod = 0" with "Mod = Mods/NameOfMod"

It's the copy protection looking at your cdrom drivers / devices. The new SecuROM's flag VCD program's and reject either installation or running based on detecting them. Farstone's get hit every now and then. That's the one I use. If you have one installed, that would be the first likely issue. Returning it and getting another copy won't have any effect on this issue. Other issues like this in the past are really really hold cdrom rom's. Never flashed an update to one system, as I had purchased another system and ran the program ok on that one. Likewise the prioritization (sp) of the order of cdrom's sometimes triggers that type of message. Certain older SecuROM's type scanning require your physical cdrom preceeding any VCD's.

I get this a lot too! I tried everything on securom's site including checking to see that I had the latest drivers and I still get kicked off. I quit playing this game a long time ago because of this. Now I hear that Civ5 is giong to have similar copy protection! Arrg!

Now I hear that Civ5 is giong to have similar copy protection! Arrg!
Civ 5 will use steam which is totally not like this and will avoid having to have discs in the drive at all.

Have any of you tried sending off the analysis file as suggested in the error message?

Top Bottom