1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Myspace vs Facebook

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nc-1701, Nov 28, 2007.

?

Myspace or Facebook?

1. I use and like both Myspace and Facebook

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. I prefer Myspace

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. I prefer Facebook

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  4. I dislike/don't use either

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

I have had a Myspace since last spring, at the pleading of a few friends I just got a Facebook a few days ago.

Comparing them I'm not sure what I think. Myspace is much easier to use, and talking to people on it seems way more intuitive. But Facebook has all these cool application things! I got this thing where I'm a Ninja and I kill losers who are pirates by clicking and taking there gold earning me xp!

So do you have either of these? How do you think they compare to each other?

Poll coming...

2. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

They both suck.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Pretty much. Facebook was ok when it was only open to university students, it's a wreck now.

4. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

Agreed. Myspace is a mess. And as for facebook, any site that asks for your personal e-mail password is a non-starter in my opinion. Both are tools of marketing agencies to glean as much consumer data as they can off of you at no cost to them. If they pay me to open an account I might consider it.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Myspace pages are mostly ugly, which is why avoid them. The music that starts playing once you enter a page, doesn't help at all.

Facebook is a decent way to stay in touch with people.

6. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

myspace attracts the lowest common denominator and facebook has now opened the door to them.

7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I use MySpace to keep up with a few select people. I have a blog there, and post sporadically; it was nice this past summer to receive a Happy Birthday message from a complete stranger who happened to be passing by, noticed it was my birthday, and sent me a message. :)

The pages that have music blaring the moment you click on them are ANNOYING, and I avoid them. People, the "automatic" music is not appreciated.

I also have FaceBook, but don't use it much. I've had a couple of messages lately about a friend having written on my "wall" -- FunWall, SuperWall, or whatever... actually, I would rather they just send me an email and let me know how things have been going.

8. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

Agreed. I skipped that step, no way I'm giving out my E-mail password...

Though I only use them to keep in touch with people I know from real life. So I don't really worry about them "being a wreck"...

9. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

I've never used either of them, although Facebook seems to be a convenient way to look at photos friends have taken.

Not sure if both have that capability...

Anyway, I prefer to remain anonymous by posting all my personal data on CFC.

10. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Why not use AOL? :old:

11. Stewbert 08

Stewbert 08 Prince

Yup.

MySpace = for perverts.

Facebook = anyone who isn't in a college network should be considered a pervert until proven innocent.

12. Stewbert 08

Stewbert 08 Prince

AOL = for people who don't know how to use computers.

I can go on :mischief:

13. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

Myspace is only good for artists and groups. facebook? never heard of it.

14. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Why not visit your friends? Or call them? If I want to talk to someone badly enough, or they want to talk to me, we'll make the effort to pick up the phone. I don't mind losing touch with someone that isn't worth that effort.

15. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

By and large, you're right. So are Macs. Since the mid-90s, anyway. My AOL account goes back to 1992. ;)

You've got it the wrong way: you don't join AOL (or Myspace or Facebook) to talk to friends, you join AOL to make friends, and then you visit them. And in my case, marry them. :D

16. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Pretty much. With myspace, you never know who someone is. Everyone uses fake names, it's all one big network so you have no clue if they even go to your school, etc. Plus the automatic music - most people have rather awful music choices (though I was introduced to some of my now-favorite music through two people's profile music, so it's not all bad). If it weren't so sensationalist and fake and all, it would be all right...but it is.

Facebook is going that way, too. I don't have a problem with high-school networks - after all, most college students (except perhaps seniors) still have some friends in high school - but I'm more iffy about the public at large. I generally distrust anyone whose primary network is not a high school or college network.

The applications is the other major feature I dislike. It makes Facebook as customizable as myspace. Not only does it take away the uniformity that gave Facebook its appeal, but if you allow an application, it gains rights to your profile information - meaning you're giving someone you don't know your data. It's one thing to post information on Facebook, but entirely another to allow strangers or outside companies access to that information. Not cool. I'm sticking with the pre-May 26th form of no applications.

I'm also against the new "Beacon" purchase-tracking system. It just seems far too invasive. But as I don't purchase online, I'm not worried too much about it, yet. It's still new enough that it may well be reversed.

For the time being, I'm sticking with the "classic" Facebook. It's still much less sensationalist than Myspace, people use real names, and despite the recent changes, I'm still much more confident in its privacy features.

Distance is the answer to the first question - I visit home as often as possible, but that's not all that often. Calling on the phone is a good solution that I use occassionally - sometimes a conversation will even switch from IM to phone - but with a limited number of minutes and means to finance more minutes, it's more feasible to communicate frequently over the Internet and occassionally over the phone. Both have their place.

How many friends did you meet over AOL? :mischief:

17. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

I only have a hi5 account. Im not bothered much with it, i made one only because everyone has one.

18. Aiken Drumn

Aiken Drumn Chieftain

Facebook is the best since it is less spammy

19. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with my friends that moved out of town to go to college. Never used Myspace, as it looks like crap. Full of spammers, pervs, all the like. Just horrendous looking.

20. Stolen Rutters

Stolen Rutters Deity

I started a myspace page, 'cause it was the easiest way to start a blog for my friends. (Not too interested in a public blog, not until my writing skills improve.) ;)

I haven't tried facebook.

edit- and I keep my friend list to actual people I know, so I haven't had this problem of not knowing who is who. If I want to actually get hold of someone, I'll just call or email.

edit2- (and you can disable autoplay music in the options, IIRC.)