1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

N. Am. w/ Stonehenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by King Younk, May 27, 2020.

1. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Hey all,

I'm currently playing SB on Emperor. I beelined Stonehenge so I can have totem poles in every city (and will have easily upgraded Longbows for easier defense) and am currently working on blocking off a chunk of land with hill cities as the borders for extremely strong defenses until gunpowder. I have a lot of jungle, and know that I need to cottage spam like crazy once I get it removed, so I guess my question is how I should approach this game from here.

I'm thinking building about 20 workers, sending each worker to build roads (one per square to avoid wasted turns) over the jungle, then research Iron Working and hack the jungles down in 1 or 2 turns in order to save time.

What do you think of that plan?

Also, how many cities should I build for the forseeable future? I'm thinking that I will just infill the jungle between Cahokia and my far-east city.

upload_2020-5-27_15-47-15.png

Attached Files:

2. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

I don't see Stone so I assume you don't have it. I would have loved to build the Pyramids with a Philosophical leader. Rep would also help you a lot with happiness. Your happy cap is very low so think of a way to address that.

3. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

Oh he definitely has Stonehenge, just check out that minimap.

Your GDP is 8. Cities have maintenance, as do units once you exceed however many freebies you get. You've expanded well beyond what you can afford. Settling cities in the jungle before you have IW is a mistake, unless you're like boxing the AI out of crucial land.

4. dankok8

I was talking about Stone so he can build the 'mids...

5. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

True. and inb4 someone says his GDP is 12 ^^

6. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

I'll be getting IW soonish (I think), probably once I get the next great leader. After that, i can take out the jungles in 1 turn, and build a cottage in one turn, meaning I can clear out all this land in under 100-200 turns. I think after that point I'll get flying along with a cottage economy. It's not ideal for a Philosophical leader, but it's what I got.

Then I can focus on conquest of the religious minorities.

Since I have a low happiness cap and can only really run a cottage economy at this point, I'm going to build more, smaller cities.

upload_2020-5-27_16-44-8.png

I think once I hit the Middle Ages, and have all my land developed (which should be pretty quickly, due to my one worker per tile road building strategy), I think I will be able to start flying along. I have good relations with most other leaders, and basically all in my religious block, and they are leaders.

I also have the most land of any civ, so that means more cottages worked.

For the next 300 turns, I will be focusing on...

1) Getting IW
    2) building as many cities as possible (on top of remnant jungle to save turns)
    3) cottage spamming within
    4)building walls in my border cities
    5) After all of this, getting Feudalism and Longbows, so I can defend myself easily.

What say y'all to that strategy?

Attached Files:

7. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

:banana::rotfl::banana:

drewisfat, dankok8 and lymond like this.
  8. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

upload_2020-5-27_17-2-6.png

I know it's not the most recent update, but all of my land has a road on it, and I've grouped my workers into groups of 3, 4 or 6 so they can efficiently chop the jungle and then build a cottage, farm or mine. The numbers I have...

3 workers = 4 turns chop = 4 turns cottage = 5 turns farm
    4 workers = 3 turns chop = 3 turns cottage = 4 turns farm (+1 worker)
    6 workers = 2 turns chop = 2 turns cottage = 3 turns farm (+3 worker).

Which is most efficient, do you think? I will probably try for 3 or 4 workers, until the majority of my workers are in the east/central grassland, so that I can cottage spam more efficiently.

Attached Files:

9. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

I think my strategy will pay off, though I need a Great Person farm still.

upload_2020-5-27_17-39-34.png

I have a lot of land, and it will all be completely improved soon. I'm also creating density in my cities, meaning that most cottages have 2 or 3 cities working on them.

upload_2020-5-27_17-40-35.png

What do y'all think I should do as far as tech? I'm pretty lacking here.

upload_2020-5-27_17-41-14.png

upload_2020-5-27_17-41-43.png

I'm thinking CoL or Feudalism for trade.

Attached Files:

10. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

11. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Ok, I know I'm not waiting for your advice, but this is still amusing and interesting to me.

I have completely cleaned out and cottaged/farmed all of my land, and have a GG in my capital as a result of Monty's continued aggression.

Once I have Monarchy, I'm going to be able to support a massive army and really start to fly, I think. Maybe I should try to vassalize Monty asap?

upload_2020-5-27_18-35-12.png

Attached Files:

12. dankok8

Small cities are a recipe for disaster. That was one of the hard learned lessons for me that raising the happy cap is one of the biggest goals in the early game.

sampsa likes this.
  13. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Sad news about my "Sitting Bull with Stonehenge and super archers everywhere" strategy. Monty prolly gonna end it soonish. I needed more money, and didn't capitlize on the philosophical trait (mostly because I never saw an opportunity.

Anyone want to do an autopsy?

upload_2020-5-27_19-56-32.png

Attached Files:

14. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

How are they a disaster? I thought some smaller cities to focus on commerce would be good.

I'm not sure this was a terrible game, despite the results. I like how I found my limits in the early game, and was able to box out a large swath of land, and then turn that land to something productive in as efficient a manner as possible.

Oh where did I go wrong?

15. dankok8

Small cities are bad because they cost maintenance but produce too little to pay for themselves.

Another thing I learned is that generally building Wealth and raising the slider is better than building Research because you have Libraries early on which are 25% multipliers for beaker but you have nothing similar for gold. Of course you need Currency to build Wealth.

Holy you built lots of roads!

16. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

1. You seem to be having a lot of fun, and I love the little tidbits like circling your financial district.
    2. You waited WAY too long to research writing. That should have come long before iron working. Your philosophical, you don't necessarily "need" a GP farm in the early portions of the game. You just needed to research writing so you could start running two scientists. Writing should basically come right after your food techs and mining/bronze.
    3. Unless your playing for a culture victory, you really shouldn't be counting on winning defensively; vis-a-vis don't worry too much about building walls in your outer cities. I guess I can see the appeal since you had Monty near you, but you're probably better off just having him suicide most of his units onto archers or longbows on a forested hill.
    4. Smaller cities are okay in certain situations (like helping the capital grow cottages). Beyond that, as was mentioned upthread, cities are costly, and unless you are running a GLH economy or something, more small cities is usually less desirable. I usually have a couple of cities share a few tiles, but the days of ICS from CIV 3 have been six feet under for about 15 years now.
    5. Take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt, I think you play a higher difficulty than me.

17. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

I ran out of stuff to do, so I built roads (only 1 worker at a time so I don't waste worker-turns) over the jungle which I would later chop in stacks of 4 or 6 or so. This way, I can get the cottages up sooner.

18. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

2. I did IW so I could maximize my commerce. I was hurting for gold at the time.
    3. I'm not sure how I'll win, or if it's salvageable.
    4. What is ICS though?
    5. Aw shucks, I just started playing Emperor.

19. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

upload_2020-5-27_20-33-40.png Alright, scratch that. I'm playing Boudica now. I will focus on early finances, and probably only build one or two Duns (in my military unit cities, and also prioritize writing this time. I will also start by building 2 or 3 scouts, since I'm Hunting. I think people underappreciate that benefit from hunting - a few extra scouts early can be the difference between more gold or a new technology.

Attached Files:

20. FlyinJohnnyL

FlyinJohnnyL You need more workers....

2. I get that, but you could have probably researched IW a lot quicker if you had been able to run scientists. With 6 cities, I'm sure you were hurting for commerce. You can still research at 0% with scientists. They aren't great without rep, but they'll help you limp to currency, which is your most important tech if you're gonna found 5 or 6 cities early and fast.
    3. I didn't open your save, but I'm betting someone here could probably salvage it. I'd need to look at the save to really see what's going on under the hood, though.
    4. ICS=Infinite City Sprawl. The name of the game in civ 3 was to just cram as many cities as close together as possible. You'd have an insane amount of corruption, but it didn't matter.
    5. In that case, we're on the same level then. I used to win reliably on Monarch. And to be perfectly honest, I'm probably knowledgeable enough to win on Emperor too, but I have an awful case of not being able to hang with games long enough to know. If I play a game for a couple of hours and then try to come back to it later, I almost always just end up quitting and starting a new game. It's debilitating, and I'm not quite sure how to break the habit. Before I had kids, I was able to play an entire game in one sitting. That's just not feasible these days, although I'm dying to actually get to Riflemen!