1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

N. Korea Warns of 'Merciless' Nuclear Offensive

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by boogaboo, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Still awaiting any actual facts to support your opinion...

You seem to be under the impression that anybody who disagrees with your own opinions is being "irrelevant". You should not be under this impression.

And as usual, you continue to engage in absurd ad hominems such as this instead of even trying to address the issues. This lesson was provided to you free of charge :)

2. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

I'm not entirely sure that's the case for three reasons:

First, since the two Koreas have different transmission standards, I don't believe that it's technically possible to receive signals transmitted from each others' borders unless they have stations set up in that format. (Allegedly, North Korea runs a propaganda station in South Korea's format in order for people in the South to receive it.)

Second, North Korean telecommunications equipment, before it is sold, is modified to exclusively pick up government-approved stations.

Third, North Korea also regularly jams broadcasts coming in from outside of its country.

3. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

I don´t presume that North Korea is in any way equivalent in quality to US forces, but I think it is wise not to underestimate an enemy we know little about. I´ve heard western military analysts say that if a war broke out, USA and S Korea would win, but that it would be a hard and bloody affair with estimated 100,000 dead.

4. ZB2

ZB2 New wave Ideology

If, and I really doubt, North Korea used a nuclear weapon in battle, it would be a show of greater character NOT to use one in return.

5. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

I find it quite hard to believe that NK would actually make the first move in any conflict. The Dear Leader isn't stupid. These are empty threats to an extent, the kind we have seen many times (except this time his words are backed with nuclear weapons, supposedly). However if the Dear Leader felt that his life of luxury was about to be brought to an abrupt end, then I can see that he might want to cause as much damage as possible in his death-throes of power. The maximum damage he could do, then, is probably to destroy Tokyo. I'm not saying he could definitely achieve this now, but soon he will have the capacity for a fairly reliable delivery system that could do this. If he could reliably reach further then the only target would be the western US, but that would require significant advancement from his current position.

6. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Let me quote it again for you, perhpas the third time will be a charm:

"The ground forces seldom retire old models of weapons and tend to maintain a large equipment stock, keeping old models along with upgraded ones in the active force or in reserve."

You are cute when you are clueless. Please find a Sherman serving along side our Abrahms in our active units. How about a Pershing? How about a Patton??? A Sheridan?!?

You don't actually disagree with me Form, you are just being obtuse because it pains you that your NK heros are backwards. You know damn well the NK miliary is crap. You are irrelevant because what you said is irrelevant, just like everything you have said in this thread since :)

You should look up the term ad hominem, you are doing it wrong :(

7. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

I have no doubt that NK would suffer that many casualties :)

The stickler for casualties is Seoul, and that depends on a great many things.

8. Formaldehyde

You really do make it too easy:

Compared to the US? Obviously. But they are hardly as backwards as you just tried to portray them. And which you still haven't provided any corroboration whatsoever for you wacky allegation.

Still waiting...

Ironically, it would apppear that you are the one suffering from that particular malady...

I don't think anybody actually cares what your opinion of "irrelevancy" is anymore. I certainly don't. You broke that ad hominem record long ago. Try addressing the issues for a change.

Are you actually going to try to claim this isn't an ad homimen?

I just love irony, don't you?

9. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

The allegation was purposeful exaggeration, which I stated already. I then quoted it again for people like yourself who routinely fail to RTFT :)

Here is another free lesson. I could say you have the brain of an amoeba (just an example mind you!). While this is obviously not precisely true since you can operate a computer (though you could still be a bot, which is still very much a possibility), were I to say such a thing the purpose of the comment would be readily apparent to everyone with the exception or probably yourself. This literary device has a name, doubtless one that excapes you.

So, in summary, add exaggeration to your list of words to research:

Irony
    Relevance
    Ad Hominem
    Strawman
    Exaggeration

:)

Of course, words have meanings Form, and though you do it quite often it is not acceptable for you to just make up your own when the English language fails you :D

I know you are oblivious to this because you so obviously have no idea what irony means, but the irony of you misusing irony is deliciously ironic! :yumyum:

10. ZB2

ZB2 New wave Ideology

Do keep the insults few and far between, it makes for an awkward reading otherwise.

It's silly to claim the quality of North Koreas military when the only people likely to know it work in Langley or Beijing, and probably don't post on this forum!

All else is assumptions based on TV documentaries or aged case studies from the Korean War.

11. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

LOL! Nobody wants to wipe North Korea off the map. This isn't a computer game. The only extremist I see is you taking an extreme stance like "wiping countries off the map". Any honest person would be concerned about the security of countries like South Korea and Japan within North Korea's striking zone. North Korea's actions can only lead to death and destruction in the region.

12. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

With the aggressive and arrogant American jingoism displayed here by some participants, it is hard not beginning to root for the North Korean underdogs. :rolleyes:

13. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I agree. People can speculate all they want, thats what the board is for, but it really bugs me when people here insinuate they "know" this stuff. They dont know, and everyone knows they dont know. they suspect.

14. ZB2

ZB2 New wave Ideology

Haha, well we all love a good underdog story anyway!

15. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Yeah, I sure hope the dozens of millions of freedom loving, prosperous and generally peaceful people of SK suffer under the dystopian nightmare that is NK too! Oh, wait a minute, what?!?

Also, there has been no American jingoism displayed here. Plenty of the opposite from From though.

16. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Well have you feeling that what hes now doing is rational? I havent. He should ask for international help or gain respect by thousands better ways, many authoritarian regimes do it and democracies are giving them millions. Even last allies as China are puzzled by this. It would have some point if he would want mobilize population, but hardly should be any other population in the world more isolated from foreign thoughs than N.Koreans.

17. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
  18. Formaldehyde

O RLY?

Then there are those, such as yourself, who merely imply that is what should be done:

So do you still think my contention is baseless?

No, it's yet another ad hominem...

Am I concerned? Sure. Am I any more concerned before NK had a viable means of actually discouraging people from invading their sovereign country? Not really. I think they have as much right to defend themselves as any other country does. They have been directly threatened by the GWB regime for years. Who can possibly blame them?

This is where we basically disagree. I think it was GWB's actions that led to potential death and destruction in the region. NK is merely responding in a logical and predicatble manner to these threats. If I were Kim Jong Il, I would have likely tried to do exactly the same thing, and I bet most of the people who proclaim how evil they are would as well.

19. Aegis

Aegis Deity

No one in power, Form.

20. Formaldehyde

I never claimed they were, at least now that GWB and the neocons are no longer in office:

But I think we are now paying for that legacy of posturing for years against the so-called "Axis of Evil." As usual, it's all about blowback.