1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Najaf safe, but is Falluja aiming for a comeback

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vonork, Aug 28, 2004.

1. vonork

vonork Emperor

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/international/middleeast/29province.htm

Several pages if you follow the link...

2. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Dont be too alarmed the US have a good 1.5 - 2 years before the insurgents start to become an effective fighting force. (If Afganistan is anything to go by)

This is really the turning point.

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Educated Redneck

Time to do some carpet bombing.

4. Azadre

Azadre One more turn...

Why exactly? We are fighting FOR Iraqis, not against them. Unless...

5. Sanaz

Sanaz Gorilla Joe

Yes, because the new "free" Iraq needs their infrastructure destroyed even more, so the US can again fail to fix it as promised. What a sad joke this whole thing is. Is there still anyone who thinks this Iraq occupation was a good thing? Things aren't going to get better, only worse.

6. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

"American plans to build a secular democracy"

Unless the people of Iraq choose a secular government, it can in no way be democratic.

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

From what I've heard, somebody in Washington(Either its Whitehouse-based or Congress-Based) have kept the military in restraint. Like Vietnam, our efforts in Iraq are useless because politics has entered the war.

Let the Generals command the troops, not the politians.

8. Azadre

Azadre One more turn...

How would the Generals do it differently?/Would the Generals have even went in?

9. Sword_Of_Geddon

I don't know, I'm not a military person. They'd be fighting to win though, and political considerations would fall by the wayside.

10. zjl56

zjl56 Emperor

This Sadr guy is really just trying to get power. If he really wanted to help the Iraqi people he would just run in the election. But he just had to go around and start a rebellion that is threatening the government of Iraq.

11. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

An election that the American's wouldn't let him have any chance in?

12. Sword_Of_Geddon

because hes killed our soldiers...no. If the soldiers were aloud to do their job Sadr would be dead.

13. Sanaz

Sanaz Gorilla Joe

And this is the problem with starting a war of occupation with no clear goal, and no clear definition of "winning". If the US were imperialistic in the traditional sense, they would have taken over and installed their own government, controlled the economic, and had a plan for assimilation to the US. Since that wasn't the stated goal, and because of politics far outside the borders of Iraq, the US can't do that. The stated goal was to make Iraq free and safe, and that has failed completely. To do that, the military people suggested a much larger presence. This was rejected by the civilian leadership (Rumsfeld and company). The fact that Rumsfeld has a job and has been complimented by Bush says a lot about this administration and it's actual goals.

A democracy in Iraq would probably be a Shia government, not Sunni, but the US won't allow that. The US can not help create a true 'democracy" in Iraq, because it would probably not be US friendly. Imagine a united Iraq and Iran? That would ruin the careers of many American politicians.:) They probably realize now that they really didn't want a free Iraq after all, and should have called their little war game something different than "operation Iraqi freedom". This lying to the troops and the American people is why I consider Bush and company guilty of war crimes and treason. But again, I am extreme in my beliefs that what Bush and his boys have done is not a minor mistake, but is a calculated plan to set America down an irreversible path (which I strongly oppose). Bush may be a dope, but his advisory team is extremely intelligent.

14. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Educated Redneck

At this point i don't care if we just blow the hell out of cities filled with insurgents. God knows we're not gonna win the hearts and minds of the majority of Iraqis, might as well make them too afraid to harbor/aid insurgents when we call down strikes on sympathizers homes/neighborhoods.

15. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

You may as well just paint a big bullseye on the Sears Tower with the words "terrorists: hit here"

16. Sanaz

Sanaz Gorilla Joe

Then why is the US there at all? If our soldiers aren't fighting and dying for a good purpose, why bother? If civilians are killed to "teach them a lesson", that is the most horrible reason. They'd be better off with Hussein.

17. rilnator

rilnator Emperor

Good idea! You can start with Washington, then New York, Chicago, Boston.............oh bugger it! Any order will do.

18. rilnator

rilnator Emperor

You should be on the general staff! I mean that plan obviously worked in Vietnam, so use it again!