Name 3 modern day leaders that you would include in Civ 6

Morocco could get Hassan II, depending on when you want the cutoff point for the leader's death (1999). It could also get his dad, Mohammed V.

Wouldn't argue with Castro or Mandela. But is Cuba a civ which "starts" too late in history (hope that's not insulting?!) Likewise the rest of Latin/South America - maybe it would be just too odd for them to settle in 4000 BC. USA is quite odd in that way too though to be honest :D

Would Mandela join the Zulu nation with Shaka or would he have to be South Africa? If so that's another "new" country.

What about Aussies? I think the aborigines settled there pretty early and we have Native Americans.

Spain could do with a more up-to-date leader than Izzy - was Franco too much of a bad-guy to be included? Also Japan - Hirohito saw plenty of ups and downs for his country - maybe he'd be good. A more modern Dutch leader? I have no idea.

What other nations are famous/big/"important" enough to add in? Poland? Italy but then we'd have to lose Rome. Likewise Turkey/Ottomans. Pakistan? Iran? Loads I guess. Could we pretend Al-Qaeda was a country and have Osama?!

A lot of the famous nations already have a fairly modern leader, at least in Civ 4. Presumably they'd have to lose one to gain one. For Russia Putin is surely a joke, Gorby helped bring down the wall so there's a case for replacing Stalin. Germany I could see Kohl rather than Merkel. Actually you might even make a case for Kohl as the founder of the European Union and have that as a "nation".

Ok that's definitely more than 3 - I should shut up now :p

Never has there been a living leader in the Civilization franchise. So Putin, Kim Jung-un, Obama, and Castro are highly unlikely.

1. United Kingdom under Margaret Thatcher
UA- Thatcherite Morality: Each City Generates +1 Faith. Unit and Building purchases are 25% discounted.

2. United States under William Jefferson Clinton
UA- That Depends on What Your Definition of Is...is: 25% increase in the likelihood of brokering Peace Deals with an AI. Diplomats in the World Congress may Trade 6 Votes (8 Votes in the United Nations).

3. North Korea under Kim Jong-il
UA- Long Live the King: +25% to Great Artist generation. Military Units gain +25% against Rebels/Barbarians.

4. Russian Federation under Vladimir Putin
UA- KGB, 123: Counterspies 25% more likely to catch enemy agents. 25% reduction in the duration of Resistance in each Puppeted City.

Ronald Reagan.

Tear Down Walls - Somehow ideological pressure is increased by building modern units like armor and submarines, jet fighters etc. Also through Broadcast media.

Nehru or Indira Gandhi for India instead of Mahatma Gandhi, Gandhi was never a leader of India and even if he had been, he'd have been awful at it. Besides him I'd go for Sheikh Zayed Al-Nayan, (The Gulf states are probably not deserving of a civ but the guy really is a legend.) Vladmir Putin and Neslon Mandela. Actually, there are probably some interesting potential civ builds here, anyone care to elaborate on their suggestions with an outline?

Hard question.

It would have to be a civ that I'd want to include to start with, and, then, it would have to be a leader that I'd prefer to have over any other possible leader for that civ.

That really slims down the list. For Brazil, Lula might be a good leader, but over Pedro II or Vargas? Mandela would have awesome potential, but I'm not sure about South Africa as a civ.

So, post war leaders of civs...

Venice makes for a great civ, but what about the Holy See as a different kind of small civ? John Paul II might not be the very best of all popes ever, but certainly made a huge mark on the world and is quite recognizable. Enough so I could give him the nod. UA would simply have to be something about religion. Maybe cause fairly severe unhappiness when at war with the Holy See (as he was a fairly political guy).

Charles de Gaulle could make his return to France. Not that Napoleon is bad, but, come on, there are plenty of leaders of France, and de Gaulle is as good as any to be a part of a cycle. His UA could have to do with friendships or alliances, and probably cultural, as France tends to be. Hard to say since Civ games tend to change a lot with each new sequel.

Finally, and this is a stretch, introduce Chile with Pinochet. I'm not crazy about the civ, but, really, the well runs dry pretty quickly. I feel like it's a lot like introducing Hitler to Germany though (both in I don't feel Germany should probably be a civ and that Hitler, while perhaps the single most important and effective ruler, is a bad choice for obvious reasons, I feel the same about Chile and Pintochet). For a UA, let him flat out ignore the effects of minor unhappiness. Not that it counts as happy, but no loss of growth, production, military strength, golden age points, etc.

All of those UA's are based on the person, as well, though many UA's are based on the civ. Elizabeth has Sun Never Sets, but is before the discovery of the Americas. Sweden is known for the Nobel Prize, not any leader, and certainly not one from before Nobel was born! Isabella similarly has a UA that refers to a moment well after when she lived, and Germany, a time before the nation, or the kingdoms that would sit on that piece of land, even existed! But I like a UA that goes with the leader, not just the civ.

There is no reason not have both Italy and Rome for example, they are not the same country.
I would like to see United Kingdom with Clement Attlee, United Arab Republic with Gamal Abdel Nasser, and Turkey with Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.

there are threads full of reasons not to have italy and rome, but they're not really worth getting into here. for the record, though, i think the way they did it in civ 5 was fine.
i'd like to see an inuit civ in the game eventually and it seems that there are a few modern leaders who would fit the bill, though most of them are still alive.
and from reading a bit about louis beel, he sounds like he might make a decent leader for the netherlands

Germany: Willy Brandt
Turkey/Ottoman Empire: Atatürk
Celts/Ireland: Michael Collins
USA: Teddy Rooselvelt
Egypt: Anwar Sadat
Aztecs/Mexico: Pancho Villa

Hmmm, looking at the above, idea:
I'd probably advocate perhaps two leaders for each Civ: many countries have undergone different incarnations in their histories (Roman Empire & Italian Republic, Ottoman Empire/Turkey, "the Celts", Scotland/Ireland, 13 Colonies & USA etc). Why not a choice of two leaders for those Kingdoms and appropriate UA/UB/UUs for each as well as a differing list of cities based on historical importance. Not entirely unlike Rhye's but going that one stage further.

For example, England could have an Ancient England/Wessex/Albion and a modern England. Leader for Ancient England is Alfred the Great, capital is Winchester, UA - something about negating unhappiness from capture of enemy cities (reflecting England's assimilation of waves of foreign invaders as per the intro text). UB - Burghal Hidage, boosts fort defensive power by 25%, +1 gold. UU - Huscarl (replaces spearman), boost against swordsmen and equivalent units. A more modern England could be represented by Elizabeth, Victoria, Churchill or whomever with a slightly different set of bonuses where the capital is London etc

Would Mandela join the Zulu nation with Shaka or would he have to be South Africa? If so that's another "new" country.

Mandela was Xhosa, I believe, so that would be a new nation. Also, for my picks...

1. King Hussein, Jordan
2. David Ben-Gurion, Israel
3. Ruhollah Khomeini, Iran/Persia

I'm interested in Middle East politics, so those are my choices.

Mandela was Xhosa, I believe, so that would be a new nation. Also, for my picks...

1. King Hussein, Jordan
2. David Ben-Gurion, Israel
3. Ruhollah Khomeini, Iran/Persia

I'm interested in Middle East politics, so those are my choices.

Come on, I'm a Middle East politics guy, but you can't suggest Hussein without at least King Faisal. And I'd throw in Sheikh Zayed Bin Rashid Al-Nahyan, because he's a pretty amazing figure.

Undoubtedly Henry Parkes of Australia, Lester B. Pearson of Canada and Benito Juarez of Mexico :)

No biases :crazyeye:

Margaret Thatcher, Angela Merkel, and ....

Finnish President Conan O'Brien.

http://static.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/halonenetu5mp_uu.jpg

/i keed, i keed

As a Finn I found this very offending sir! President O'Brien was good for us.. to poop on! :mischief:

There is only one post-WWII president I could imagine in Civilization series. Urho Kekkonen could be leader for ultimate war avoiding civilization, that is just fine to be left alone in building welfare state out of wood, but has OP morale bonuses in defensive war.

Of course Finnish civilization will never happen in Civilization series, if not in mods. Finland is too small to be a 'civilization' on itself and has less marketing value than Vikings (Denmark) or Ikea (Sweden). Just give us a City State, but be careful to not take our tiles..

rupert murdoch. he practically dictates to politicians here what policies to have, in order to gain support of his news organisations, because ppl are dumb enough to vote how murdochs papers or news channels tell them, rather than think about the actual issues for themselves.

personally i think it should be illegal for journalists to back political parties, as corruption of the democratic system, or for that matter to have 'angles' on any story. they should present all the facts (not just the ones that match the owners political views, and then neglecting to mention any facts which contradict their 'slant' on the matter in question), and let people make up their own minds. in fact FORCE people to THINK and make up their own minds. anyways there is a great and unelected leader for you.

Top Bottom