1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Name 5 US-companies with a reputation for quality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aroddo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

Whattabout musical instrument companies like Fender, Gibson (that should be a shoe-in great company), Carvin is a great U.S. brand that might be worth looking into.

I think it's hard to overlook Dell. You may complain about some of the products they release, but they are pretty much the Go-To company for businesses with regards to desktops and even servers. Through other company acquisitions they have created a pretty impressive server hardware/software lineup to rival just about any brand. The only other big hitter in this category is HP and their brand name is slowly waning.

Cisco as others have mentioned is a great one as well. Albeit horribly overpriced products, there is little to compare to for the high-tech business world, and it's a name everyone knows and trusts.

Firearms manufacturers. Leave your opinions of guns at home, but some of these places have been in business in the U.S. for close to 200 years! Smith & Wesson (since 1852!), Glock (used by law enforcement), Colt (since 1836!), Remington (since 1816!).

Plenty of food companies, but "quality" is very subjective when it comes to food: Nathan's Hot Dogs, Frank's Red Hot, Ben and Jerry's, etc.

Knife manufacturers that have also been around a very very long time: Buck, Gerber, Chicago Cutlery, Case.

Johnson and Johnson

2. Tenochtitlan

Tenochtitlan Supreme Commander

Intel.

3. Theige

Theige American Baron

Should have been mentioned by now:

Proctor & Gamble
    Pfizer
    Merck
    PepsiCo
    Qualcomm

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I dunno how you can consider products by Coca-Cola and PepsiCo to be quality... sure, in the realm of crappy packaged food, they might be better than store-brand products, but that's a pretty low standard.

5. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

Heinz Ketchup
    Coca Cola
    Microsoft!
    Google
    KRAFT foods

Apple sucks, it really really sucks its just a brand.

6. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

Microsoft
    Boeing
    Buick
    Motorola
    General Electric

7. Theige

Theige American Baron

This is America, we love our crappy packaged food ;)

8. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

As mentioned, food products are subjective to opinions. It really depends on your definition of what "quality" is.

With regards to food: If you mean a "wholesome healthy product" then Cola definitely is not. If you mean an "affordable product that tastes good" then most would agree Cola is quality. If you use the OP's wording and say a product that "have a reputation for good quality" then does that mean that Cola has generally always been the same without rash outbreaks of poisonings or sicknesses or bad mixtures? Outside of the short live "New Coca Cola" then I think CocaCola would fit in here as well. What about "Quality Ingredients"? Well they don't use fresh water chipped from Alaskan ice ridges and American CocaCola uses High Fructose and not Sugar, but eh?

Arguing without setting the standards for why a food product is or is not quality is rather pointless. I would argue that Nathan's makes a quality hot dog. They are affordable, taste damn good (the most important part), and I don't remember hearing of any poisonings or sickness outbreaks from Nathan's ever (although I'm sure if you search the internet you will find one). But then someone would come in here and argue how they are "not quality" because of the nature of a hotdog, it's ingredients and what parts of a pig or cow the meat comes from, and the nutrional value.

In the end, food is subjective, so maybe not the best option for the argument unless you set some ground rules for what is considered "quality".

9. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

I can probably name a hundred good game developers in this country...

10. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

So what? So are most German car manufacturers, despite the fact that the OP mentioned German engineering as superior to that of the US.

11. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

So what? Well, for one thing, if a company doesn't actually do anything but divert the produce of third-world slave houses to marketing budgets while pocketing the rest, you don't really have much insurance when the marketing stops working! ;)

12. Verbose

Verbose Deity

S&W, Colt and Remington are legitimately American enough, but Glock is Austrian.:)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

13. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Colt has suffered severe quality issues since the 1980s, indeed the military production of American M16s had to be given to the Belgians. As far as I know their AR-15s is Colt's sole remaining successful firearm product.

Smith and Wesson made an agreement with Bill Clinton to manufacture and distribute their guns according to anti-gun rhetoric. It's a huge stain on their reputation as far as their customer base goes and there are gun owners who will not touch a new S&W gun.

Remington has been dogged for years by claims (largely unfounded) that their popular model 700 is unsafe and defective but ultimately, among gun owners, they do have a great reputation for quality.

Of course Glock isn't American.

14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Even before that. In the 1980s Colt was using machine tools 100 years old. You can't get quality products that way.

15. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Not being american I can think of a few quality suppliers of "enterprise" products, but not really of any consumer product. I guess that whatever quality consumer products you may still make, you don't export them.

And Apple is crap anyway.

So?

16. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

The OP is suspiciously worded in a way that appears to say: let's force them to admit all American companies are crap - oh, wait, they're good at something, better exclude that. And Apple.

17. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Many "American" consumer products are produced around the world and sold under local and regional names. So many of the same things are out there, but you may not realize that they are American products. And many American consumer products have been outsourced, so the American name on them is an imported product.

American companies export a lot of intermediate goods, components of other goods, and capital goods instead of as much manufactured finished consumer products.

18. Arwon

Arwon

I will say one thing: most of your chocolate is awful. Ghirardelli is the only exception I ran across.

19. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

I suppose food is subjective sometimes, but there is definitely differences between products that make one superior to the other that the vast majority of people would agree on. A company that often leaves food that is close to expiration on its shelves (like Walmart) versus places that generally sell a lot more fresh, made-in-store food (like Whole Foods), for example.

Now while there might be plenty of people willing to eat brownish mushy strawberries, I find it hard to believe that most people would pick those over ones that are bright red and firm when given the choice.

I mean there is enough potential attributes that are generally considered "good" by most of the population that ruling out food entirely seems wrong. After all, you could basically cut out all things like clothing and furniture based on the same reasoning (that much of what makes them appealing is subjective).

20. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

This opinion is probably because you had a bad experiance with a cell phone. Motorola has an outstanding reputation in the military/industrial sphere which is by far the bulk of their buisness.

IBM is one of the great success stories of the last five years. You have your opinion because they conciously moved out of the PC hardware business into business software and consulting. They have an outstanding reputation, and their stock reflects this.

Please back this up.

In any case:

3M
    Salesforce
    FedEx
    Johnson and Johnson
    Boeing