1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Name 5 US-companies with a reputation for quality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aroddo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. dIZZyBlIZZy

dIZZyBlIZZy Batteries not included

I'll admit I was looking at excellence of product and customer service, but I think the best companies and small business do both well.

BTW - Should we add Ocean Marakating (however it's spelled) to the list :lol:

2. NYHunter

NYHunter King

It does not appear (to my eye) that the following have been mentioned.

Clorox
    Tupperware
    Welch's
    Everlast
    Rubbermaid
    Hallmark Cards

3. Mongoloid Cow

Mongoloid Cow Great Khan

Really? I mean really? The standard for the definition for quality must really have fallen extraordinarily low for J & J to ever make the list. Their products are all crappy and almost dangerously over-perfumed.

I agree with you on 3M though. Definate quality there. To me it's the only undisputable company on the thread so far that I've actually heard of.

4. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Well let's see ... pretty okay for ~5 million inhabitants if you ask me.

Ad hominem fail.

5. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

wait? He asks what Albania manufactures and you come with al list of Scotish compagnies

If you would come from Scotland (I am in the understanding that you come from Germany?) I would get your point, but now :confused:

6. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

It was a name for Scotland in medieval Latin.

They make almost everything in Asian slave-houses (often the same ones as their "foreign" rivals Reebok, etc), and pay athletes and people "big on the street" (including gangsters) to wear them and pretend they are "cool". And we get this creepyness:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16324256

Does anyone know if they actually make anything in the US? I know they employ lots of people in Oregon, but not sure what they do.

7. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

aahh, learn something new every day :)

8. metatron

metatron unperson

I don't get why it's so hard for people to read, understand and accept the OP's conditions:

A company that has a strong reputation for the quality of their physical consumer products.

That disqualifies Cat, Boeing, Lockhead Martin, Disney and lots of other nonsense that has been posted.

I don't get why you'd percieve these criteria as "unfair" or anything like that. Sure they are hard; it's a challange that's the point. I have a strong suspicion that the US are the only nation on earth that has 5 fairly well known international companies that fit those criteria.
    If i try to do this for Japan and Germany (you know, the nations that supply the world with all those fancy machina parts) i am terribly stuck at three in either case (and of those 6 companies 5 happen to produce cars...).
    So man up everybody.

That's Aldi. Since 1979.
    Retailers are pretty much disqulified under the OP's conditions anyway.
    That's one company. And they suck, suck, suck.

Anyway...
    Kraft looks like a pretty strong suggestion to me.
    Levi's anyone?
    And what about Ford? (Who outside the more moronic parts of the US cares about the scrap metal that GM produces these days?)

9. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

You can say what you want but Disney does produce consumer goods.

10. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

USPS is better than FedEx. Except maybe for some overnight business use. But that's expensive.

11. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Irrelevant. The simple fact is it is extremely ironic for a person to be critical of other nations for importing fractions of their manufactured goods when he is from a country that imports 100% of everything.

ironic, as you fail to use this label correctly you actually perform the act youself.

12. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

au contraîre,

You made an Ad Hominum by insinuating that Scotland wouldn't manufacture anything.
    Leoreth countered that by showing a list that proved that insinuation wrong.
    Therefore your ad hominum directed at Pangur failed.

actually, you comitted and second Ad hominum it the above post by stating that Leoreth has no business being critical since Germany is supposed to import 100% everything... I will let it to Leoreth to disprove this attack.

EDIT: wait.. that second Ad Hominum could again be directed at Pangur.... in which case it wouldn't be the smartest attack since Leoreth just proved that wrong.....

EDIT2: sorry forgot to go into this part
    exactly where did Leoreth made an Ad hominum directed at you (or anyone else for that matter)

13. metatron

metatron unperson

I didn't claim they didn't.
    Unfortunatly said condition had the word "physical" in it.

The only thing physical about Disneys products are the media i.e. the packaging.
    Saying Disney produces and sells physical products it like saying Heinz' products where glass bottles and Nike's products where nice little boxes (that they happen to have ketchup or shoes in them would be less significant, you'd go out to buy those fine boxes).

14. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Doesn't disney also make toys?

15. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

then I misunderstood :)

but this:

?

16. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

General Motors
    Boeing
    Lockheed Martin
    Winchester
    Remington

17. metatron

metatron unperson

Is that what their reputation as a company is based on?

The OP does not clearly state that the reputation has to be actually based on the physical consumer products. But i felt that was strongly implied.

18. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

1.) asking what a country manufactures is not an ad hominem.

2.) I said nothing about what Scotland wouldn't manufacture, I commented on what Albainia doesn't.

He did no such thing.

See #1

I have said nothing about Leoreth or Germany in this thread, I suggest you read it again.
    Leoreth has proved nothing wrong, and there have been no ad hominems in this thread. Ad hominems are attacks on persons, thus discussing the manufacturing abilities of countries (in this case Albania) can never qualify.

When he falsely accused me of making one. Glass houses and such.

19. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

You know, I'm starting to guess this might be a troll thread?

20. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

not as such, but in the context it was an attack on the country of origin of the other debater, which made it an Ad Hominem

You meant nowadays Albania, he interpreted it as Old Scotland...

anyway,you said this:
    some export products of Albania
    footwear; asphalt, metals (source: Wikipedia)

that has been established, however I did

See #1 and #2 :)

As you could have read in my 'EDIT2' I admitted I could have read it wrong.
    once again an Ad Hominem turned sour

what I said in respons #1, in the context it was an Ad Hominem.
    Judging from you reactions you take such things personal, why wouldn't others do that?

not falsely he just used the wrong evidence to proof it *looks accusingly at Leoreth :nono:*