1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Name, Flag, Motto, Anthem,

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by Nobody, Dec 9, 2005.

1. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

add this motto: all people are equal, but *name of our citizens* are more equal than the rest
    add this anthem:

People of *name*, People of *name*,
    People of every city and clime,
    Harken to my joyful tidings,
    Of the Golden Future Time

Sooner or later the day is comin'
    When Tyrant Barbarians shall be o'erthrown
    And the fruitful fields of *name*
    Shall be trod by the free alone

Barbarians shall vanish from our cities
    And the filthy animals from behind our back
    The Terror shall rust forever
    Cruel Whips shall no more crack

Riches more than the mind can picture,
    Meat and fruits, Bread and Grain,
    Equality, Money and a Vote
    Shall be ours upon that day

Bright shall shine the ground of *name*
    Purer shall it's waters be
    Cleaner yet shall blow it's breezes
    On the day that sets us free

For that day we have labored
    And now it has arrived
    North, South, East and West
    To keep it this way we all must strive

People of *name*, People of *name*,
    People of every city and clime,
    Harken to my joyful tidings,
    Of the Golden Future Time

2. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

YOU DIDNT COME UP WITH THAT!!!:mad: THEIF:eek: THEIF:eek: THEIF:eek:

Beasts of England, Beasts of Ireland,
    Beasts of EVery Land and Clime

And I don't remember the rest and to lazy to look it up.

3. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

i made the changes

4. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

everything is updated, Robopig could you name your anthem, and could someone get the censor on the line, tell him that the polls are ready for posting, god(darn i reached my commandmant breaking limit, well i guess that means no coveting bob's wife today) i feel like an overworked CEO, someone get me my golf clubs! :lol: :lol: I bet i'm the only one who will find that funny! I have an odd sense of humour( ya thats right i'm american and i still put in the U HA!) :crazyeye: :lol:

5. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

my anthem is called Beasts of England remix

6. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

I'll put Beasts of *NAtion name*

7. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

Is it wrong that whenever I read animal farm, I automatically assume that Beasts of England is to "Deutchland Deutchland Uber Alles"?

Anywho, It'd work.

And may I suggest for a name: FanataRedux ?

8. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Not even gonna go there.... :p

9. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

Stuck_as_a_mac, is that an actual name you want:crazyeye: just asking, making sure:mischief:

10. Bengeance

Bengeance Civ Retributioner

How about for anthem "We are the World"

Name could be The People's Democratic State of Empiria

Our motto: Strength from the Freedom of the People

Our Flag: Sigma's Starburst Flag

11. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I don't quite like the "Sigma improved" version of Swissempire's flag. A flag and a typical free-scaling symbol (meaning it can be scaled to any size, very large or very small), and a basic rule for free-scaling symbols is: Do not use 3-D effects.

Also, the rectangles are somewhat disproportioned. The four "squars" in the middle are not really square.

12. Sigma

Sigma Censor

I was under the impression that Swissempire was satisfied with the version of his flag that I made. I saved the original vector PNG so I can resize the flag to any size that I want, and it will still look okay. And I added some 3D effects to the cross in the center because I wanted it to stand out.

It's up to Swissempire if he wants me to change the redone version of his flag.

13. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

Critisizing other people's work is easy, doing it yourself is hard. With that in mind, I present you my own enhanced version of Swissempire's flag design:

Normal size:

Icon size (32 * 32 at most):

I have serious doubt that your 3-D version would still look OK at avatar or even icon size. If you think it does, I'd like to have a look.

This version of mine is created in Adobe Illustrator CS2, btw.

I've never heard of "vector PNG", The official PNG website clearly states: "PNG (pronounced "ping") is the Portable Network Graphics format, a format for storing bitmapped (raster) images on computers."

14. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I would also like to refer to the List of National Flags on Wikipedia, where you can see that no national flag uses 3-D effects:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Nationalflaggen

(This is the Germen Wikipedia entry with thumbnail-size graphics, the English version only has icon-size graphics.)

15. I am the Future

I like BlkBirds version best. Looks more like a real flag.

16. Sigma

Sigma Censor

*Note: All images are attached below.

I use Macromedia Fireworks 8 to design and draw all of my images. While I am by no means a professional, I do know what I am doing and occasionally will work as a freelance website graphics designer.

To answer your question about a vector PNG, a vector image is an image that stores the properties of its elements rather than the color of each pixel, so it can be resized without distorting the true contents of the image. Fireworks stores its files in a vector PNG format.

Just as you've asked, I've provided an avatar and icon version of the flag. The avatar version looks just fine, and while the icon version does not retain all of the details, I'd argue that neither does yours, but both do enough to make it identifiable. Once you drop down below a certain size, it is impossible, especially for a flag this busy, to make an image that looks just as good as a larger version.

As for my reasoning behind the 3D effect, the webpage with the flags that you showed were all 2D, redrawn, images. As you can see from the image of a star that I attached (which is taken from the American Flag), flags in real life are very much 3D and have texture. If this flag were to be stiched in real life, it could be done in such a way that it promoted the cross in the center, making it look raised. So why must we restrain ourselves to using only a flat 2D flag, when we can have one that looks more like a real one would?

Attached Files:

17. I am the Future

I nominate the plane star in the above post. It is simple and looks good. The star represents Power. The fact that their is one represents our unity and the blue represents the fact that we are better then other nations. The white of the star represents peace.

18. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

I certainly do know what a vector image is - I'm using Illustrator (as opposed to Photoshop, though Photoshop has a pretty extended feature set for vector elements now), a vector graphic program (and a direct competitor of Fireworks - though Adobe and Macromedia have now mergered - what an irony), am I not? Still, "vector PNG" sounds very strange to me, but I googled for "fireworks vector png", and indeed it seems Fireworks has some sort of a "vector PNG" format, which appears to be a perprietary extension of the common PNG format.

I agree that the flag is too complex to look nice and clear as an icon. But I disagree with your judgment about your avatar version, which btw exceeds the 70 * 70 size limit. In particular, the 3-D gradient of the red square has made it look more pink than red. This is a common effect when gradient gets scaled down, and it just doesn't look good.

Because it *is not* real, it's meant for computer screen. Why, do you think, do different versions of a flag exist in the first place? Because depending on the medium, different versions look more or less fitting. On a low-res medium like the computer screen, readability comes first, especially when the size goes down. For the same reason, vector fonts (like the most common ones, Times New Roman, Arial, etc.) still have a bitmap version (called "hinting bitmap") of each character stored inside for display on the computer screen (they are only used below a certain size, like 12, above that the vector version is taken and scaled).

Design for the right medium, that principle is being violated by your idea of "simulating" a "real" flag.

19. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

A poll over all this will be posted over all this once we find out what civ we are (we're going with a random one). Traditionally, there's been a desire to do a bit of theme naming to correspond with our in-game nation (for example, DG2 was Fantika (Germany), DG3 was Fanatica (Rome), DG4 was Fanatica (France), DG5 was Japanatica (Japan), DG6 was Fanatannia (England), and DG7 is Fanatikos (Greece)).

20. Blkbird

Blkbird Chieftain

That's pretty confusing, identical names for two consecutive games. Or did you just mistype? ;)