Named ships

LOVE_Magiska

Warlord
A nice (though rather useless) feature in Civ4 would be the AI actually naming its ships. Each civ could have a list of shipnames, and the AI would just select one at random whenever it builds a ship.
IMHO seeing "HMS Victory (English)" sailing into your waters would just add so much more depth then just seeing "English Frigate".
And it's not like it would take that much effort to program, should be fairly easy.
Opinions? :)

Sounds nice at the beginning... But then, how many ship names does one need? Would a galley "HMS Victory" be as impressive as a frigate or a battleship?

We are already able to name our own units... And we already know about the repetition of names from the towns...
I think, it would be a nice feature when seen for the first time, but after that it would loose a bit.

I support this idea. May be, the names could be split into ages? That way, HMS Victory will never be a galley (nor somthing like that.)

I missed a feature like that also for armys. If a leader create a army in Civ3, IMHO the army should named after him (for example "Caesars Legions"), or specifical for each Civ (i.e. ancient roman Armys are "Legions"). This would give some more little flavor. But for now, we don't know if/how armys will be included in Civ4... so this may be unless.

Yes this is a good idea. I would take it a step further and include within the game a master dictionary where the AI could choose random yet sensible name combinations for various unit types. The less sensible combinations would provide a bit of humor for the session.

Top Bottom