1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Naming of geographical features

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Scrabbler, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Scrabbler

Scrabbler Chieftain

This idea is just about flavour - there are no gameplay changes involved.

Any reasonably-sized geographical feature should automatically get a name, visible on the tooltip alongside the name of the continent. For example, rivers, mountain ranges, lakes, deserts, islands that are three or four tiles or larger. There are two options: 1) name them randomly from a list of real-world features, so rivers could be the Nile, Orinoco, Yangtze, etc, or 2) name them based on the start position of the nearest civ, so rivers near France could be the Seine or Loire. You can change the names at any time.

I think this could be quite fun for historical immersion and could be incorporated into the flavour text and notifications: "Russia has cleared a barbarian camp in the Gobi desert", "a source of iron has been found on the island of Sumatra" and so on.

2. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I was going to suggest the names could come from the continent name, but, well, good luck with landforms on Lemuria or Pangaea Ultima. :p Still, I like the idea.

God of Kings and Guandao like this.
  3. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

That would be an interesting addition.

4. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

I believe that Alpha Centauri had some named geographical features.