1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Naming Stuff

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by Alphawolf, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

We should probably start thinking about naming items in game. So I'm opening this thread for suggestions.

Also for those who have not noticed signs are now saved after patch v1.52

-the Wolf

2. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I suggest this could be a responsibility for the Minister of the Interior, when it comes to naming resource deposits, forests and major landmarks relevant to planning.

3. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

The key thing is naming cities, of which we have three options - naming by order of citizen registration, by order of precedence in Government (ie the President names the first city, the Secy. of War names the second, Secy. of State the third, etc.), or by acclamation (via a poll for each city/group of cities).

4. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

Sec of State is higher than Sec of War. I like the last two ideas better, and I'm leaning towards acclamation.

-the Wolf

5. bantste

bantste Chieftain

I also think that acclamation is the best idea.

6. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

A discussion thread/poll for each city could take a while. What are we going to do in game for 1 turnchat, or maybe 2? Just name it "TBD"?? I'd like to have the people name them, and not just the government. If we stick with the government, we'd need >10 cities to be founded in one term so citizens can name one - like that's going to happen.

7. Sigma

Sigma Censor

Would it be possible to have some city names voted upon ahead of time? Like having a queue of names to pick from?

Or how about we allow the first Governor of the city to choose its name?

8. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

In the past, for some the ability to name their city was seen as a perk of being willing to serve in an office. It was a factor in my decision to run for the 1st President of one game.

Others see getting their city named as their chief accomplishment of the game, because they don't want to hold office. This fuels a race to be the first to sign up in the citizen registry. A certain individual (who usually has access to the forum before it is even visible to the rest of us) usually wins that race, so technically it's a race to be second. :lol:

We have also had proposals in the past to put a certain number of proposed city names in a poll, and assign them according to voting. If we keep a queue of 5 or so names ready at all times, it would be enough. In Civ4, settlers come much slower so there is far less chance that more than one city will be founded per play session.

We could ensure that everyone is happy (or rather everyone is equally disappointed) by just leaving the city names default for our civ.

I suggest we proceed as follows.
    • Let this discussion run its course.
    • If the game starts before we decide how to do it, leave city names as defaults.
    • Poll for method of naming cities.
    • Implement winning method, and rename cities if necessary.

9. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

I say that we do it kinda like this:
    Go through the citiens Rgistry and pick the first 15 names for cities
    Put them in a poll
    Pick the winner as our city
    Repeat as neccessary

WE might want an examption for that with our capital and hold a competinion like with the Preamble, Country Name, motto, flag, etc.

Just my 2 cents

10. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

we should name the cities by geography! makes most sense after all

11. I am the Future

I do that a lot to, but that dosnt really work. A few examples are London, Paris, New York, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Stalingrad, Tokyo, Los Angelas, Pheonix, Salem. Do I need to go on?

12. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

how about geography and notable indivuals in the game?

13. I am the Future

That would be interesting.

Here is an idea what if a nameing commity was writen into the goverment some where? Then they would come up with 5 names and they would be voted on by the citizens assembly.

14. RoboPig

RoboPig Chieftain

"that's a fine idea", future did have a fine idea
    -forrest gump

15. Octavian X

The name of a city would be decided by a vote before the city is founded - the naming poll would run simultaneously with the placement poll. This doesn't preclude citizens from suggesting names, and in fact moves away from the elitism that is inherent when we give naming rights based on certain types of rank.

16. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

If Octavians Idea is not a law it should be one, that is the best idea i've heard!! I love naming things, and i just discovered that you can anme things in the world builder. Will we be able to do that in Game? I mean doesnt Mt. Chip just roll off the tongue:lol:

17. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Both cities and units can be named in-game. Also there is a cool function that if you go into the strategy view you can place a signpost which gets saved along with the game, so we can name mountain ranges etc -- as long as we don't mind all the billboards cluttering up the wilderness. ;)

18. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

everybody likes billboards!

19. Octavian X

We've got a set of options for cities. Now how about landmarks? We could let the Interior Ministry or individual governors do it, or we could decide those by vote as well.

20. Gloriana

Gloriana Chieftain

Always in favour of voting, increases the degree of participation ;)