NaNoWriMo 2006

If anyone could offer their opinion of this brief snippet from the first chapter I've written, that'd be great. I write an average of 1,000 words per day, but I only write every other day so when I do write I get in 2,000 or so. Should be done at this rate sometime in January-February.

One last update - I won! I did 14,000 words yesterday, because the momentum took over. The end result is barely good enough for a first draft - it's too short, it's out of order, I condensed the most important parts in 4000 words, and the dialogue is ridiculous. But it is written.

NaNoWriMo 2007 is here!

Rather than make a new thread, I decided to bump this one. I just started a few minuted ago, with a whopping 35 words (I am at work, so I won't get much until I get home). My goal is to reach 10K by the end of this weekend.

Is anyone else around here doing this? I made a thread on the NaNo forums but got no responses . . .

I will not be participating. I wobbled too wildly between a near-future dystopia that would end up being a vehicle for my political opinions, a fantasy novel that would be hackneyed and cliched and generally bad, and a movie script for Jedis vs Nazis in Middle-Earth. In the end, I thought it was better that I not inflict these abominations upon the earth.
(Idea #4 was a fanfic for an obscure game. Don't ask. Really don't ask.)

I've signed up, and I woke up early this morning to get started on my story. This should be good for me, even though I've never written anything over 15,000 words.

I got 6150 words so far today. I just don't know if I have the self motivation to actually do this. And my story will probably suck.

Hmmm... I'm intrigued. How many pages (12 point doublespaced) is 50,000 words? Not that I really have time for that, but I'm intrigued.

Are you doing it again this year, Eran? If you're worried about dialouge, most libraries have a copy of Stephen King's On Writing, which is pretty good.

It worked out to about 150-175. Of course, the trick is to do things like take words that are usually hyphenated and make them two words, but I have to balance that out with all the really long made up proper nouns.

And I am doing it again this year, it is a pre-pre-pre-quel of sort, and I am trying to see if I can get 3 different storylines going in 3 different eras. Oh well, even if it ends up being ridiculous, it is still a challenge. And when I get a chance I think I will check out that book you mention.

Ah, that's no excuse. Just because the story is incoherent, poorly written, and ludicrous shouldn't stop you. I mean, have you read some of the books that get published? ;)

On the contrary, it should stop me - and it should have stopped the writers of those books too. I can't even claim that I didn't know better. :)

I'd personally try for that OTHER writing contest, the one for the worst opening sentence for a novel. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me, however.

I just joined this thread so haven't read it. I assume you are all writing crappy generic sci-fi and/or crappy generic fantasy? Someone should write a book about people who write crappy generic sci-fi and crappy generic fantasy and how they all fantasize that their crappy generic sci-fi and crappy generic fantasy isn't crappy and generic. Maybe I'll do that!

I'd personally try for that OTHER writing contest, the one for the worst opening sentence for a novel. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me, however.

Bulwer-Lytonn.

And I never claimed my sci-fi/fantasy is anything other than crappy or generic. I don't really care about quality. I just want to prove to myself that I can do it.

Ah, yes, Bulwer-Lytton. Thanks, Eran. I'm sure I could come up with some gems.

I just joined this thread so haven't read it. I assume you are all writing crappy generic sci-fi and/or crappy generic fantasy? Someone should write a book about people who write crappy generic sci-fi and crappy generic fantasy and how they all fantasize that their crappy generic sci-fi and crappy generic fantasy isn't crappy and generic. Maybe I'll do that!

I tried it already, and guess what? It was crappy and generic as well.:blush:

I'm in, of course. Last year I didn't get past 8,000, I think, but that was due to a multitude of papers. This year, hopefully, it won't happen. I'll probably go again with a sci-fi idea. Never know...

And the hiro protagonist is an internet nerd who is a loner but rises the ranks and uses his insane wit and intelligence to dismantle a repressive government.

I'm trying the whole dystopian thing (not how I just stated it), except on a more personal level. I am also making a sort of Gulliver's Travel's in space, although, I have never read Gulliver's Travels, so I don't know if that's true. But it'd be a comedy of sorts.

I am also writing a story about a kid who has a mental condition of some sorts and believes that he (and his friend/sidekick) can be, essentially, superheroes, and don costumes and try to fight crime, when in reality they do the stupidest of things, and usually screw it up. That would be modern fiction/black comedy.

I am also writing a story about a kid who has a mental condition of some sorts and believes that he (and his friend/sidekick) can be, essentially, superheroes, and don costumes and try to fight crime, when in reality they do the stupidest of things, and usually screw it up. That would be modern fiction/black comedy.

So, Don Quiote but Chivalry <=> Superpowers and with no sane companion to look after them?

Top Bottom